Candidate takes narrow lead over opponent in District 8 election, updated results show

(cropped) Lori Droste_MDrummon(District8)

As of Tuesday morning, updated ranked-choice voting results show that Lori Droste leads by 0.1 percentage points in the race for the District 8 City Council seat, only four votes ahead of runner-up George Beier.

According to results posted by the Alameda County Registrar of Voters, a total of 4,898 votes have been accounted for, including mail-in ballots. On Wednesday, George Beier led in District 8 with 50.5 percent of the votes. Since then, Droste and Beier have been neck and neck in the race for District 8.

In elections with more than two candidates, ranked-choice voting works to eliminate candidates and redistribute their votes. At this point, votes are still being counted and the results have not been finalized.

If elected, Droste hopes to address the lack of student housing and sexual assault problems on campus. She would be the first open lesbian to sit on council. Beier, who also identifies as gay, plans to concentrate on reviving the Telegraph Avenue area by adding housing and reviving businesses if elected.

District 8 covers the Clark Kerr campus and includes the majority of the Elmwood area, bounded by Telegraph Avenue to the west. The winner will replace Gordon Wozniak, who served 12 years on City Council and is retiring this year.

Contact Amy Jiang at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.