2 robberies reported on campus Sunday

Two robberies occurred on campus Sunday night, according to police. One suspect has been arrested by police.

According to a UCPD crime alert released Wednesday, the first incident occurred at about 9:50 p.m. A male student was walking near Wheeler Hall on South Campus Drive when he was approached and surrounded by a group of five to six males. The student was pushed from behind, and one individual allegedly took the student’s property from his pockets. The males were last seen heading west.

At about 10 p.m., a second robbery occurred in the Eucalyptus Grove on the west side of campus. Two male students were walking on the path southeast of the grove when they were approached by six to seven male suspects, who fit the description of the first robbery suspects, police said. The group allegedly surrounded the students and demanded their property. One of the students believed that one of the men had a gun and complied with his demand. The individuals were last seen walking west toward Oxford Street.

A UCPD officer saw a group of individuals matching the description of the male suspects at the Downtown Berkeley BART station and detained one of the men while the others fled the vicinity. The suspect was positively identified by one of the students and taken into custody, police said. The students were not physically injured in the encounters.

The suspect in custody is a black male, 16 years old, 5-foot-8 in height and wearing a black GAP sweatshirt.

Police described the other suspects as black males in their 20s. Police request that those with information contact the UCPD criminal investigations bureau at 510-642-0472.

Sophie Ho is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @sophanho.