8 reasons everyone should drink green smoothies

6294025003_74cce3c923_b

Green smoothies are one of the greatest foods ever created. We know that sounds like a lofty statement now and that your image of green smoothies has probably been tarnished by the likes of intense juice cleanses, but hear us out! Green smoothies really are great. Here are some of the reasons.

1. They’re easy.

There is no meal or snack easier to make than a green smoothie. Just toss whatever fresh ingredients you have on hand into the blender with a little milk or milk substitute and blend away. Now we have no excuse not to make something nutritious.

2. They’re nutritious.

Leafy greens boost your immune system with all their phytonutrient, antioxidant-packed, illness-fighting badassery. Plus, they’re a convenient way to consume our recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables, which we sure as hell are not consuming regularly.

3. They’re versatile.

Fresh fruit, dried fruit, natural sweeteners, nut milks — there are so many different ingredients you can play around with to create the perfect green smoothie. We like blending two cups of spinach with two cups of almond milk and three cups of fresh fruit for a simple recipe. We recommend blending the milk with the greens first to avoid getting any leafy chunks, then adding in the fruit and blending again. Top with superfoods such as chia, hemp or pumpkin seeds and a scoop of nut butter.

4. They’re portable.

Take your green smoothie on the go! Take it to the gym or to class or sneak it into the movie theater with you in your bag. The point is that you can pour a green smoothie into any old bottle or mason jar, screw the lid on tight, and take your flawless little snack with you anywhere.

5. They boost your energy.

Green smoothies are more energizing than your tired, old daily cup of joe. The dark greens pack an extra punch with vitamins A, B, C and K, magnesium and iron, which help to keep your energy levels up for hours.

6. They’re filling.

Because all the ingredients are blended together, green smoothies retain their fiber component. Yay, fiber! All the liquid and fiber that make up green smoothies means you won’t be hungry for a while after drinking one, making green smoothies the perfect snack to hold you over until your next meal. Plus, they’re a great way to stay hydrated with all that liquid content.

7. They’re good for the environment.

Eating green is one of the greenest things you can do! Livestock generate more greenhouse gasses than the entire transportation sector combined. Therefore, by cutting down on animal products and eating more fruits and veggies, you’ll be scaling back your carbon footprint in the process.

8. They’re delicious.

They mask the taste of greens because — let’s be honest — who really enjoys chomping down on a big bowl of raw kale? Instead, green smoothies taste just as sweet and delectable as the fresh fruit that goes into them. Indulge in a treat that won’t add to your guilt as you settle in for that hours-long Netflix binge.

Image Sources: sivinjski danijel under Creative Commons

Contact Sravya Singampalli at [email protected].