Fiona Doyle appointed dean of Graduate Division

doylemug

Fiona Doyle, professor in the campus department of materials science and engineering, was appointed dean of the Graduate Division Thursday after the position was left vacant by former dean Andrew Szeri in June.

The Graduate Division oversees graduate school admissions, finances, development and academics. The dean is responsible for working with the Academic Senate’s Graduate Council on policy related to graduate education. Szeri was appointed vice provost of strategic academic and facilities planning.

Doyle currently serves as the executive associate dean of the campus College of Engineering and oversees Engineering Student Services, which provides advising for about 3,500 undergraduate engineering students, according to Doyle. Additionally, she is the interim director of the Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation, which was launched in June of last year.

“I’ve been overseeing engineering student affairs, and I really enjoy that part of my job, but I am looking forward to working with a larger number of graduate students,” Doyle said.

Though no concrete plans have been created, Doyle said she hopes to obtain more funding for graduate students by identifying ways that will resonate with donors and said it will be a “high priority” for her.

“She also possesses a keen understanding of, and capability for, fundraising — a skill that will be essential in the new position at the helm of the Graduate Division,” said Claude Steele, the campus executive vice chancellor and provost, in an email.

Steele also said Doyle’s service as chair of the Academic Senate, which oversees campus curriculum and faculty appointments, has given her “good grounding” in understanding myriad student issues.

Doyle will begin her term in the middle of the graduate admission and recruiting cycle. The Graduate Division works with individual departments to admit students based on the departments’ recommendations.

Rosemary Joyce, professor in the campus Department of Anthropology, has served as the interim dean since July and will continue her role until Doyle begins her term.

Doyle will also be working alongside four assistant deans, each responsible for a different sector of the Graduate Division.

“I am looking forward to working with such a well-respected leader who brings a wealth of experience from across campus,” said Andrea Rex, assistant dean for Graduate Student Services, a branch of the Graduate Division, in an email.

In addition, Doyle hopes to work with the Graduate Assembly, an organization that works with the Graduate Senate to develop policy for graduate programs.

Doyle will begin her term Jan. 1 of next year.

“Reaction to her appointment among my colleagues across campus has been very positive and assures me that she will make an excellent leader … in efforts to support graduate education at Berkeley,” Rex said.

Contact Adrienne Shih at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @adrienneshih.