Open UC movement occupies Wheeler Hall for 5 consecutive days

Students and other demonstrators gathered Saturday night to discuss solidarity with other UC campuses while planning the future of the Open UC movement on the fourth night of an ongoing sit-in.

The sit-in, which began Wednesday evening in response to a vote from the UC Board of Regents committee to increase tuition, moved to the second floor of Wheeler Hall — now referred to as Wheeler Commons by the demonstrators— to accommodate an unaffiliated acapella competition. Members of the movement met before returning to the ground floor.

Discussions ran throughout the evening and included issues of affiliating the Open UC movement with other political struggles worldwide and the movement’s own demographic makeup. There was also the question of whether or not any buildings will still be occupied during the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday break, though no decision was formalized.

Additionally, members of the movement voted unanimously to approve a proposal stating their solidarity with the occupation at UC Santa Cruz and their support of escalation if police evict or disrupt students occupying a UCSC campus building.

Such escalation, according to the Open UC’s website, could include UCSC students taking actions such as occupying another space or blocking a main road, but a representative from UCSC said UC Berkeley students may wish to adapt the definition of escalation to their own campus and needs.

Short films are planned to be screened in Wheeler Hall at 7:30 p.m. Sunday. Starting Monday, the official time for daily general assembly meetings will be set at 8 p.m.

Contact G. Haley Massara at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @BylineGraph.

• lovestohike

Students simply think that their parents and other adults are there to fork over their entire pay check so they can take a few classes, party hardy, and do little work. Students should stop this nonsense and find a job and do something productive for America.

Not every student should be going to school if they think they should always get a hand out.

its time for the students to start to pay for their decision to go to school instead of burdening seniors in California with high cost of your partying at UC Berkeley.

1) Get a job
    2) Get a scholarship
    3) Ask your parents and relatives for money
    4) Delay your education until you decide what you want to do with your life.
    5) Stop whining

THen perhaps your insane wish to steal more money from seniors and from your people you do not know would make sense.

What are you doing since you alone made the decision to go to school

Should you be going to a community college instead?

Your strike simply shows you cannot think outside the box to get educated.
    As such, we should NOT WASTE our tax payer money on your inability to decide what you want to do with your lives. You DECIDED TO GO. Now its time for you to DETERMINE how to pay for your wish.

• Your comment would make sense, if they year was 1980. Since then tuition has (nationwide) increased more than ten times. In the past, having a summer job was enough to pay for public school. This is simply not a reality anymore.

Expecting 18 year olds to conjure up $100,000’s is ridiculous. Where is that money supposed to come from? Two options: rich parents or debt.

Citizens can only “find a job and do something productive for America” if they are educated. That’s the point of higher education. It’s alarming to see so many people fail to grasp this. Education doesn’t just help the students, it helps the entire society by having an active workforce.

“Should you be going to a community college instead?” The different public higher education systems are based on rigorous academic admissions. If someone was admitted into UC, they deserve to be there. Community colleges fulfill a different task than a research universities. The choice shouldn’t be based on how wealthy your parents are. The system is built to place certain people into UCs, others in CSUs, and others in CCs based on their academic potential.