Donzale Mejia, a 23-year-old man who was arrested then released in connection with a June double shooting in Berkeley, was shot and killed in the Mosswood Park parking lot in Oakland last week.
According to the Contra Costa Times, Oakland Police Department Sgt. Eric Milina said he is trying to determine a motive for the shooting but, as of Friday, had no information regarding whether the crime was related to the shootings in Berkeley.
The Contra Costa Times reported that Mejia was shot multiple times at about 12:19 p.m. on Wednesday along the 3600 block of Webster Street and died later in a hospital. A bullet hit a city of Oakland public-works van passing the crime scene and shattered the passenger-side window, but the driver was not hurt, according to the newspaper. Oakland police officers pursued a suspect who fled in a pickup truck, the Contra Costa Times reported.
Mejia was arrested on suspicion of assault with a firearm in a June 11 shooting near the intersection of Russell and California streets that left two men, ages 18 and 21, with nonlife-threatening injuries. He was held in Berkeley City Jail with bail set at $60,000. The Alameda County District Attorney’s Office decided not to file charges against Mejia, and he was released.
Authorities suspected two other men, 21-year-old Charles Wood and 23-year-old Anthony Durant, were involved in the Berkeley shooting. Wood was also arrested, but his arraignment was cancelled, though Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats did not know the reason for the cancellation. Durant, who police said at the time should be considered “armed and dangerous,” turned himself in to police June 27.
The investigation into the homicide is ongoing. Police and Crime Stoppers of Oakland are offering up to $15,000 for information about suspects of the shooting and can be reached at 510-777-8572.