Person hit by train, service halts at Downtown Berkeley BART station

Update: BART officials said the Downtown Berkeley BART station reopened at 10:10 p.m.

A person was struck and killed by a train at the Downtown Berkeley BART station Tuesday evening, according to a Berkeley Fire Department official.

At about 7:30 p.m., BART officials reported there was limited service at the station, but trains were not completely stopping. Officials had released an advisory at about 7 p.m. stating that station was closed in the Richmond, Fremont and Millbrae directions due to a major medical emergency.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported that the body was discovered at about 6:35 p.m., according to a BART dispatcher. The individual was not transported to a hospital, and a description of the individual was not readily available, according to BFD Chief Gil Dong.

The incident was causing up to 15-minute delays on the Richmond line in the Fremont direction, BART officials said.

Sophie Ho is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @sophanho.

• Willliam Wallace

This is what happens when you let too many rats breed and overcrowd the available resources. Expect lots more social disruption and violent crimes.

That’s what happens when there are too damned many of you!