Healthy desserts: baked sweet pears

eb.pear.zhu4

OK, so Thanksgiving is over. But let’s be honest: The holiday season — and the season of great food — has only just begun. While we may be ready to gorge on all of our seasonal favorites (Eggnog? Pumpkin pie? Honey-baked ham? … I’m drooling already) by the time New Year’s Eve comes around, homemadecafe_240x310our waistlines won’t be thanking us. So, rather than pigging out now and regretting it later, why not enjoy something that’s delicious and good for you? Without further ado, here’s a dessert that’s easy to make, healthy and yummy enough to satisfy your sweet tooth.

When going for something nutritious and delicious, what better ingredient to use than a perfectly ripe piece of fruit? For this recipe, you’ll need ripe pears (key word: “ripe”), honey, walnuts and cinnamon.

eb.pear.zhu1

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, cut your pears in half, and place them on a baking sheet.

eb.pear.zhu2

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Using a melon baller or spoon, scoop out the pears’ seeds. Make sure you create a deep enough hole so that your walnut filling doesn’t fall out. To make the pears more stable, slice a thin piece off the back. Then, sprinkle your pears with cinnamon.

Next up are the toppings. Place the walnuts in a plastic bag and use a crab hammer, rolling pin or tool of your choice to crush them into small pieces. Then, place the bits on top of your pears, and drizzle them with honey.

eb.pear.zhu3

Agnes Zhu/Staff

Bake for about 15 minutes, until your pears are nice and golden.

eb.pear.zhu4

Agnes Zhu/Staff

This super simple recipe has plenty of room for improvisation. Depending on your taste, you can choose different kinds of natural sweeteners, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Also, don’t be afraid to try different toppings. Use different nuts, such as pecans or cashews. For different spices, add some ginger or nutmeg. To add a little bitterness, sprinkle some cacao nibs. It’s all up to you, so don’t be afraid to get creative!

Adapted from: skinnytaste.com

Contact Agnes Zhu at [email protected].