Your guide to UC Berkeley-themed holiday cookies

Kelsi Krandel/Staff
Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Without a doubt, the best part of the holiday season is the wonderful excuse to eat ungodly amounts of delicious, delicious food. The holidays would not be the holidays without the chocolates, the candy canes, the cakes, the fudge and — possibly our favorite — the cookies. Whether you are a sugar-cookie kind of person or whether you prefer gingerbread,homemadecafe_240x310 there’s something extra delicious about holiday cookies. We guess the fun cookie cutter shapes and creative icing just help you to really taste that love. Regardless of the cause, we definitely think December just wouldn’t be the same without these delectable bites of oven-baked goodness.

But sometimes, the same old Christmas tree and snowman-shaped cookies just don’t cut it anymore. Sometimes you want to be holiday-neutral or just do something different. We definitely think the best holiday cookies are products of love and pride — so how about cookies made from school pride? Eating Berkeley decided to give some UC Berkeley holiday cookies a try. We took some cookie cutters, icing and a roll of premade sugar cookie dough and came up with five delicious ideas for your next holiday cookie-decorating adventure.

1. Oski

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Bear-shaped cookie cutters aren’t too hard to come by, so how about taking a bear cookie and making it an Oski cookie? After all, a collection of UC Berkeley-themed cookies wouldn’t be complete without the beloved school mascot. Combining chocolate and vanilla frosting is a great way to make the the tan fur of his face, if you are working with a cookie that isn’t already a light tan color like ours was. If you can track down some blue icing, have some fun decorating his yellow sweater! We know we did.

2. The Campanile

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

When it comes to the physical campus, few things are as iconic as the Campanile, and certainly no other UC Berkeley landmark lends itself as well to being made into a cookie. With some straight cuts of a knife, it is very easy to create a Campanile shape, and with some frosting, sprinkles and icing, it’s a fairly straightforward cookie to decorate. And if you really want to get fancy, do what we did, and try making the Campanile look 3D!

3. The “Cal” script

eb.calcookie3.krandel

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

UC Berkeley has tons of symbols, but few things are as legendary as UC Berkeley’s infamous “Cal” script. It’s on sweatshirts, water bottles and the center of Memorial Stadium, just to name a few. And if you find yourself without a lot of interesting shape options for cookies, adding the “Cal” script is an easy way to make your cookie creative. Plus, these are cookies you can make year-round. Try some before the next basketball game, or make some at the beginning of next semester for the spring semester’s Welcome Week. Your neighbors will love you for handing these out, and no one will be able to deny your awe-inspiring level of school spirit.

4. The Stanfurd tree

eb.calcookie4.krandel

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

If you’ve made Christmas cookies before, you might have a Christmas tree cookie cutter lying around, and we think that can definitely be repurposed to make the mascot of that junior college across the bay. Just remember — Christmas cookies exist to be eaten. The whole point of making a cookie version of the Stanfurd tree? Why, demolishing it, of course. Savor every bite you take out of this one — the sweet taste of victory deserves to be enjoyed.

5. A UC Rally Committee shirt

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Kelsi Krandel/Staff

Few things show school spirit like the UC Rally Committee. That blue and gold rugby shirt is an icon representing years and years of campus tradition, and with a knife and some creativity, it is something that can be replicated without a cookie cutter. Add some yellow frosting and blue icing, and you can truly have the most creative, most spirited cookies in all the land.

Contact Kelsi Krandel at [email protected].