Now that it’s the month of December, you should always be nestled up in a blanket and have a hot drink in hand. At times, though, it can be a bit daunting to figure out what drink to choose. There’s soothing tea, frothy cappuccinos and milky lattes. When those get too boring, how about trying some Mexican hot chocolate?
With its dash of cinnamon and cayenne pepper, it’ll be a refreshing break from the classic Swiss Miss out of the packet you had growing up as a kid. Making it all by yourself is gratifying, even if all you did was throw a couple of things in a pot, mix it around and let it heat up for a while. There’s now no excuse to return to those sad little packets of powdery who knows what. It’ll make curling up in front of the TV and watching “Love Actually” for the 20th time at least three times better.
Makes two servings, or one if you have a really big mug
- 2 cups of milk of your choosing (nonfat, whole, almond, coconut, etc.)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- optional: cinnamon sticks for decoration
- Heat the milk until it reaches a simmer.
- Whisk in all the other ingredients.
- Once the ingredients are combined, remove the drink from the heat and serve it at your desired temperature.
Image Sources: elana’s pantry
Contact Nora Harhen at [email protected].