Graduate students: Vote yes in solidarity with Palestine

On Thursday, graduate students across the UC system have the opportunity to take a decisive stand in solidarity with Palestinian students and trade unions. Our union, UAW 2865, which represents student workers across the University of California, will be voting Dec. 4 on whether to join the global movement for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions. We urge our fellow graduate students and academic student workers to vote yes.

The movement for Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions has been gaining in strength over the last 10 years as an international nonviolent form of solidarity with Palestine. In July 2005, more than 170 organizations from Palestinian civil society, including all major trade unions, called upon “international civil society organizations and people of conscience all over the world to impose broad boycotts and implement divestment initiatives against Israel similar to those applied to South Africa in the apartheid era.” The groups that made the call include the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions and the General Union of Palestinian Teachers, among many others.

The demands of BDS are simple: the end of the occupation and the dismantling of the separation wall; full, equal rights for Palestinian citizens of Israel; and respect, protection and promotion for the right of Palestinian refugees to return to their homes. BDS asks only for the minimal rights that international law guarantees the Palestinian people. The so-called “peace process” has been stagnant for decades, with the Palestinian people in the balance: BDS only demands that international institutions fulfill their obligations.

In the wake of Israel’s seven-week attack on Gaza this summer, killing more than 2,100 Palestinians — the vast majority of whom were civilians — and destroying considerable civilian infrastructure, the call to BDS has sounded ever more urgently. A coalition of unions and other organizations in Gaza issued a renewed call for divestment in September. The statewide Joint Council of our union voted 40-0 to endorse the call for BDS and bring the issue to a full membership vote.

The labor movement in the United States is beginning to join its international counterparts in embracing BDS. This summer, members of International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 10 played an important role in supporting the “Block the Boat” campaign, which successfully prevented an Israeli shipping line from docking in the Port of Oakland. Other U.S. trade unions have endorsed BDS, as have labor coalitions. These join widespread international support for BDS, including the Congress of South African Trade Unions and the University and College Union, the university lecturers’ union in the United Kingdom.

Our union will be the first in the United States to hold a full membership vote on supporting BDS. The leadership we can take on this issue is consistent with the leadership we’ve taken in supporting other important political movements. We have supported undergraduate organizing against fee-hikes, the Occupy protests of 2011, and we’ve gone on strike in solidarity with other workers on our campuses.

As in these other cases, in supporting BDS, we are responding to a call from other unions specifically asking for our support. This is consistent with our support for Taiwanese student activists facing repression and our calls for justice for Mexican students murdered in Ayotzinapa. In addition, our labor union, the United Auto Workers, has a history of political involvement, supporting the Civil Rights and anti-war movements of the 1960s. Union solidarity played a key role in opposing the military dictatorship in Chile during the 1970s and 1980s and supporting the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa. Our move to support Palestinian workers and students is not the first nor last time we take part in debates around global issues.

The specific ballot language calls on the university and the UAW international to divest their holdings in Israeli state institutions and international companies complicit in severe and ongoing human rights violations. The vote would also call on the U.S. government to end military aid to Israel.

Members will also have an opportunity to check an additional box at the bottom of the ballot to pledge to join the boycott of Israeli academic institutions, a “voluntary and non-binding individual commitment.” The academic boycott has recently been endorsed by the American Studies Association, the Association of Asian American Studies, the Critical Ethnic Studies Association and the African Literature Association. As the ballot itself states, the academic boycott “does not target individuals” who work in Israeli universities — instead, it is a challenge to the universities themselves, deeply linked to Israel’s military and complicit in Israel’s human rights violations. As explicitly stated in the ballot, the union “condemns discrimination … for any reason including religious affiliation and national origin,” and “affirmatively encourages academic collaboration with individual Israelis, Palestinians, and others in the region who oppose the occupation of Palestine.”

As trade unionists, we act against the widespread violations of labor rights, and the hyperexploitation of Palestinian workers by Israeli employers. As academics, we protest the denial of academic freedom to Palestinian scholars and students. To quote UAW 2865’s joint-council statement in support of BDS, “Working people everywhere have a common interest in opposing oppression and exploitation wherever they are found.”

Daniel Benjamin is a graduate student in the department of English, and Aidin Fathalizadeh is a graduate student in the department of physics at UC Berkeley. They are both rank-and-file members of UAW Local 2865.

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter: @dailycalopinion.

• GG, Los Angeles

BDS claims to be non-violent but that is a fallacy. BDS allows violence to be used by its supporters to achieve its goals. They never denounce nor attempt in any way to end that violence. Any organization that allows its supporters to use violence in its name is using violence.

• P. Nile Schwartz

You are indeed a severe Christian idiot, so moronic that he supports the oppressors and killers of Christians instead of supporting the Zionists that preserve the rights of Christians!

• Hind Abyad

as i said Zionism is a mental disease ha ha Listen to that..”Zionists preserve the rights of the Christians”.. they want to take away their Arab identity.

• Hind Abyad

I know that, what has that to do with USS Lib.? You are boring it’s like talking to children.

• Hind Abyad

You’re ignorant..or..and simple minded.. as are your “likes”. It was impossible for Israel to have mistaken USS Liberty for an Egyptian ship”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

• Cathryn Mataga

I’ve chatted with several Arabs living in Gaza city online, and they live a very difficult life. This all reminds me of the movement to disinvest from the racist South African government decades back. Really, that worked out okay. I’m not a student, but a Cal alumni, and a resident of the City of Berkeley.

• P. Nile Schwartz

Actually, the majority of dead gazans were neo-nazi terrorists, SS Handzar disciples. But don’t let any facts get in the way of yet another dull Jewhating rant.

• Hind Abyad

Zionism is a mental disease..you’re the living proof.

• P. Nile Schwartz

No. Sucking up to US government Arabists and their oil sheikh alliies is the mental illness, and you’re the living proof, just another submitted and prideless Muslim.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

You must have never heard of the West Bank.
    Separate roads, schools, neighborhoods based on nationality is apartheid.
    Separate is not equal.
    Why are there no Non-Jewish settlers?
    Your unconditional support of illegal apartheid bantustans is disgusting.
    Palestinians have a right to have there stories told without insider racists misinforming and spreading lies.
    Disgusting

• comeon2013

Wow. Supporting a society that democratically elected a terrorist organization to be their leadership? I thought UC students were supposed to be smart.

• Dan Spitzer

Sadia Saifuddin, who spearheaded the BDS vote at ASUC and later became Student Regent, is of Pakistani heritage. Why shouldn’t she and UAW 2865 call for BDS vs Saifuddin’s Pakistan rather than democratic Israel? We know that the Pakistani teenager Malala was shot and nearly murdered because she was a female attempting to go to school. And that a Karachi woman has been sentenced to be executed because of the “crime of blasphemy.” Yet Pakistan annually gets billions in US aid.
    Moreover, today in the SF Chronicle, page 3, there is an AP report of a man who threw acid on his wife and their sleeping children. Yet as the piece notes, few Pakistanis are seen to care. That last year, over 1000 women were murdered in so-called “honor killings” and yet another 7,000 managed to survive such attacks. And last month four men beat to death a pregnant woman for marrying vs her family’s wishes. Few Pakistanis are ever prosecuted for this continual assault upon women.
    Want to pass a BDS resolution vs true violators of human rights? Start with Pakistan, move on to the Palestinian Territories where honor murder is rife, and thence to virtually every Islamic society. As for democratic Israel, there are no such violations of womens’ rights without prosecution.
    We could go on to cite Palestinian and other Muslim societies’ persecution of gays and dissenters, none of which is manifest in Israel. Yet Israel is the target of this appalling resolution. Anyone wish to guess why?

• Arafat

The University of California, Berkeley’s graduate student labor union (UAW 2865) is voting on whether the State of Israel should continue to exist. No one is waiting with bated breath for the tally of a vote whose implementation would violate both California and United States law. It is one of those exercises in academic hubris laced with ignorance for which Berkeley is famous. After all, students know slightly less American history after four years at the prestigious institution than before they crossed through Sather Gate.

One of the leaders of the anti-Israel movement is Lara Kiswani, whose rhetoric reminds one of the days when leftists sat in their Marxist circle groups and talked about “mechanistic thinking” as an impediment to achieving the socialist utopia. Kiswani’s rhetoric is filled with the same clichés, but let me say that Kiswani’s ability to manifest hatred honestly and simply is as impressive as it is refreshing.

• DNAC101

I never vote on stuff like this. This has nothing to do with why I came to grad school or that will personally affect my experience at Cal. I wish Cal students didn’t try and force others into their ideological battles. Can I get an education in peace?

• Norman Schultz

As a member of the Jewish community I am ashamed of my Jewish brothers and sisters Daniel Frankenstein, Dan Spitzer…etc. It is you who are the real enemies of the Jewish people, for you merely defer to claims of anti-semitism, victimization…etc. in order to justify the structural subjugation and murder of Palestinians. Ashamed of your racism and Islamophobia. Absolutely ashamed. I hope the student workers of the UC system (which you are likely NOT) voted with their hearts AND their minds and voted YES on BDS.

• Dan Spitzer

Norm, there is a word for you: Kapo…

• Dr. Ben

Muslims follow Taqqiah law, which states any Non Muslim as Kafir, which means that a non muslim is a low human being and that he can be lied upon, raped, looted, cheated and killed

• Norman Schultz

If I must sacrifice and speak against the worst of my brethren, those who are invested in a Jewish-only state at the expense of all else who live there now and have been living there, in order to envision a future where we can live side by side, then yes sir, I am a kapo. And if this is the word and history you mis-use to disregard any member of the Jewish community who looks within with a critical lens (instead of merely outwardly, supported by non-truths and exaggerated claims, as evidenced below), then you lead a sad, sad existence. Tell me, how many rockets have been fired by Gazans since the end of the most recent confrontation, and yet Israel continues to illegally (an objective fact) occupy Palestinian territory, and hold an entire population under political, economic siege (an objective fact)? To cry “defense” over and over again when the reality on the ground screams “offense” is to be blinded by a myth that all but yourselves can see through.

• Dan Spitzer

Mr. Schultz, I’m pleased to see you acknowledge yourself that you are indeed a kapo. Moreover, your statement that Israel “illegally” occupies Palestinian territory is a very bad joke. “Illegally occupies” by whose definition? The anti-Semitic joke that is the UN (whose Human Rights Commission cites Israel for 87% of violations worldwide on a planet including Chinese, African and Islamic tyrannies of the worst order)? Any reasonable person scoffs at that, along with the fact that there is not a single, solitary israeli in Gaza and other than when Hamas initiates hostilities, hasn’t been for quite some time. Moreover, the Palestinians have NEVER historically had a country, legally or not.
          But then again, you choose to remain oblivious to the Palestinian’s most popular political party, Hamas, calling for the worldwide murder of Jews. Since this Palestinian advocacy of Jewish genocide appears to matter not a whit to you, you have well earned the moniker “kapo.”

• roccolore

The Nazis who wrote this are anti-Jewish and pro-Hamas. They ignore the REAL apartheid that occurs in the Muslim world.

• So Kali

Trolls for AIPAC!

• roccolore

You Muslim fascists are trolls for Hamas.

• Arafat

Silencing debate by name-calling.

Silencing debate by rioting.

Silencing debate by making stuff up.

Silencing debate by spinning jihad.

Silencing debate by beheading.

Silencing debate by death threats.

Silencing debate by theft and rape.

Silencing debate by cold shoulder.

Silencing debate by taqiya.

Silencing debate by throwing acid.

Normative Islam, rather than an aberration.

• So Kali

Yosh trolls and considers that “Fun”…what a sicko!

• roccolore

Liberals and Muslims like you are the sickos who defend Hamas and ISIS.

• Arafat

Silencing debate by name-calling.

Silencing debate by rioting.

Silencing debate by making stuff up.

Silencing debate by spinning jihad.

Silencing debate by beheading.

Silencing debate by death threats.

Silencing debate by theft and rape.

Silencing debate by cold shoulder.

Silencing debate by taqiyya.

Silencing debate by throwing acid.

• P. Nile Schwartz

why are the authors blatantly lying by stating that ‘the vast majority’ of those killed in gaza were civilians, when it’s been studied and the majority were actually Jewhating jihadists?

from Elderofziyon:

“The Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center has released (in Hebrew only) part 8 of its series analyzing the people killed in Gaza and (using Palestinian Arabic sources) determining whether they were terrorists or not.
    The latest report covers those reported killed between July 25-29.

So far, they have examined 1,165 fatalities. 157 of them are not yet identified as civilian or terrorist. Out of the remaining 1017 names, 528 were terrorists and 480 were civilians, a 52%-48% ratio.

Another interesting statistic comes out from this. Since the center is analyzing the deaths in chronological order, the people that were killed between July 25-29 are found to be 90 terrorists vs. 42 civilians, which is over 68% terrorists. (Many of the terrorists were from bodies found from the earlier battle in Shejaiya.)”

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Let’s not forget that the made up state of Israel is being built off stolen Palestinian lands.

• Dan Spitzer

“Stolen Palestinian land?” DNA analysis of the people now called the Palestinians show they hail originally from the Arabian Peninsula. Some migrated to the area now called Israel and the Palestinian territories under the Ottoman Empire and many were drawn there because the increasing Jewish population created economic opportunity vis-a-vis jobs and other possibilities for a better life.
      BTW, LimpStick, did you know that never in history has there been a Palestinian state anywhere on the planet? On the other hand, there has been a Jewish presence in Israel and what are now called the Palestinian Territories for 3000 years.
      So LimpStick, who has stolen what from whom?

• Dr. Ben

Mitochondrial DNA, which also shows that Jews have been living in Israel for thousands of years. Also most Palestinians immigrated to the land of Israel in the early 1900’s (from Lebanon, syria, mostly jordan, and egypt) after Jews had already purchased most of the land from the Ottomans.

• roccolore

Muslim fascists like you have 57 countries. And your hero Arafat was not “Palestinian” but Egyptian.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Your juvenile name calling and amoebic brained assumptions are typical of Israel-Firster hasbara propagandists who care more about unconditional support for the racist terror policies of the Israeli Likudniks than for actually helping to bring peace and justice in the Holy Land for all those involved.
        Palestinians have a right to full civil and human rights

• No

• Ari Lieberman

BDS is an anti-Semitic, racist movement, plain and simple. There are 49 Muslim majority countries in the world that identify themselves as Muslim and where Islam is considered the official religion of the state. But the BDS movement doesn’t seem to have a problem with that. They have a problem with only one nation, the Jewish one, which they wish to be supplanted with yet another dysfunctional Muslim state.

They conveniently neglect to note that In nearly every Muslim country where Jews once lived, they were expelled and ethnically cleansed by Muslims and their property was expropriated. They also never mention that 1,000,000 Jewish refugees were forced to flee from Arab lands, where they had lived for centuries. It’s an inconvenient truth that they tend to ignore.

The difference between Israel and the Arab states is glaring when one considers how the Arabs handled Palestinian refugees and how Israel absorbed Jewish refugees from Arab lands. The Arabs, never absorbed Palestinian refugees into their societies and instead, locked them up in cantonments. Israel by contrast fully absorbed and integrated Jewish refugees from Arab lands. This is another inconvenient truth that BDS refuses to acknowledge.

Arabs who live in Israel are accorded full civil rights based on democratic principles of universal suffrage. On the other hand, there is not a single democratic Arab country. Isn’t it ironic that the only place where Arab Muslims can vote is in the Jewish State but they unable to exercise that right in Arab countries.

The BDS movement represents malevolent fascism that has no problem with dictatorships and autocrats but seeks instead to target the only democratic, free country in the Mideast, Israel. For the sake of fairness, freedom and equity, vote NO

• AmalekHaman

Oy vey! The sufferinK! 6 Million jews are dying because of BDS!

• Hamas has some of the most wealthiest billionaires on the planet, but
    they do not live in Gaza, and they do get involved; Hamas gets involved by building tunnels into Israel for surprise terrorist attacks
    and forcing slave labor to building them, and then kill these children
    to keep them secret.

Hamas, PLO, perverted Anti Moslems ( Hamas, nor PLO are moslem) they are Satanists. The Palestinians people on the other hand are just like regular citizens who want a simple life like the hassidic Jews that migrate to the Gaza or west bank. I guess UC Berkeley does not teach reality.

• garyfouse

Both the UAW and Teamsters are against this measure as it could impact thousands of other jobs whose employees they cover. The Teamsters have written a scathing letter to 2865 on this issue. It seems 2865 cares little about how their actions could affect others’ jobs.

• M2000

Wouldn’t it be nice for Al Sharpton just to take all of these idiots for DC and they can stay there indefinitely? After all they are the ones equaling Ferguson, Eric Garner, etc to their “precious” “Palestine”. Hey, they’ll make Congress look good for a change if they try a Communist style insurrection there.

• Daniel Frankenstein

BDS is an intellectually dishonest movement about ending Israel, not supporting the Palestinians. This Op-Ed is full of misrepresentations and opinions masquerading as fact. If the UAW is interesting in protecting the rights of workers around the globe, they should look at places like Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, North Korea, and other abusers of human rights. The focus on Israel shows a clear bias and a compete lack of understanding of geopolitics. Israel, like the United States, has a robust legal framework for workers rights and this also protects the rights of minority workers. If you support peace, two states for two peoples, and progress, Vote NO.

• Dan Spitzer

Those who support the resolution along with pro-Palestinian proponents are always yammering about “human rights.” Somehow, they ignore the most basic of these, the right to live. That is to say, by the Palestinians own polls, Hamas is the most popular of the Palestinians’ political parties. And, right there is black and white, the Hamas Covenant calls for the murder not “just” of Israeli Jews but Jews everywhere on the planet.
      Other than ISIS, there is no other political entity calling for genocide. So if you truly support human rights, you will Vote NO on this most hypocritical of resolutions…

• So Kali

What about the dead USA sailors slaughtered by Israel on the USS Liberty?

• roccolore

What about the hijacking of the Achille Lauro?

• Hind Abyad

Were is the comparison..USS Liberty was not hijacked, was bombarded.

• Arafat

A beheading in Woolwich, a suicide bomb in Beijing, a blown-up marathon in
          Boston, a shooting in the head of a young Pakistani girl seeking education, a
          destroyed shopping mall in Nairobi – and so it continues, in the name of Islam,
          from south London to Timbuktu. It is time to take stock, especially on the
          left, since these things are part of the world’s daily round.

Leave aside the parrot-cry of “Islamophobia” for a moment. I will return to
          it. Leave aside, too, the pretences that it is all beyond comprehension.
          “Progressives” might ask instead: what do Kabul, Karachi, Kashmir, Kunming and
          a Kansas airport have in common? Is it that they all begin with “K”? Yes. But
          all of them have been sites of recent Islamist or, in the case of Kansas, of
          wannabe-Islamist, attacks; at Wichita Airport planned by a Muslim convert ready
          to blow himself up, and others, “in support of al-Qaeda in the Arabian
          Peninsula”. “We cannot stop lone wolves,” a British counterterrorism expert
          told us after Woolwich. Are they “lone”? Of course not.

A gas facility in southern Algeria, a hospital in Yemen, an Egyptian police
          convoy in the Sinai – it’s complex all right – a New Year’s party in the
          southern Philippines, a railway station in the Caucasus, a bus terminal in
          Nigeria’s capital, and on and on, have all been hit by jihadis, with hostages
          taken, suicide belts detonated, cars and trucks exploded, and bodies blown to
          bits. And Flight MH370? Perhaps. In other places – in Red Square and Times
          Square, in Jakarta and New Delhi, in Amman and who-knows-where in Britain –
          attacks have been thwarted. But in 2013 some 18 countries got it in the
          neck (so to speak) from Islam’s holy warriors….

• P. Nile Schwartz

So what about them? Funny how the jihadi-philes are always whining about these dead sailors on one hand, while (disingenuously) squealing about how they hate their State Department masters on the other!

• Dr. Ben

agree, Interesting how my comment is still pending.

• Elisabeth Schwartz

Vote NO for BDS. It promotes intolerance. This article is full of inaccuracies.

• Dan Spitzer

Moreover, the op-ed authors obscure one of the most odious facets of the resolution. If the BDS proposed was supported by the UC campuses, then academics from Israeli institutions would be banned from said campuses. Half the Jews on the planet live in Israel and this would be the most explicit act of anti-Semitism seen in the US since there were pre-WWII quotas on percentage of Jews allowed to hold professorships in American universities. Those who support the resolution are bigots of the worst order and ought to be ashamed of themselves.
      Note that the UC Regents and Cal’s administration have already condemned this appalling resolution of anti-Jewish demands. Of course, such a resolution falls under the rubric of “cutting off your nose to spite your face” as the banning of Israeli academics would include those instrumental in the medical field where Israeli academics have made vital contributions to the realm of anti-cancer drugs/procedures and equally fine work vs other dangerous diseases. And much of the technology utilized in our very own computers stem from the contributions of Israeli researchers.
      Palestinian academics’ contributions: It’s hard to cite one, unless you include form-fitting suicide vests to be worn by children meant to martyr themselves…

• Elisabeth Schwartz

Interesting. I posted a response to this article and it was removed. I guess the authors cannot handle dissension.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

The Cal system needs to continue to uphold the rights and liberties of all those who are oppressed and exploited.
    Voting for BDS is a small, yet important, step in that direction.
    And the immoral and illegal colonial settlements in the occupied Palestinian Territories prevent the establishment of a sovereign state Palestine living in peace with the neighbors

• Dan Spitzer

No, SoftStick, the Palestinian demand for “Right of Return” which would leave Israel with a majority of Arabs is the reason for Palestine not being a sovereign state. In 2000, President Clinton and Israeli PM Barack offered Air-of-Fart a Palestinian state comprising 97% of contiguous territory. The 1.6% of West Bank territory inhabited by Jews was to be easily traded off to the Palestinians for valuable land currently situated in Israel. Even Arafat said that the trade of settlement land wasn’t the reason for his failure to agree to the remarkable Israeli offer. Indeed, Barack even offered the Palestinians a capital in part of E. Jerusalem.
      No, that great Palestinian hero Arafat said, “Either we get the right of return or no deal,” realizing that no agreement would be possible with the integration of millions of Arabs into Israel proper. Clinton, in his autobiography, and negotiator Dennis Ross excoriated Arafat for refusing a deal which the Palestinians would later give their “eye-teeth” for as a capital in E. Jerusalem will never be back in play.
      Also, let’s stop this utter bullshit of calling Israel an apartheid state. Those who saw the tyranny of S. Africa during the apartheid period and have been to Israel, as I have, roar with laughter at the morons-such as SJP/MSA, Bazian, and the authors of this op-ed maintain. This is the worst use of propaganda buzz-words since the Third Reich’s Goebbels, Stalin and today, the N. Korean madman Jong-il.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Nothing you say is true.
        You talk as if you were at those meetings.
        You pretty much spew out the same racist apartheid lies and misinformation that most other hasbarists try to push.
        Quite lame to blame the victim and justify ethnic cleansing and collective punishment.
        Another hasbara lie bites the dust.
        Go BDS go

• Dan Spitzer

Your use of the same old use of idiot-logical loony left language betrays what an ignorant fool you are. It clearly doesn’t bother you in the least that the people you champion overwhelmingly support Hamas, a political party which has called for worldwide Jewish genocide. Indeed, no one on the Daily Cal website has ever seen a member of SJP/MSA or their reactionary left supporters condemn the Hamas call for Jewish genocide. Apparently, logic dictates that you also advocate this.
          Hence, SoftStick, you would have made a fine storm trooper. As it is, you are just another impotent merchant of hate, wasting your time with BDS bullshit which has netted the Palestinians exactly nada.
          Since the BDS campaign kicked off a couple of years ago, despite all the ranting and time invested by bigots like you, where has it gotten the Palestinian people? Under the leadership of Hamas and Fatah, the Palestinians are in worse shape than ever. No wonder Abbas himself has denigrated the BDS bowel movement…

• roccolore

Fascist Democrat, what race is Islam? You are the apartheid supporter who advocates stoning rape victims, hanging gays, and beating those who don’t cover up.

• roccolore

Muslim and liberal fascists like you support stoning rape victims, hanging gays, and jailing Christians.

• Arafat

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”-
    Voltaire