New Starbucks drink: Chestnut Praline Latte

Annie Chang/Staff
Annie Chang/Staff

The holiday season has come, which means our favorite Starbucks drinks are back, such as the peppermint mocha and the gingerbread latte. With the colder weather, holiday spirit and end of the semester looming near, we rely more and more on coffee to not only wake us up every morning but also keep us warm and happy.

Starbucks released a new holiday latte Nov. 12. The Chestnut Praline Latte, with caramelized chestnuts and spices and topped with whipped cream and spiced praline crumbs, is the newest holiday drink addition in five years. Starbucks hopes the drink’s popularity will reach that of the Pumpkin Spice Latte, especially after the Starbucks Global Beverage Innovation team’s two-year development of the drink. Even though the coffee chain released the drink to select retail locations last year, this year is the first time the drink will become nationally available.

According to one employee at the Starbucks located on Oxford Street, the latte is “very sweet and perfect for those who prefer sweet coffee drinks rather than less flavored ones with a more pure coffee taste.”

Like the barista said, the Chestnut Praline Latte is definitely very sweet but is also refreshing and different compared to the other holiday drinks. This one brings a strong, nutty taste rather than a plain, sugary one. The drink is frothy and milky on top and reminded us of sitting at home during the holiday season, bundled up in warm sweaters.

With this new addition and its other holiday lattes, Starbucks gives customers a plethora of holiday drink choices that satisfy the sweetest of sweet tooths. Try the new Chestnut Praline Latte and see how it compares to previously established autumn and winter drinks.

Contact Annie Chang at [email protected].