Hundreds of demonstrators take to streets on 4th night of protests

night4_kbaskevitch2
Kayla Baskevitch/Staff

On the fourth day of ongoing Berkeley protests, demonstrators marched more than 10 miles through Berkeley and Oakland, momentarily blocking traffic on Highway 24 and eventually thinning out as some reportedly vandalized businesses.

Since Saturday, demonstrators have held protests in Berkeley in response to recent grand jury decisions related to the deaths of unarmed black men from police force. Tuesday night’s protest began as hundreds of protesters gathered outside Old City Hall at about 7:20 p.m. to address the mass arrests on the night before.

“This is real life,” said Tim McIntyre, a UC Berkeley junior. “This is a lot more important than finals.”

At about 9:30 p.m., about 100 protesters stopped traffic on Highway 24 — near the MacArthur BART station — in both directions for nearly half an hour. Police used less-than-lethal methods to try to force protesters off the highway, and several protesters were arrested, according to California Highway Patrol.

After abandoning the highway, the group of more than 500 protesters reached downtown Oakland.

While marching next to Interstate 980, a few protesters turned over an Oakland Police Department electronic speed-limit sign. Afterward, a couple of men shouted, “Don’t tear my neighborhood down.”

Thirty minutes later, a group of protesters flooded into Safeway, after doors were broken down. Soon after, a fight among them broke out in the parking lot. A few people donning black masks allegedly beat another man to the ground, arousing cries of “peaceful protests” and “let him go.”

As the march continued moving north on San Pablo Avenue into Emeryville, a group of protesters broke the windows of a 7-Eleven, Bank of America and CVS.

Initially the protest was scheduled to take place during Berkeley City Council’s regular Tuesday meeting, but due to concerns of potential overcrowding, Mayor Tom Bates canceled the meeting. Despite the cancelation, Councilmembers Kriss Worthington and Jesse Arreguin stood outside Old City Hall to listen to the concerns of protesters and community members.

“We are here tonight primarily to listen to you,” Worthington said to the crowd. “If there was a City Council meeting, every one of you would have the right to speak.”

Both council members said they stand in solidarity with demonstrators, who have been protesting alleged police brutality. Worthington and Arreguin said they will call for an investigation of Saturday night’s protest, during which a group of demonstrators encountered multiple rounds of tear gas on Telegraph Avenue.

Protesters who were arrested Monday night after marching onto interstates 80 and 580 spoke to the two council members, calling for protesters’ “charges to be dropped.” But Teresa Drenick, assistant district attorney, said that as of Tuesday afternoon, she had not received confirmation that charges would be filed. The district attorney is the one who brings charges against individuals.

More than 200 protesters were arrested Monday night at Interstate 80 near Powell Street in Emeryville on suspicion of various offenses — including resisting arrest, preventing the travel of others and assault on a peace officer — after hundreds swarmed onto the freeway, according to California Highway Patrol spokesperson Officer Daniel Hill.

Follow the path of the protest below.

View this map on Google Maps.

Senior staff writer Kimberly Veklerov and staff writer Jessie Lau contributed to this report.

Bo Kovitz is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @beau_etc.

• I support, I wish I had money to come up from LA and walk and protest. They GOP/DNC and Academia do not care, the issue is import cheap labor and kill Americans making survival money on the black market, like Eric had to do. The Staff and Professors at Cal support the Police, I’m sure because they know to support the people would be democracy, and that is ANTI cAL.

• David H

Some people are protesting for the right cause but most protesters are just joining a mob looking for trouble and chaos.

• protestfolk

video of “Michael Brown Was Gunned Down” public domain folk song about Ferguson events at following link might interest daily californian readers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6K0bifsvMY

• patriottt

Marching is OK, but destroying businesses and hurting people is not. The violent ones detract from the message. The violence becomes the news item, not the death of another unarmed man at the hands of police.
    Please, people, keep the destruction out of it. If someone is doing vandalism or throwing rocks or bottles, stand back and let the police arrest that person. The key to a successful demonstaration or protest is non-violence. The violence allows right-wing media to turn all of you into the bad guys. It is being used by Fox News and talk radio to show that liberals are dangerous criminals who hate small businesses, hate police, and hate the laws. You who are violent are making people think that the police are right to use force.

• Jean Apodaca

Please, accept minor disruption to your turf in this ordeal. Think of all the insidious things in your neighborhood like water, food, air that is diminishing you daily in terms of sustaining you optimally. That should be the disruption you should face and act against. There is a possibility to frame these public outcries around the notion of a continually developing police state and the flourishing prison industrial complex. In that sense you should hope the agitation will influence people to guard the freedoms of populations deemed superfluous because how can you be certain that they will stop the genocide. It is plausible and there is suggestive evidence that all will not be well if all human life is not guarded against this assault

• Gene Nelson

And if Gabby doesn’t accept it — let me guess. You’ll invade her neighborhood anyway. Nice of you to tell her how to act — hands up, don’t loot. hands up, don’t invade neighborhoods where you are not wanted. hands up, think about others and not your own agendas.

Just like the police you protest, you will do whatever you want and ignore the people who live in those neighborhoods.

• Fesoferbex

In a separate discussion she told me I “must accept” this.

I find it odd that a supporter of an anti-authoritarian movement would attempt to exercise authority over someone merely for having a different point of view on the matter. Actually as it turned out, she didn’t read what I had to say, and doesn’t know what my point of view is.

Also, the use of the word “genocide” is extreme. My people actually experienced an attempted genocide, so I balk at someone throwing that word around so casually.

• Jean Apodaca

These events do not unfurl according to the laws of some physics’ experiment.. Your STEM mind should grasp this concept. Berkeley researchers have just announced today that a Berkeley Sociologist who has research interests in the dynamics of protests and violence will release information to the public soon in book form. But I am sure you can find information on this type of research before that. You must understand that the violence you are attributing to the protests is not so easily pegged to the protesters. Causal relationships in social behavior can’t be pinned down to some algorithm generally. YOU MUST ACCEPT UNCERTAIN OUTCOMES IN THESE EVENTS. We don’t like the ugliness, of course. No one does. I don’t revel in sadistic delight at this stuff; I hate that the German language has the word “Shadenfreude” in its vocabulary. The genocide must stop by any means necessary.

• Fesoferbex

I’ve actually not really discussed the violence of the protests to date. But if we want to discuss violence… well…

I dare anyone to mess with my community. A Marine and his rifle ARE a superior force. Semper Fi.

• Nunya Beeswax

She’s the left-wing equivalent of a Rush Limbaugh fan. She obviously is unable to participate in the discussion, so she just regurgitates talking points.

• Fesoferbex

But it’s so incredibly odd to be bombarded with completely incoherent non-interconnected thoughts. It’s as if she is having a conversation with someone else who is saying something completely different. I don’t get it.

• Being offended doesn’t mean you’re right.

• tiesenberg0

I hope the Districf Attorney has the necessary courage to press charges against those that were arrested.

• Gabby

So you know how settler colonialists ignore that fact that there are already people living in the places they are taking over? I’d love to remind the people who marched into my neighborhood this evening that we already have to deal with helicopters and police violence on a regular basis -kids and adults suffer from PTSD and other issues due to constant structural and day-to-day oppression. Before you decide to block a freeway or barricade the MacArthur BART station, just ask yourself: “Is this the most beneficial way I could be helping the black/POC community? What am I actually trying to accomplish that is worth possibly triggering trauma and police crackdown for residents? Does the community even want me here? Do they especially want to hear non-black people or non-inner city, non-people of color chanting “Hands up, Don’t shoot” or “All Lives Matter”? Ghostown is used to sounds of sirens and helicopters, but to have them brought here by “well meaning” outsiders is disrespectful. If you want to make the trek down to the community maybe you should be asking what you can do to help rather than offering what you think is helpful. http://bendstowardjustice.tumblr.com/post/104742740875/dear-white-protestors and http://www.indigenousaction.org/accomplices-not-allies-abolishing-the-ally-industrial-complex/

• First: there is a HUGE gap between a bunch of young adults of all colors walking the streets shouting, and invaders that beat/rape/kill locals, infect them with deadly diseases, and ultimately force the survivors on a death march to reservations.

Second: our politicians don’t start making real changes until a huge number of people of all kinds join forces to make it clear society as a whole is all fed up with the status quo. As long as they can pigeonhole the protesters as malcontents from a particular group (people that are black, autistic, gay, disabled, etc.), they figure the majority of society doesn’t care or might even like the policies. It’s also the only way that most whites can make any real dent in the situation that we know of.

• Nunya Beeswax

TL,DR : We know better than you do what’s best for your neighborhood. Sit down and shut up.

• Gene Nelson

xyzzy — PLEASE try to read the post with an attempt at comprehending what the author says, rather than just keep coming up with justifications and retorts as you read.

You are as bad as the establishment you protest about. You don’t listen to the people who suffer from brutality every day and are telling you that you are not invited into their neighborhood. YOU have decided that YOU will think and act for the author, who is right — most of those white kids will never be back to that neighborhood after the protests are done.