Brown fills last vacancy on UC Board of Regents

Gov. Jerry Brown announced the appointment of Gareth Elliott to the UC Board of Regents on Friday.

Elliott, who has served as the legislative affairs secretary in the Office of the Governor since 2011, will fill the last vacancy on the board of 26 voting members — 18 nominated by the governor, one student regent and seven ex-officio members. Previously, Elliott served as policy director for former state senator Alex Padilla and as policy director, deputy chief of staff, legislative aide and then-legislative director for former state senator Don Perata.

On Elliott’s past experience, ASUC Vice President of External Affairs Caitlin Quinn said she thinks he will bring a “good perspective on how the state works.” She pointed out, however, that she is not yet seeing a “diverse body of regents.”

“Elliott’s legislative expertise and deep interest in educational issues are a valuable addition to the board,” said UC Board of Regents Chair Bruce Varner in a press release.

If Elliott’s appointment is confirmed by the state Senate, he will serve until March 1, 2025, with an opportunity to be reappointed. Nominated individuals can serve up to a year on the board pending their confirmation.

Back in November, Brown also appointed Eloy Oakley and John A. Perez to the board less than a week before the regents voted on a plan to increase tuition.

The January board meeting is set for Jan. 21 and 22 at UCSF Mission Bay. Elliott is expected to appear.

Heyun Jeong is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @heyunjeong.

A photo previously attached to this article mistakenly pictured another Gareth Elliott, not the new UC regent Gareth Elliott.