The Daily Cal picks best-dressed at 2015 Golden Globes

Not all of us get to play dress up and wear thousands of dollars of attire regularly, but society somehow gives us the permission to judge those who do. The Golden Globes’ red carpet didn’t hold the most impressive collection of garments we’ve ever seen, but here are a few that stood out.

We wanted to wear it!

Goldani

Julia Goldani Telles wearing Carmen Marc Valvo

As Americans, we all know that red, white and blue is a magical combination, and Telles proved just that. Though a plunging neckline does lean on the sexier side, Telles reeled it in with classy styling, going with a dark-red lip and diamond earrings. Telles stole the spotlight in a subtle but statement-worthy gown.

Hudson

Kate Hudson wearing Versace
Was something on fire last night? Was it Kate Hudson? Because she was definitely one of the sexiest people on that red carpet. Unlike Telles, who tried to add sophistication to the sex appeal, Hudson took it a step further with gorgeous cutouts that accentuated her curves. With such a bold dress, Hudson did it right by wearing simple makeup and accessories.

Lupita

Lupita Nyongo wearing Giambattista Valli Couture

While a lot of people opted for simple, solid dresses, Nyongo was one of the few to try something different. The purple and white worked exquisitely with her skin tone, and the ensemble looked cute overall.

Emma Stone

Emma Stone wearing Lanvin
She may not have set off any metal detectors, but she definitely dazzled everyone on the carpet. We’re always a fan of jumpsuits, especially ones that scream glamour. Stone’s simple but stunning ensemble should’ve won an award of its own.

We would have passed on…

Rosamund Pike

Rosamund Pike wearing Vera Wang
Plunging necklines and cutouts were in fact a theme of the night, but this dress made the combination less than flattering. Though Pike herself looked exquisite, the dress was something we would’ve left at the store.

72nd Annual Golden Globe Awards - Arrivals

Lena Dunham wearing Zac Posen 

For a television show with amazing style on set, its stars’ red-carpet ensembles were quite a disappointment. Not only were the dresses a bit bland, but their fit was unflattering. Dunham should’ve just come in what they wore to Jessa’s wedding.

Jane Fonda wearing Versace

Had it not been for the detailing on the side that resembled bandaids desperately trying to hold the dress together, Fonda might not have looked so bad in the otherwise stunning red gown with beadwork that looked like blood splatter.

Tina Fey

Tina Fey wearing Antonio Berardi

Normally, Fey is someone we admire: an independent, hilarious, intelligent woman making a name for herself. But her rather boxy dress made us wonder if she came with gift wrapping as well. Don’t worry — we’d still grab coffee with her, mainly because she’d be in something a lot more casual and a lot less geometric.

McCarthy

Melissa McCarthy wearing Things She Sewed Together From Her Closet

Being in the hub of thrifting, we always support a good bargain. Why spend thousands of dollars on a dress if you can avoid it? Though we admire McCarthy’s DIY spirit, her dress was not only something we’d pass but something we’d give back to the girls from “Little House on the Prairie.” Thankfully, McCarthy’s humor is still clever, and it makes her all the more lovable.

Image source: Images 1-4Images 5-9

Contact Ilaf Esuf at [email protected].