2-alarm fire damages Berkeley residence under construction

A two-alarm fire Monday morning caused partial damage to a two-story residence near the North Berkeley BART station.

Berkeley Fire Department received a report of smoke at 1312 Delaware St. at 5:38 a.m. Soon after, the first unit reported to the residence, which was in the process of being remodeled. Firefighters had the fire contained about an hour later, according to BFD Deputy Chief Avery Webb.

The house was empty at the time, and no injuries have been reported so far, Webb said.

When the first unit arrived on scene, the fire was primarily beneath the first level, in the house’s basement area, but firefighters had difficulty accessing parts of the building because of construction, and the fire spread up to the attic, Webb said. The fire department estimates about $350,000 in structural damage to the home.

The fire was contained within the primary structure and did not cause damage to any surrounding properties, according to Webb. The city’s building department was requested at approximately 7:30 a.m. to examine damage to the building’s living-room floor, which it tagged “red,” then cordoned off.

The rest of the residence was tagged “yellow,” signaling it should not be inhabited under current conditions but could still be entered for cleanup and repair, according to Webb.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Chloee Weiner is a news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @_chloeew .