Man convicted of sexually assaulting woman in Berkeley last May

A 37-year-old man was convicted Monday of raping a woman he met in Berkeley last May.

John Kannon was charged with assault with intent to rape and and rape of an unconscious person. According the San Jose Mercury News, prosecutors said Kannon met the victim when she and her roommates attended a concert at the Ashkenaz Music & Dance Community Center in Berkeley.

The victim reported the incident to police when she feared she had gotten herpes, according to an affidavit. Kannon was arrested the evening of July 16 by Berkeley Police Department officers.

According to the affidavit, the victim reported that Kannon had been at her house for an impromptu gathering and that she went to sleep in her bedroom. The victim’s roommate said he saw Kannon enter the victim’s bedroom at about 3 a.m. after the gathering came to an end, the affidavit said.

The victim woke to find Kannon attempting to sexually assault her and told him to stop, the affidavit said. She did not give consent for intercourse, but did not know if Kannon penetrated her, according to the affidavit.

Both the victim and her roommate identified Kannon as the suspect in photos shown to them by police.

Kannon, who was previously convicted twice of theft in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, will be sentenced to state prison April 17.

Amy Jiang is the lead crime reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @ajiang_dc.