Spark romance and have better sex with these foods

3375488854_0ed378b021_b

Who doesn’t want better sex? With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, what better way to prepare for your significant other than consuming some aphrodisiacs to rev up your sex drive and romance? For those who may not know, an aphrodisiac is any substance that increases sexual desire. Even though scientific evidence for aphrodisiacs is debatable, it doesn’t hurt to try — so below is a list of 10 foods and drinks to help make Valentine’s Day just that much better.

1. Oysters

Oysters are one of the few things that come to mind when people think of aphrodisiacs and have been known about for a long time. They are high in zinc, which improves health and increases sex drive, and contain amino acids that increase sex-hormone production.

2. Chili peppers (or other spicy foods)

Capsaicin is the main ingredient in chili peppers that causes physiological responses of sweating, increased heart rate and metabolism, and increased endorphin production. These responses mimic arousal, which isn’t surprising, given that the chili pepper has long been known as exotic and spicy.

3. Avocado

Avocados have been known as aphrodisiacs, since the Aztec Empire. In addition to their rich flavor, avocados are also high in vitamin E, which maintains energy and vigor. They help the body produce hormones — such as estrogen, progesterone and testosterone — that stimulate sexual responses.

4. Chocolate

With its rich flavor and texture, chocolate had to make its way on this list. Dark chocolate increases levels of dopamine, which increases pleasurable feelings. Chocolate also contains phenylethylamine, a stimulant that produces feelings of well-being and excitement.

5. Bananas

Besides its phallic shape, this fruit actually contains ingredients to amp up sex drive. Bananas contain vitamin B and potassium, which help maintain energy levels. In addition, bananas also contain bromelain, an enzyme that triggers testosterone production.

6. Watermelons

With its already-passionate color, watermelons relax blood vessels and improve circulation, producing a Viagra-like effect. The effect is due to citrulline, which increases nitric oxide levels in the body. This spike relaxes blood vessels and speeds up circulation to produce arousal.

7. Pomegranates

Being another red fruit, pomegranates are full of antioxidants, which support blood flow to increase genital sensitivity. They also lower cortisol levels, which increases testosterone production to boost sexual desire and mood.

8. Red wine

Besides being relaxing, red wine also contains resveratrol, an antioxidant that increases blood flow and improves circulation. Look for musky masculine wines, such as some Pinot Noirs and Cabernet Sauvignons, that imitate the scent of male pheromones.

9. Salmon

Salmon is full of omega-3 fatty acids, which produce sex hormones and serotonin to elevate the mood. It is also packed with vitamins and calcium, which increase libido.

10. Vanilla

Kill two birds with one stone. Vanilla satisfies the sweet tooth and mildly stimulates nerves, making sexual sensations feel even better. Take a bath with the essential oil, or use it for a massage. The uses for vanilla are endless.

Image sources: .craig

Contact Annie Chang at [email protected].