Exclusive: ASUC SUPERB announces spring 2015 concert lineup

SUPERB
Charlotte Passot/Staff

ASUC SUPERB — the same campus organization that brought Lil B, or “The BasedGod,” to Memorial Glade — will be hosting a number of free concerts during the remainder of the spring semester. Check out these events, all of which will be taking place on campus, and stay tuned for the announcement of a special Cal Day performer later this month. Select songs from the artists can be listened to on the Spotify playlist below.

LEMAITRE:

Lemaitre, composed of Norwegian duo Ketil Jansen and Ulrik Denizou Lund, will bring its dreamy electro-pop to Memorial Glade for a free concert Saturday at 5 p.m. The two artists draw from numerous inspirations to create their dance-happy soundscapes, and their music has been likened to the catchy melodies created by Daft Punk, Justice, Ratatat and Noisia. Since forming in 2010, Lemaitre has been featured as VEVO’s artist to watch, and the album Relativity 2 reached No. 1 on the Canadian and American iTunes dance chart. Jansen and Lund strive to make each of their shows a multimedia spectacle, incorporating light, video and hypersonic sounds to create a viscerally evocative performance. The new TargetExpress will be sponsoring their trip to Memorial Glade.

Fun fact: The duo previously stated that the inspiration behind the band name came from Georges Lemaitre, the Belgian priest and astronomer who proposed the Big Bang theory.

TWIN PEAKS:

Twin Peaks will bring its signature garage rock style to Upper Sproul Plaza for a free performance April 3 at 5 p.m. The band, consisting of vocalist and guitarist Cadien Lake James, guitarist Clay Frankel, bassist Jack Dolan and drummer Connor Brodner, achieved moderate success with its first album, Sunken, in 2013 and amassed a cult following in the last couple of years. The music video for the song “Flavor” is entertaining in its own right, showcasing the Chicago-based band’s sense of humor and laid-back style. Fans often remark on the apparent chemistry between the band members, and it is no wonder why: The group of 20-year-olds are close friends and formed in high school over a shared love of music.

Fun fact: The inspiration for the band name does not come from David Lynch or the famed hills in San Francisco. When asked why they chose Twin Peaks as a title, the rockers reportedly replied with “It sounded cool,” according to the band’s website. You can read The Daily Californian’s interview with Twin Peaks here.

BADBADNOTGOOD:

What’s not to like about BADBADNOTGOOD? Known for an impressive list of collaborations, this instrumental hip-hop/jazz trio will be performing on Upper Sproul Plaza on April 9 at 8 p.m. Band members Matthew Tavares (keys), Chester Hansen (bass) and Alexander Sowinski (drums and sampler) recently worked with demigod and Wu Tang lyricist Ghostface Killah on the album Sour Soul, which received generally favorable reviews (including one from The Daily Californian). They also served as the band in residence and backing band for Frank Ocean at Coachella in 2012, and their song “Seven” with Tyler, The Creator has already garnered more than 1 million YouTube plays. Despite all of BADBADNOTGOOD’s high-profile appearances, making the transition to a campus venue shouldn’t be too much of a stretch, as the trio originally formed at Humber College in Ontario, Canada.

Fun fact: Tavares and Hansen are no longer students at Humber, though Sowinski is still enrolled “for the school’s dental plan.”

SHAMIR:

Things are looking up for R&B artist Shamir, who will be performing at Upper Sproul Plaza on April 10 at 5 p.m. The 20-year-old singer-rapper was recently signed to XL recordings, also home to pop stars such as FKA Twigs. Shamir, a Las Vegas native, has always had a craving for showmanship, rapping, “Ever since I was eight, I was attached to the mic / Wanted a guitar before I wanted a bike” on his single “On The Regular.” His music video for the song features brash colors and ’80s aesthetics, though his music is modern and at times innovative. He has been declared the “artist to watch” by big names such as Billboard and MTV and isn’t afraid to break genre conventions — he recently recorded a cover of country singer Miranda Lambert’s “The House That Built Me.”

Fun fact: The young singer is also interested in fashion and has even held a job at trendy fashion retailer TopShop.

SHLOHMO:

Famed electronic producer Henry Laufer, perhaps better known as Shlohmo, will be bringing his raucous performance to the UC Berkeley campus May 1, though the location has yet to be decided — Shlohmo’s equipment is too large for the likes of Upper Sproul Plaza. At only 25 years old, Shlohmo has made a name for himself in both the visual art world and also the music world, thanks to a unique style and sound that sets him apart from other industry professionals. The DJ has collaborated with an eclectic mix of artists, including Jeremih, Chance the Rapper and fellow Los Angeles artist BANKS. Shlohmo is set to release his sophomore LP, Dark Red, in early April, and he will kick off his first live tour shortly thereafter. His remix of Jeremih’s “Fuck You All The Time” has more than 2 million plays on YouTube.

FUN FACT: Shlohmo is part of the WEDIDIT collective, which also includes RL Grime, Groundislava and D33j.

ASUC SUPERB will be releasing more information regarding their schedule later this week. A full list of movie screenings is already available on their website. 

Gillian Edevane is the arts editor. Contact her at [email protected]g.