The Clog’s suggestions for becoming an artistic Golden Bear

artisticbear.clog.wang

Have you always wondered what your artsy friends do for fun? Have you always dreamed of exploring San Francisco’s most artistic spots, but haven’t been able to do so because of midterms? No worries, don’t let heavy academic loads ruin your artistic aspirations. We have your back with several good suggestions to enhance your taste in fine arts.

1. Legion of Honorartisticbear.clog.wang

“High on the headlands above the Golden Gate — where the Pacific Ocean spills into San Francisco Bay — stands the California Palace of the Legion of Honor, the gift of Alma de Bretteville Spreckels to the city of San Francisco.” Such a description highlights the beauty of the Legion of Honor’s architecture. As one of the most famous museums in California, the Legion of Honor was inspired by the Palais de la Légion d’Honneur in Paris. It has incomparable collections of Impressionist artists including, but not limited to, Claude Monet, Édouard Manet and Edgar Degas.

At present, three special exhibitions are in the galleries: “Artists & Editions: A Publication in Memory of Steven Leiber,” “A Princely Pursuit: The Malcolm D. Gutter Collection of Early Meissen Porcelain” and “Tapestries and Armor.” People who are interested in Renaissance tapestry arts and armors should never miss this.

Address: 100 34th Ave., San Francisco, California 94121

2.  de Young Museum

artisticbear.clog.wang

Along with the Legion of Honor, de Young museum is one of the top fine arts museums in California. Located in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, de Young not only collects masterpieces of painting but also integrates American culture into a global context. The de Young Museum is home of finest survey collections of American paintings, ranging from Native American arts and colonial paintings to the Hudson River School and tonalism.

Currently, “Botticelli to Braque: Masterpieces from the National Galleries of Scotland” is on exhibition, with world-renowned paintings selected from masterpieces by Sandro Botticelli, Diego Velázquez, Johannes Vermeer, Rembrandt van Rijn and Sir Henry Raeburn, among others.

Address: 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Dr., San Francisco, California 94118

3. Oakland Museum of California

artisticbear.clog.wang

Want to visit somewhere in the local community? Oakland Museum of California is always a good choice for UC Berkeley students. Unlike the Legion of Honor or de Young, OMCA’s distinct mission is to focus on the local community’s culture and history. “Art, history, and natural science” are three independent disciplines brought together by this museum in the East Bay.

Its current exhibitions also elaborate its mission and ideology very well. “Fertile Ground: Art and Community in California” collects paintings done by Californian artists, displaying how they have been influenced both by the local and global culture. Meanwhile, another scientific exhibition, “Bees: Tiny Insect, Big Impact,” relates to human agriculture and natural environment, targeting on educating young generations with integrative ideas on sustainable development in California.

Lastly, in case you were looking for an affordable weekend outing, OMCA offers free admission for all its visitors every Sunday of the month.

Address: 1000 Oak St., Oakland, California 94607

Image Sources:Eric WagnerKeith Cuddeback,Don McCulloughOakland Local under Creative Commons.

Contact Megan Wang at [email protected].