Injustices against Palestinian students go unreported

opinion_williampan
William Pan/Staff

Update: The screenshots included in this letter to the editor have been updated to redact names.

Cal Students for Justice in Palestine, or Cal SJP, has been the target of harassment and racism in the wake of two major protests, carried out as part of annual Israeli Apartheid Week activities raising awareness on campus about the plight of Palestinians. The perpetrators of this harassment include a campus leader, one whose name The Daily Californian refuses to publish — a chilling reminder of the impunity with which pro-Palestinian students are intimidated and suppressed on this and other campuses.

On the morning of Feb. 23, more than 600 Berkeley students received mock eviction notices as part of a peaceful protest by Cal SJP. The flyers were slipped under every door on every floor of all buildings in the Unit 2 residence halls, with the exception of a single floor in one building, where the interruption of a resident adviser prevented us from exercising our right to free expression. The flyers were clearly marked as fake, with “This is not a real eviction notice” written at the bottom of the notice.

As we noted in our press release, the flyers called attention to the real eviction notices Palestinians in the occupied territories receive from the Israeli military as part of the Israeli government’s policy of expelling Palestinians from their land in order to build ethnically exclusive settlements, an ongoing project of ethnic cleansing that has seen some 27,000 Palestinian homes demolished since 1967.

Two days later, on Feb. 25, Cal SJP set up a mock wall and checkpoint reenactment in front of Sather Gate. Israel’s 25-foot-high wall, complete with electric barbed-wire fencing, runs through West Bank villages and farmlands and was ruled illegal by the International Court of Justice. Israel also maintains hundreds of transportation checkpoints in the West Bank, which allow Israeli settlers to pass freely while Palestinians can be detained for hours or even days.

Over several hours, actors playing Israeli soldiers, Israeli settlers and Palestinians repeated a short but powerful scene offering UC Berkeley students a glimpse of the systematic abuse and discrimination Palestinians face on a daily basis.

During the protest, a man arguing with a Palestinian student asked the student why the average Palestinian wants to blow himself up on a bus. The comment was witnessed by several students. This man was later identified by students present, but the Daily Cal did not allow us to print his name.

In a separate event, another SJP member received an anonymous harassing phone call that included a series of statements conflating SJP with the Palestinian resistance organization Hamas, with which SJP is no way affiliated. This call ended with an unsettling and unambiguous threat: “You better shut down, you’re next.” It is not difficult to see how a recent campaign on college campuses across the country by the David Horowitz Freedom Center — in which large posters were hung up blaming SJP for violence perpetrated by Hamas with the label “#JewHaters” — feeds this sort of violent animosity.

Targeted harassment of individuals affiliated with SJP is nothing new. Even in the weeks before our events (when the club hadn’t been active for months), one of our members received threatening and Islamophobic emails from someone unapologetic enough in his bigotry to use his real name. These emails included violent messages and highly offensive cartoon depictions of the Prophet Muhammad. It didn’t seem to matter to the author of these messages that they were sent to one of several Jewish members of Cal SJP.

That Palestinians and pro-Palestine students should be on the receiving end of racist and Islamophobic messages is certainly bad enough and demands a firm public response from the UC Berkeley administration that has yet to come. But the most scandalous abuse is surely that a campus leader was witnessed on campus spewing such a blatantly racist stereotype — and to the face, at that, of a Palestinian student with reason to fear reprisal from the Israeli government should he or she come forward.

That leader is not the only prominent public figure in the Bay Area promoting bigotry. Andy David, Israel’s consul general to the Pacific Northwest, recently spoke about the 2013 Israeli divestment vote here at UC Berkeley: “I was at an evening of the student senate at Berkeley before the vote there. It’s a senate of 20 students and there were at least two women with hijabs. Muslims aren’t 10 percent of the students at Berkeley, but they’re gaining control of the committees.” Imagine the justified outrage and shouts of anti-Semitism that would occur if a prominent Bay Area Muslim figure accused Jewish students of unfairly “gaining control” of student government at UC Berkeley.

After this onslaught of bigotry and harassment, originating not only from Internet trolls but also from campus leaders and respected foreign diplomats, members of Cal SJP (including the authors of this op-ed) visited the Daily Cal office. We arranged a meeting with two news editors to highlight serious flaws in the way the paper has reported on SJP. We hoped that, at the very least, the paper could do some reporting on the harassment described above, as well as publish an op-ed from club members about what happened.

At the meeting, the two editors were extremely receptive to what we had to say. They acknowledged previous errors in Daily Cal reporting with respect to SJP and committed to raising the issues we highlighted with Daily Cal staff. They also acknowledged the importance of highlighting the abuse faced by SJP members, especially given that a widely respected campus leader was implicated. They stressed that reporting from Daily Cal staff would be necessary to correctly frame the issue and give the story the attention it deserved. They also said they would be able to publish an op-ed we had written. We cannot stress enough how appreciative we were of these editors, who spent more than an hour with us, diligently taking notes and recording what we had to say — we left fully confident that the Daily Cal would call attention to the near-constant bigotry and harassment faced by Muslim and Middle Eastern students.

The following day, we received these text messages from one of the editors we had met with:

text mesages

From these text messages, we understood that the Daily Cal’s managing editor believed that harassing emails aren’t newsworthy because the perpetrator isn’t affiliated with the campus. The allegations against the prominent campus leader, corroborated by eyewitnesses who spoke to Daily Cal editors, are dismissed because they wouldn’t make for a “long” enough story. The other examples we brought to Daily Cal editors, complete with documentation, were apparently just ignored. This does not appear to be a decision made by the editors we met with, who were and continue to be incredibly supportive, but rather a top-down decision by the managing editor.

These standards for what is newsworthy might come as a shock to frequent readers of the Daily Cal, who have seen recent stories about a Berkeley school breaking a record for the most people dressed up like Albert Einstein or about a board game cafe opening in North Berkeley this summer. Clear evidence of an open culture of racism targeting Muslim and Middle Eastern students isn’t as newsworthy as 300 little Einsteins! As for length, five recent articles in the Daily Cal “News” section were 463, 442, 446, 449 and 456 words long. It seems the managing editor only has staff write short stories, as long as they don’t call attention to issues affecting certain students. By saying all of this isn’t enough for a news story, the Daily Cal is unwittingly demonstrating just how pervasive and accepted anti-Muslim bigotry is at UC Berkeley and beyond.

When we followed up with the opinion editor at the Daily Cal, we learned that she would not even print our accusation against the campus leader — even in an op-ed — because the claim was “libelous and unverifiable.” We find it interesting that the claim is “libelous,” given that it was witnessed by many students, several of whom are willing to go on the record to confirm it. We also find it interesting that the Daily Cal deems the accusation “unverifiable,” given that at the time, the Daily Cal wouldn’t expend an ounce of energy reporting on the claim to try to verify it. Asking him for comment would have been a good place to start.

Possibly even more disturbing was the opinion editors’ initial refusal to print the italicized section of the following sentence, again claiming that it, too, was “libelous and unverifiable”:

The flyers called attention to the real eviction notices Palestinians in the Occupied Territories receive from the Israeli military as part of the Israeli government’s policy of expelling Palestinians from their land in order to build ethnically-exclusive settlements, an ongoing project of ethnic cleansing that has seen some 27,000 Palestinian homes demolished since 1967.

It is beyond shocking that the Daily Cal refused to print this, given that this is precisely how former United Nations special rapporteur on Palestinian human rights Richard Falk characterizes the systematic demolition of Palestinian homes in the occupied territories. This isn’t a controversial opinion but rather a statement of fact according to international law.

After receiving these appalling texts and emails, we went to speak with the Daily Cal editor in chief and the opinion editor. We were repeatedly reassured that these messages didn’t mean what they clearly meant and that stories do not have to be a certain length to be worthy of publication. They also promised us, despite continuing to decline to report on them, that the email and phone threats against us were viewed by Daily Cal staff as newsworthy. They continued to refuse to print our accusation against the prominent campus leader, repeating the unfounded claim that it was libelous. Editors did, however, finally promise to actually contact him for comment. We commend Daily Cal staff for at least speaking with the person in question. While he contested the specific phrasing and context of the quote attributed to him and while the Daily Cal still won’t print his name, we appreciate that he was held to at least this minimum level of accountability and that the Daily Cal viewed the accusations as serious enough to actually warrant its attention. Maybe he will be more sensitive when speaking to Palestinian students from now on in order to avoid another call from the Daily Cal.

The editor in chief told us she would look into why they deemed “the Israeli government’s policy of expelling Palestinians from their lands in order to build ethnically exclusive settlements” unverifiable. It is easily verifiable that not a single Palestinian citizen of Israel receives government subsidies to settle on occupied land in the West Bank. As Israel’s ruling coalition acknowledges (and, in fact, campaigns on), ethnic exclusivity is, indeed, the point of the settlements. The editor in chief also did not explain why a recently published Daily Cal op-ed — alleging that an international deal on Iran’s civilian nuclear program poses a “real and existential threat” to Israel — wasn’t held to the paper’s alleged editorial standard of verification.

While we still have no explanation for why fact-free op-eds from a certain side of the ideological spectrum are apparently not held to similar standards of verification, we did receive this message from the editor in chief Wednesday:

“After examining op-eds printed by other newspapers that used the term ‘ethnic cleansing’ specifically in reference to actions taken by Israel against Palestinians, we found there was precedent to print the phrase, and would run it in an op-ed.”

We wish Daily Cal staff would have originally agreed to print the phrase because it is an easily verifiable fact, but this is still a welcome change.

While the Daily Cal continues to show reluctance to report on bigotry faced by Palestinian students, it completely ignores the fact that the University of California currently invests in companies such as Caterpillar, which produces armored bulldozers used by the Israeli military to raze Palestinian homes in the West Bank, and Lockheed Martin, which manufactures the Hellfire missiles used by Israel to deliberately target Palestinians in Gaza.

For these reasons, Cal SJP will continue to vocally support the Palestinian call for boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) against Israel until it respects Palestinians’ human rights. The UC Student-Workers Union, the UC Student Assembly and seven of nine UC undergraduate senates have passed resolutions calling for divestment from companies complicit in the occupation, but the UC regents continue to ignore students’ voices. It would be much more difficult for the UC regents to ignore the clear consensus of the UC student body if the Daily Cal and other campus newspapers amplified voices supportive of Palestinian rights, instead of dismissing them as not being newsworthy.

While we are disappointed with the leadership of the Daily Cal for the reasons outlined above, we recognize that the Daily Cal isn’t the only institution responsible for shaping campus culture and policy. The administration has a chance to make good on its recent commitment to creating safe spaces for Middle Eastern and Muslim students by investigating and condemning racist harassment targeting SJP members, including harassment by a leader at the top level of the campus community. The UC Berkeley student senate, the ASUC, has taken well-publicized steps recently to combat anti-Semitism at UC Berkeley in response to an anonymous act of anti-Semitism at UC Davis. Cal SJP hopes administrators, student government representatives and the campus press will take similar steps to combat the clear pattern of public bigotry against Middle Eastern and Muslim students here at UC Berkeley.

— Kumars Salehi and David McCleary,

graduate students at UC Berkeley and members of Cal SJP

Editor’s Note: The Daily Californian is committed to reporting on issues at UC Berkeley and in the Berkeley community through our articles, photos and videos and by furthering conversation on these issues in our opinion section. In all of our coverage, we aim to be fair, accurate and thorough. This applies to everything we publish, including op-eds and letters to the editor. Opinion submissions are reviewed and edited in conjunction with the authors prior to publication.

In the case of the opinion piece submitted by two members of Cal Students for Justice in Palestine, or Cal SJP, a pro-Palestine advocacy organization, a quote the authors attributed to an individual associated with the campus could not be verified. Later, we confirmed that the individual contested the quote and the context in which it was said. The Daily Cal said the sentence needed to be removed before publication. After we informed the authors of our edits, they initially opted not to run the piece.

When SJP members contested another edit and said it should be reconsidered, we looked into the matter further and ultimately decided the phrase could be printed.

I have met with SJP members multiple times to hear their concerns about the Daily Cal’s coverage and institutional practices. For instance, an SJP member alerted us to the fact that no photo was attached to coverage of an SJP event two weeks ago. In fact, a photo of the event had been taken and, while the photo was cropped, edited and uploaded to our website the night of the event, it was not attached to the article by mistake. Once I was alerted to the oversight, the photo was attached.

SJP members had another concern about our news reporting policies after they received text messages from the news department that stated that the reason we would not write a particular story was because it was not “long enough” and that we could not write a story because one of the subjects of the story was not connected to the campus. Neither are reasons that we would not run a story. We believe that our coverage of SJP has been fitting of our journalistic standards, but we do not believe that the text messages reflect our overall philosophy or values.

When community members approach us with concerns about our coverage or institutional practices, we work to answer every concern in a complete and timely manner. We welcome comments about our coverage, and when errors occur in publication, we investigate them promptly and thoroughly.

We value hearing from our readers and take the feedback you provide seriously. We remain committed to serving the Berkeley community and writing about the most important issues. If there are any concerns or articles that you, our readers, would like us to know about, please email me at [email protected].

— Chloe Hunt,

editor in chief and president

Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter @dailycalopinion.

• pelsar

What the SJP / MSA / BDS (and David Mccleary in particular) are attempting to do is to use American democracy or the UN to aid in the creation of an anti gay, anti women, theocratic state, under the guise of a either a single state with a Palestinian majority or using the “right of return” to flood Israel with Palestenians.That is in effect their end game.

If questioned they will admit that according to their beliefs that in fact “the end does justify the means” meaning whatever they say, whatever they claim is subject to a credibility test (the is in reference to the original article).

Whenever one comes across something like the SJP and friends its always important to understand their real agenda and who is funding them….neither have western democracies, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom to choose as their core values.

• Rhein Ouaiffe

What a bunch of whiners. If they’re going to get in people’s faces, they should expect pushback. Berkeley needs to do more to offend these wilting flowers:
    — mock execution of Arabs by Arabs for the crime of selling land to Jews.
    — mock “honor killing” of women by their brothers
    — mock stoning of gays
    In other words, authentic vignettes of life under Palestinian sovereignty.

• El Cid

If I were a Palestinian, I seriously doubt I would want this group of “activists” fighting in my name! What if I actually wanted to live peacefully with Jews and with Israel and denounced suicide attacks against civilians?The SJP would call me a “racist”.

What if I came to school to meet diverse people and understand their point of view?

How does the average student protect themselves from such overt antagonism as the SJP?

• TheOne BillyGunn

I never claimed to be an expert. I did say that I would like to see some posts condemning Arab leadership. Michael was man enough to admit that two wrongs don’t make a right. In essence accepting huge failures by said leaders. That’s really not that hard. Do Arabs stone people to death? Yes. Would it be best to keep your rape or homosexual tendencies to yourself in Arab countries? For sure. But it still does not give Israel impunity. Is that really so hard to admit? We do tell Zionist Jews how terrible they are. Let us not be hypocrites.

• Danny Keane

*Some* Arabs stone people to death, just as *some* Jews killed 500 hundred children last summer. I would not ask Jews who were not involved in the killing to apologize for it, just as I would not ask Arabs who do not stone people to death to apologize for stoning. I condemn any type of homophobia and gender violence, when it is propagated by Israel’s Habeit Hayehoodi party – which Netanyahu characterized as his most natural ally – when it’s propagated by some among Hamas, and when it’s propagated by quite significant fractions in the republican party.

Perhaps hypocrisy lies in using phrases such as “Michael was man enough to admit that…” and then talk about “Arabs” being patriarchal.

• TheOne BillyGunn

Who’s asking anyone to personally apologize for anything? My comment was in reference to the leadership on both sides of the conflict. Your comment on patriarchal-Arabs doesn’t even address anything. It’s no secret that women have it pretty rough under Islam, why not post truthfully about it? Jewish males also suffer pretty harshly, male genital mutilation is no laughing matter. These are realities. It’s not my fault that you would like to keep Palestinian atrocities from seeing daylight. Zionist-Jews would also like to keep things concealed from the public arena as well.My only interest is justice and the rule of law. I’m afraid it is you that is being a hypocrite. I’m not referring to private citizens but rather the leadership. Get that straight.

I don’t believe you know what hypocrisy is so:
        (Gr hypokrisiā acting, playing a part) a feigning to be better than one is, or to be what one is not
        Concealment of true character or belief (not necessarily conscious)
        An instance or act of hypocrisy
        Clearly I am no hypocrite.

• Danny Keane

Maybe you’re not hypocrite, but you’re taking the liberty of speaking in other people’s name. “It’s no secret that women have it pretty rough under Islam”: I’ve actually read quite a lot of Islamic feminism–and met quite a few Muslim women–who would disagree with this blanket statement, and would not join your crusade to save them. “Jewish males also suffer pretty harshly, male genital mutilation is no laughing matter” – I’m a Jewish male who was circumcised and I do not welcome your crusade either.

If you want to join struggles of oppressed people – go ahead and join them, but don’t decide anything for the oppressed people. Using human rights violations done in other countries (e.g. Egypt, Syria) to create a false balance between them and Zionism is just not okay.

• TheOne BillyGunn

Fighter’s on the Palestinian side of the conflict have violated human rights. I believe it was in Goldman report noted along with violations on the Israeli side. I’m not on any crusade. You bring this to a public forum which just so happens to be the paper for my Alma Mater and you expect me not to have an opinion? I’m speaking as an American. I don’t deal in child-brides or male-genital-mutilation. Both cultures seem wrong to me, but that’s because I can’t help but be ethnocentric. But on some level, I am right. Not all Islamic countries have the same level of repression towards women, that’s true. But now I am starting to believe that you are very dishonest and that you are not truly seeking to find middle ground with those persons having a different perspective.

Again, mutilation of the genitals is simply barbaric. Making that comment has nothing to do with any perceived crusade and everything to do with a horrific act committed on a defenseless infant. If you can’t understand that, then that’s too bad.

• William Devillis

One last post for those of you who support the boycott of Israel. You tell yourselves that a boycott of Israeli products is righteous and that there’s no bigotry behind it.
    If you support the boycott and are reading this on your digital phone, your IPad or other tablet, your laptop or desktop, you have just made my case that you are an anti-Semitic bigot and a hypocrite. ALL digital devices made on this planet are made with printed circuit boards. Virtually ALL are made using technology patented and owned by Orbotech. Yes, an Israeli company. So, throw away all your digital devices and prove that your not a bigot or a hypocrite and believe in your cause.

• V900

Don’t forget about Intel’s CPUs which wouldn’t have been possible if it hasn’t been for Intels Israeli design-center.

Intel’s new ‘Skylake’ processor coming later this year was designed there.

And of course Apples new Retina MacBook, their iPhones and iPads also features parts developed in their Israeli labs.

My guess is that we won’t see SJP throw away their iPhones and MacBooks in protest any time soon…

• William Devillis

On the University of Oklahoma two weeks ago, some frat students sang a racist song that was captured on a cell phone. The move by Pres Boren of the I
    university. Quickly closed the fraternity and expelled two students. No tolerance for bigotry.

On many Univ of California campuses and other liberal campuses, Jewish students have been verbally and in some cases physically attacked. Swastikas everywhere. Liberal University Administration responses. Bigotry is bigotry unless your Jewish.

A Jewish student finds a swastika on his door. Liberal University responds with nothing. What would they do if a black student found a picture of a rope with a noose hanging from a tree on his door. I would expect the school would do the right thing as did Boren.

#Jewish lives matter

• William Devillis

This past year, a Palestinian Minister criticized the Palestinian business community because Israeli companies like SodaStream pay far better, provide far better benefits and allow more employee freedom than Palestinian businesses thereby causing loss of talented manpower.

Muslims in Israel make up 20% of the citizenry. They make up 10% of the Parliament and in recent years, a Palestinian Muslim man was the # 2 man in the Knesset. Just this week, a Palestinian Muslim was appointed Deputy Director of Israel’s Ministry of Science and Technology. Palestinians are lawyers, judges, doctors, scientists, techies, soldiers and entrepreneurs In Israel, they don’t call them Palestinian Muslim men or women. They are Israeli citizens. Israelis Christian population last year led large protects against the EU treatment of Israel stating that Israel was the only safe place in the Middle East for Christians.

Palestinians and religious freedom. Hamas leaders have repeatedly said that Israel must be destroyed because the Middle East is for Muslims only, no Jews and no Christians allowed. The PA leader Abbas, who wrote his doctoral thesis on denying the Holocaust, has stated at thenUN and elsewhere that no Jews will ever be allowed in a Palestinian State. The PA had greatly reduced their Christian population in recent years.

A Palestinian intentionally knifes and kills four rabbis in a synagogue a few months ago. The PA official response on TV, Facebook and official website, called for more knifings. A Palestinian driver intentionally drives into a crowd of Jews and kills and injures many. The PA response, see above. When the Three Israeli students were,killed by Hamas precipitating the war last summer, Abbas, the imam leaders and the mother of one of those that murdered the boys all called for more. Abbas gave the perpetrators the PA highest honor. Last week a woman who injured hundreds in terror attacks and killed 37 including a number of children that were killed when she hijacked their school bus was also given their highest honor. The PA has named over 200 buildings, parks, schools and streets for their heroes. Blow up a Sbarra, blow up a Passover Seder and blow up a night club, you too can get such an honor.

In retaliation for the killing of the three students last summer, six Israeli men killed a Palestinian young man by burning him to death. The mother of one of the accused and religious leaders thruout Israel called the act dispicable and horrific. Netanyahu’s response-he didn’t just call the act disposable but he said it was a terrorist act. A terrorist is a terrorist is a terrorist he said of thenJews that committed the atrocity. Any other world leader to have the balls to say what Netanyahu said of one of his own. Absolutely not.

One last point, the Palestinians talk about the terrible lives thanks to thenJews. The Palestinians, since a special UN Refugee Agency was created years ago, an agency controlled by Hamas and Islamic Jihad for twenty years, have received from the U N, the US and yes Israel, over 1 Trillion Dollars. Why are they still in refugee camps? Where’s the money? When Israel pulled completely out of a Gaza ten years ago, they left hundreds of homes and apartment buildings and 300 filled greenhouses. Hamas first act was to destroy it all. Palestinians won’t live in Jew homes and eat Jew food, they said. I guess better to starve and live in tents and blame the Jews for your life

In 2000, 2001 and 2008 Israel offered the Palestinians most of what they asked for. All Israel asked was for the Palestinians to recognize Israel and remove the section of their Charyer which calls for the total destruction of Israel. They refused.

Egypt took the deal in 1978, removed the section for room their laws and got the Sinai back and a peace that has lasted almost 40 years. In the 1980s, the Israelis trained more than 25,000 Egyptian students how to irrigate desert land and grow farms and food in the desert just as the Israelis had learned to do.

Unfortunately when college students today buy into the Palestinian babble about occupied land, what they don’t understand, the Palestinians aren’t talking about Gaza or the West Bank. To them, they mean the State of Israel is occupied land. Jess and Christians do not belong in the Middle East. They’ve been taught for 60 years that Jews made up the Holocaust so that they could steal Muslim land in what is now Israel.

Try making peace with that.

• M2000

Palestinian supporters behave just like the Paulbots, except I still think Paulbots are dumber.

• Danny Keane

Such a mature and thoughtful reflection.

• M2000

So that you can harass me if I question the Palestinian cause? No way.

• Dan Spitzer

It’s downright foolish to opine that the Daily Cal is biased vs Palestinian students. A major interest of Muslim students on campus, particularly the Palestinians, is BDS and opposition to Israel. In early Feb. over the course of six editions of the paper, there were three page 1 stories concerning those who supported BDS along with an op ed and even an art review of photography taken by Jeffrey Blankfort in the Palestinian territories. Blankfort was deemed so filled with vitriole toward Jews that even the anti-Semitic Mondoweiss had banned him. So in sum, the Daily Cal is clearly not lacking in an abundance of Palestinian issues.
    The above op-ed finds merit in the comments of Richard Falk, who has twice had to apologize for anti-Semitic tweets he wrote. Here is a revealing look at both Falk as well as Mondoweiss, a source pro-SJP people love to quote: Over the years, Falk has established himself as a 9/11 conspiracy theorist, an apologist for the brutal former Gadhafi regime in Libya and a specialist in such outrageous statements as his conclusion that the
    2013 Boston Marathon bombing was a form of “resistance” to America’s “global domination.”
    The subject of a flattering profile on Mondoweiss, writer Yeshua-Lyth introduced herself at a conference by saying: “I remember myself as a journalist explaining that a secular democratic state is actually a call for the annihilation of Israel. Today I say the same thing. It’s true, but now I support it.” This is typical of those whose work is seen on the Mondoweiss website.

• TheOne BillyGunn

That still does not change the fact that Israel is guilty of committing war crimes in the occupied territories. Say what you will about the man, the facts remain. But please, do continue your Jew tactics of deflection and deception. We are more than ready for you.

• M2000

And here we go with excusing the eviction notices even if they were fake targeting Jewish students is okay…Palestinians and their supporters playing victim…

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, it’s truly mind-boggling that SJP and MSA should claim to be victims when their intent with the eviction notices, as is the case with anyone with a brain, is to target Jews. SJP learned a thing or two when they got flack for slipping eviction notices only under the doors of Jewish students and Harvard and other universities and got flack for it. But it’s crystalline here at Cal for whom they were aiming. And now they are crying crocodile tears. Gimme a break…

• freespeechlover

They are victims. Of lies in an effort to discredit them, because their opponents refuse to argue in the face of logic and facts.

• Dan Spitzer

Nobody has to lie to discredit SJP. Their own deplorable tactics and falsehoods are more than sufficient for them to discredit themselves…

• freespeechlover

If they were discredited, SJP would not be passing more divestment bills across the US, although I admit that they’re discredited in your eyes.

• Danny Keane

Please don’t feed the troll. It’s always better to simply write what you think than get into exchanged with a bigoted racist.

• Danny Keane

• Arafat

They are victims like all Muslims are victims, right?
          Even when Muslims wipe out entire populations it’s never their fault. Imperialism, colonialism, Zionism or something else made them do it. It is never Islam’s edicts to fight the infidel until they are dead.
          Do I have that right?

• Arafat

As Nikolai Sennels said, a Muslim never sees himself as the
        cause of his own actions. It is all external reality and everything is the will
        of Allah or the fault of the Big Bad Infidel. Hence the eternal victimhood
        status, the rage, the search for external culprits, hence the jihad. You can’t
        expect anything else from people who are incapable of taking a long hard look
        at themselves and who have been told since the cradle that this look is only
        reserved for the infidels.

• Dan Spitzer

Arafat, what will never cease to amaze me about SJP/MSA is that they fail to be remotely critical of Muslims in general and Palestinians in particular. Not a word do they utter about Hamas calling for Jewish genocide, nothing but silence on the second class status women experience and the continued growth of honor murder vs teenage girls, no castigation whatsoever about homosexuality being illegal and gays being jailed in the W. Bank and executed in Gaza, and SJP’s utter failure to criticize the jailing or murder of dissidents.
          Instead, people like Mr. Keane call attention to a few Israeli extremists when virtually all of the Palestinian leadership, be they members of PLA or Hamas, support the suppression of the above victims and pay homage to suicide bombers of women and children by naming major urban squares after them.
          When you ask them to respond, they invariably try to shift attention away from any reasonable criticism. And then they redefine words like “apartheid,” “Semite,” and “intifada” to suit their own purposes.
          I’ll give SJP/MSA credit for one thing: their capacity to fabricate and create propaganda deflecting criticism away from any discrimination exercised by those they champion deserves recognition for misleading fellow students. The primary casualties of their rhetoric sans substance is Truth…

• Arafat

Of course Students for no Jews in Palestine will never accuse their fellow Muslims of any wrong doings for that would be a form of apostasy.
            This is why we rarely hear Muslims criticize fellow Muslims, or when we do it is couched in the most vanilla fashion.
            Muslim supremacy, Muslim disdain for non-Muslims, Muslim goal of building the caliphate. This is what this is really about. Muslim propaganda, taqiyya and kitman is what they are playing here because they cannot defeat Israel militarily.

• freespeechlover

But they weren’t targeting Jewish students. Stop lying. You not only do not help your cause, but you do worse–you demonstrate that you can’t tell the truth about students, simply because you disagree with them.

• Dan Spitzer

That’s nonsense. The eviction notices were the very same tactics which SJP used at Harvard and elsewhere. And they rightly got slammed for this overt anti-Semitism.

The sole alteration applied at Cal is that SJP learned that it would not be in their best interests to simply single out Jewish students at UCB-that would be too transparent. However, it certainly is clear just who their targets are…

• freespeechlover

You are wrong. The eviction notices do not target Jewish students. They didn’t at Harvard and they don’t at Cal.

• Dan Spitzer

They did at Harvard as well as some other east coast and midwestern schools. And it is clear given this history who the target was at Cal. SJP just covered their posteriors in their tactics at UCB…

• freespeechlover

This is in your head. It is not fact.

• TheOne BillyGunn

He’s always in denial. Skewing “facts” that only he knows. In other words they are unverifiable.

• Arafat

fsl, This one is for you…
            The west’s reaction to Islam has to be a prime example of Thomas Mann’s “Tolerance of evil becomes a crime”.

• M2000

And yet they were putting eviction notices on doors of students that happen to be Jewish.

• Danny Keane

Please reveal your real name. I want to take you to court on this libelous statement, which is an intentional lie.

• M2000

Why should I? Apparently when you supporters of Palestine do it, it’s fine and okay.

• Danny Keane

Great. Thank you for admitting that you lied, intentionally. Running out of arguments, you really have no other alternative.

• M2000

You’re the one who’s the liar here pal, coming at me like that. Pathetic. You accept Palestinian groups to target Jews and then lie about it.

• Arafat

Publish your name and risk death threats from Muslims. They’re not big fans of constructive criticism.

• Gene Nelson

And how do we know your name is real? And if M200 gave you a name how would you know it was real? And then go check out what happened at Northeastern Univ where SJP members targeted a predominantly Jewish dorm for their eviction notices.

• Danny Keane

Had he written his real name – you would have been able to confirm my real name in court. But he didn’t, because he knew he would not be able to defend his lie in court. Another possibility why he didn’t identify himself was that M2000 possibly represents Massada2000, which is a Kahanist organization, defined in the U.S. as a terrorist organization.

• Guest

Nice avoidance of the Northeastern situation, “Danny”.

• Danny Keane

I’m not avoiding it: SJP at Northeastern did not target Jewish students. This is just yet another libel that the Israel lobby is spreading without any proof, in order to delegitimize Palestine solidarity activism.

As a sidenote, I think it’s completely useless and unhelpful to keep denying the fantasies that paid commenters are spreading here. You deny one thing and they’ll come up with some other libel. But since you were asking, “Guest”, I hereby say that this is completely imaginary. (Perhaps the Israel lobbyists commenting here would explain how exactly you can get a list of students belonging to a certain religious group – Jewish, Muslim, Christian, or Buddhist. There is no place that holds any such data in any university, so even had an antisemite wanted to do that – they would not have been able to.)

• Dan Spitzer

SJP did target Jewish students at Northeastern. Want to sue me for libel on this too, Mr. Keane? You are pretty quick to label posters who differ with you with “libel” but like your SJP pals, all threat and no real influence. This is why the UC Regents pay whatever SJP does no heed, making it just an organization of blowhards…

• Dan Spitzer

The Daily Cal for some reason removed this response to Mr. Keane I made a day ago when he threatened to take M2000 to court for a “libelous” statement.

Mr. Keane, take me to court and see the judge laugh at you. You can file suit as you know my name. This is to say that If you falsely contend this is “libel,” you may as well substitute me as I stand by M2000’s statement. Of course, you seem to be demonstrating a lack of knowledge of what “libel” consists in, but stop making vacuous threats.

This reminds me of the SJP’s old adage that Palestine will extend “from the river to the sea”–which means the end of Israel. That ain’t gonna happen either, but those who spout such inane threatening rhetoric may well be foolish enough to believe it…

• Arafat

Earth to Danny…Come in please…

• Danny Keane

• garyfouse

If you want to employ bullying, brown shirt tactics, don’t cry foul when you get called out on them.

Has it ever occurred to you that 99% of students don’t care about the Palestinian cause and don’t care to be bothered with it? And why should they? If they only knew the history of the PLO back into the late 60s, the skyjackings, Munich olympics, Achille Lauro etc. I am old enough to remember all that. I also remember 9-11 when Palestinians were dancing in the streets and passing out candy.

Sorry, but I do not sympathize with the Palestinians, nor do I sympathize with SJP. They are a reflection of that boob professor who founded them (Hatem Bazian).

• TheOne BillyGunn

That same percent of people also do not care about Jews and Israel. If you’re so worried about Israel why not move there? You certainly are not worried about the USA as much.

• garyfouse

I have no interest in moving to Israel because I am an American. I support Israel, but I am not an Israeli citizen. And I care plenty about the USA. One of the things I care about is the rot on university campuses.

• TheOne BillyGunn

We are a scientific community. No room for any of this spiritual nonsense in our community. Assimilate or face what all other immigrants face.

• TheOne BillyGunn

What rot? Do you mean difference of opinion? Is that what you refer to as rot?

• garyfouse

You mean there is difference of opinion Berkeley? Really? I thought only the leftist narrative can be heard at Berkeley. Pro-American pro-Israel voices are rarely heard.That is the rot I speak of. You have a plethora of professors there who are an embarrassment. Can you really claim that students at UCB get a well-rounded and fair exposure to different points of view?

• TheOne BillyGunn

Of course there is. This campus has been quite conservative for a very long time. I’d say republicans comprise at least half the student body. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

From economics to philosophy and everything in between, we are taught by world-class intellectuals with varying opinions on pretty much everything. And what can I say about my fellow bears? Comprised of the very best minds the world has to offer, the classroom discussions are never lacking in perspective. That’s the Berkeley difference.

• Arafat

TOBG, This one is for you…

1. If you refine heroin for a living,

but you have a moral objection to liquor,

You may be a Muslim.

2. If you own a $3,000 machine gun and a $5,000 rocket launcher,

but you can’t afford shoes,

You may be a Muslim.

3. If you have more wives than teeth,

You may be a Muslim.

4. If you wipe your butt with your bare hand

but consider bacon to be unclean,

You may be a Muslim.

5. If you think vests come in two styles:

Bullet-proof and suicide.

You may be a Muslim

6. If you can’t think of anyone

you haven’t declared jihad against,

You may be a Muslim.

7. If you consider television dangerous

but routinely carry explosives in your clothing,

You may be a Muslim.

8. If you were amazed to discover that cell phones

have uses other than setting off roadside bombs,

You may be a Muslim.

9. If you have nothing against women

and think every man should own at least four,

You may be a Muslim.

• TheOne BillyGunn

• Arafat

fsl, This one is for you…

Yesterday, I was a mentally imbalanced psychopath standing on the edge of a steep cliff. Today, after reading the Koran, I have taken a step forward.

• Arafat

Islam is indeed a crime against humanity, and its first victims are Muslims. I think that is why Muslims are so quick and ready to assume victimhood. On a subconscious level, they feel victimized, but in their
      search for the cause of their discomfort they incorrectly identify colonialism, crusades, Jews, racism, and so forth as the cause.

• http://tayaravaknin.wordpress.com/ Or-el Vaknin

Just one question: why does the average Palestinian in the West Bank and Gaza support armed attacks against Israeli civilians inside Israel?

That’s right, 65% support that. That is a majority, for those who haven’t gotten it yet. That was published in a poll by the Palestinian Center for Survey and Policy Research:

http://www.pcpsr.org/sites/default/files/poll-54-Dec2014-English%20new.pdf

Page 25 of 26.

But you won’t hear that number. Much more convenient to cry false foul about how you’re not heard while every other student hardly has their concerns published here (like swastikas and “death to Israel” being drawn on campus buildings, in my case) as you demonstrate more loudly and frequently than any other group, frequently harassing other students while you do it.

• Danny Keane

Your question is irrelevant to the article.

Adam Naftalin-Kelman did not ask the students about “support” of attacks against civilians, but rather alleged that the average Palestinian wants to blow her/himself up. This is a racist and dehumanizing stereotype, and it is sad that you chose to change the subject instead of thinking about how such stereotypes affect this campus and your fellow students.

Every single discussion about this topic ends up with dehumanizing Israelis, their state, and the like. Sure, his comment was idiotic. But so are many of those from SJP. I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy. Instead of thinking “wow, 65% of Palestinians support that?” We’re concerned with an idiotic comment. You in particular have gone out of your way to diminish any Jewish student concerns, and now you complain that I point out that the stupid statement was simply imprecise but still based on a worrying statistic? What a waste of time speaking to you is, you are so willing to diminish anyone else when it’s not a Palestinian concern, but when anyone points out that this imprecise and stupid statement is based on a worrying statistic anyways, you say they’re diminishing the problem. What a waste indeed.

• Danny Keane

First, thank you for acknowledging that his comment was idiotic. I think it was more than “idiotic”: as I wrote, I think it was racist, and it reflects an acute islamophobia, which as this article shows pretty well, is not exceptional. What the article also shows is that this racism is not acknowledged by the university or the Daily Cal – both consider it a non-issue. In your words, both consider it “idiotic.”

Let me tell you a story. I have a Palestinian friend, who lives near LA. His son, 8 years old, played with a toy gun in their backyard. A neighbor who saw this called the police, and a SWAT team broke into their home. This is not “idiotic”. This is something that happens regularly – it is part of the structure of this country.

If you have any problem with something that SJP has said about Israelis (in Berkeley SJP has two Israeli members today, BTW), say it. But you can’t make a general argument about “his comment was idiotic, but so are many of those from SJP.”

In response to your question: If you are concerned, surprised, or puzzled about the fact that this survey found ~65% support, among Palestinians, in attacks against civilians, there are two ways to respond to it:

First, the Israel lobby way: assume that Palestinians are somewhat inherently violent, aggressive, and murderous. Israel has no other choice than occupying and repressing those savages.

Second, the intelligent way: go to Palestine. Visit a refugee camp. Talk to these people. And most important, LISTEN to these people. Look at how these people live their lives. Because perhaps you will meet some of those who said in the survey that they would support such attacks – and perhaps they will be able to explain to you what brings them to this place.

I am sorry you find it a waste of time to speak to me, and I hope you will become more open to conversation in the future, if not with me, then with others.

“First, thank you for acknowledging that his comment was idiotic. I think it was more than “idiotic”: as I wrote, I think it was racist, and it reflects an acute islamophobia, which as this article shows pretty well, is not exceptional.”

Palestinians are not all Muslim, it cannot be classified as Islamophobia.

“What the article also shows is that this racism is not acknowledged by the university or the Daily Cal – both consider it a non-issue. In your words, both consider it “idiotic.””

They did not consider it enough of a non-issue to stop this op-ed. They evidently found it important, just not in a way they could adequately report on.

“Let me tell you a story. I have a Palestinian friend, who lives near LA. His son, 8 years old, played with a toy gun in their backyard. A neighbor who saw this called the police, and a SWAT team broke into their home. This is not “idiotic”. This is something that happens regularly – it is part of the structure of this country.”

This happens to many, many people. A lot of discrimination occurs, including against me. We all want to be heard, and that’s fine. But this is irrelevant to the op-ed above.

“If you have any problem with something that SJP has said about Israelis (in Berkeley SJP has two Israeli members today, BTW), say it. But you can’t make a general argument about “his comment was idiotic, but so are many of those from SJP.””

Which ones? I can come up with many.

http://calsjp.org/?p=1722 – SJP alludes to other hate, just as I did here and which you are criticizing.

http://calsjp.org/?p=1711 – Joined a movement committed to collectively punishing Israelis in a way that would also harm Palestinians.

And that’s just looking very sparsely at their comments. Their members have done just as much, including one who said “Jewish students” caused them pain, when they did no such thing.

“In response to your question: If you are concerned, surprised, or puzzled about the fact that this survey found ~65% support, among Palestinians, in attacks against civilians, there are two ways to respond to it:

Second, the intelligent way: go to Palestine. Visit a refugee camp. Talk to these people. And most important, LISTEN to these people. Look at how these people live their lives. Because perhaps you will meet some of those who said in the survey that they would support such attacks – and perhaps they will be able to explain to you what brings them to this place.”

And herein lies the problem. Infantilization and the bigotry of low expectations. I *have* been to refugee camps. Two, in fact. I’ve looked at how they live their lives, and seen how they speak. There is nothing *inherently* wrong with them. What is wrong? Palestinian leaders steal aid that could help them, and use propaganda to insist that Israel is the devil. Palestinians believe that Al Aqsa is in “grave danger”, for example. They believe that Jews were behind Charlie Hebdo. They hear claims about Israel flooding Gaza by opening dams and believe them. They watch as Abbas praises a man who tried to kill a civilian. Israel is not blameless, but this is a wider problem than just Israel. You consistently take away their agency, saying “it’s not their fault, look at how they live!”. You take away their ability to make rational decisions of their own, and refuse to point out that *their leaders* are just as poor, if not worse.

“I am sorry you find it a waste of time to speak to me, and I hope you will become more open to conversation in the future, if not with me, then with others. As far as I’m concerned, and despite your pretty aggressive responses, I promise to continue trying to communicate with you.”

You implied that I was racist or dehumanizing in some way because I pointed out that failures to address the real problem. So please, stop twisting my point.

• Danny Keane

Okay, you got me curious: Which refugee camps did you visit? How long did you stay?
            What did you learn there that you did not know before your visit?

(I would greatly appreciate if you could write less aggressively. It’s okay if you can’t. Just asking.)

Jenin and Deheshe. I didn’t time it, but we had at least an hour with a discussion with the locals who lived there.

I didn’t know that many locals hope to remove the state of Israel, but that was about it. I’ve seen much writing on their living conditions in terms of access to water, electricity, and the like. I actually thought they were worse, and that refugee camps were all still tent-like areas of some kind. But that’s just because I’m a little naive at times. That there are buildings at all was not what I expected.

• Danny Keane

At least an hour of discussion with the locals there! And when this hour was done, Or-El Vaknin knew everything he needed to know about Palestinians. He knew that “Palestinians believe that Al Aqsa is in “grave danger”, for example. They believe that Jews were behind Charlie Hebdo. They hear claims about Israel flooding Gaza by opening dams and believe them. They watch as Abbas praises a man who tried to kill a civilian.”

And you called me bigoted. Oh, come on.

Oh, I based that on polls, actually. And fact. Here are the polls, while I’m still here! I do my best to accurately represent the results of statistical polls that carry the weight of fact, so here you go. Just so you know I don’t base my ideas on just discussion. Though it is weird that you tell me I’m aggressive when you respond like that. Hypocrisy once more, I see!

“An overwhelming majority (87%) believes that al Haram al Sharif is in grave danger”

http://www.timesofisrael.com/most-palestinians-think-israel-involved-in-paris-attacks-poll/

“The survey, which was released last week by the official Palestinian Authority newspaper Al-Hayat al-Jadida, showed 84.4 percent of Palestinians, 5,142 of the 6,090 interviewed, believed that the attacks were “suspicious, and that Israel may be behind it.”

http://www.timesofisrael.com/abbas-says-glick-shooter-will-go-to-heaven-as-martyr/

“With anger, we have received the news of the vicious assassination crime committed by the terrorists of the Israeli occupation army against [your] son Mu’taz Ibrahim Khalil Hijazi, who will go to heaven as a martyr defending the rights of our people and its holy places”

http://www.maannews.com/eng/ViewDetails.aspx?id=656950

“The Gaza government’s Disaster Response Committee announced late Friday that Israeli authorities had opened up dams just east of the Gaza Strip, flooding numerous residential areas in nearby villages within the coastal territory.”

Bye now!

• Danny Keane

The question, Or-El, was WHY do people think in this way. Where do these opinions come from. You made no effort to understand it, except for hanging on to your stereotypes.

(As a sidenote, when the Israeli government allows extremist settlers to go on the temple mount, I don’t find it surprising that Palestinians think it is in danger. Just as a sidenote.)

Bye now, indeed.

• TheOne BillyGunn

He can’t fathom the thought of admitting that the Israelis are wrong so he will turn tail and run when he feels defeated. Typical.

• Dan Spitzer

So disappointing.

• TheOne BillyGunn

What do you expect from a Zionist Jew? He’s like cartman from South Park. “Screw you guys! I’m going home!”

• Arafat

TOBG, This one is for you…

I can think of some contributions made by Muslims:

1) The discovery of America by Christopher Columbus. He and other explorers
            would not have looked for a western trade route had Muslim marauders not made
            the eastern route unsafe.

2) Enhanced airport security techniques, developed to help foil Muslim
            hijackers.

3) Drone technology, developed at least partially for pinpoint strikes on
            jihadists.

4) Anti-missile technology like Iron Dome, developed with Israel to protect
            from terrorist rockets.

These are just of few of their valuable contributions. Thank you, Muslims.

• Arafat

Danny, This one is for you…

Muslims live in a world of Orwellian double speak, where war is peace, slavery is freedom, and death is life.

• Danny Keane

We’re talking about two things:

A. Racism in UC campuses and the U.S. in general. I told you a story about my friend and you dismissed it by saying “This happens to many, many people. A lot of discrimination occurs, including against me” and then added that this was not the topic of the article anyway (actually it is. The article is exactly about racism in campus.) When I said that Adam Kelman-Naftalin was being islamophobic, you dismissed it by saying that he spoke about Palestinians, not Muslims. This doesn’t sound quite serious to me. I can’t see hear a real willingness to listen and understand other people’s experiences of racism. What I do hear is an attempt to silence other people’s experiences of racism by saying that you are suffering too, or by making nit-picky comments.

It’s interesting that one of the links that you pasted to SJP’s website was to its condemnation of the swastika graffitis at Davis. So perhaps SJP is actually very open and sensitive to racism against various groups in campus, while you are quick to dismiss it. I would actually love to hear about your experiences of racism in campus: how many times cops raided your home because they assumed you were a terrorist, how many times you were stopped and search by the police because of your skin color, how many times you were profiled at the airport because of your religion. I wonder.

B. The situation in Palestine – you got me curious. Which refugee camps did you visit? How long did you stay? What did you learn there that you did not know before your visit? Reading your summary of your visit, I couldn’t help wondering how a person can be so confident making such generalizing statements: “Palestinians believe that Al Aqsa is in “grave danger”, for example. They believe that Jews were behind Charlie Hebdo. They hear claims about Israel flooding Gaza by opening dams and believe them. They watch as Abbas praises a man who tried to kill a civilian.”

Seriously, Or-El? Do all Palestinian people you have ever talked to fall into this stereotypical category you have just outlined? If so, I strongly invite you to talk to more Palestinians. Because I know personally many Palestinians who don’t fall into your description. But if and when you talk to more people, I suggest that you loosen up a bit. Open your mind a bit. Don’t play the know-it-all – because there’s a lot to learn from other people about them, and also about yourself.

• freespeechlover

Just because not all Palestinians are Muslim, doesn’t mean that Islamophobia cannot be used to discredit their viewpoints.

Doesn’t mean that case was Islamophobia, which was the point you conveniently ignored.

• Guest

RIGHT, Or-el. It was not Islamophobia, is was Palestine-phobia. Are you happy now? Can we move on with the discussion?

• Guest

• TheOne BillyGunn

He’s running from the truth.

• Arafat

Andre Servier on Islam

“Islam was not a torch, as has been claimed, but an extinguisher. Conceived in a barbarous brain for the use of a barbarous people, it was – and it remains – incapable of adapting itself to civilization. Wherever it has dominated, it has broken the impulse towards progress and checked the evolution of society.”

• TheOne BillyGunn

If we’re going to be honest, everyone is looking at all semitic people that way (male genital mutilation for Jews and child brides for Muslims). But I can dig up some weird rules that allow molestation of children in the Talmud so you can see what I mean by all semitic people, right?

• Arafat

“Male genital mutilation for Jews…”
            You really are evil.

• TheOne BillyGunn

No. But isn’t that what you do to each other at birth? Don’t you take a knife to a perfectly normal penis and mutilate it?

• Arafat

Gregory Palamus of Thessalonica on Islam

“For these impious people, hated by God and infamous, boast of having got the better of the Romans by their love of God…they live by the bow, the sword and debauchery, finding pleasure in taking slaves, devoting themselves to murder, pillage, spoil and not only do they commit these crimes, but even – what an aberration – they believe that God approves of them. This is what I think of them, now that I know precisely about their way of life.”

• Arafat

Patriarch Cyrus of Alexandria on Islam

“I am afraid that God has sent these men to lay waste the world”.

• TheOne BillyGunn

This is what happens when Jews and Muslims fail to assimilate into American culture. Why not just stay in Israel and leave our great campus free of religious points of view. We are a scientific community, not a center for spiritual development. Nobody owes Jews or Muslims one thing on campus. Leave it to the folks who believe in God to ruin it for the rest of us. Now go pray to your imaginary friend in the sky.

• TheOne BillyGunn

Wow, now you’re flaging comments as well. Then I must repost! Immediately! This is what happens when Jews and Muslims fail to assimilate into American culture. Why don’t you go back to Israel and leave our great campus free of religious points of view? We are a scientific community and not a center for spiritual development. Leave it to those who believe in God to ruin it for the rest of us. Now why don’t you go pray to your imaginary friend in the sky or better yet, learn about that pagan star of Saturn on your Israeli flag instead of spreading disinformation regarding Israel and war crimes. Keep flagging my posts, I’ll just post more truths regarding your great faith. Jews and Muslims aren’t owed anything on campus. Get over it.

• TheOne BillyGunn

Or-el is all about deflection and deception. Typical Jew tactics. Just go read his Facebook posts.

• freespeechlover

Just one question-if you wanted to really know the answer to that question, there’d be ways you could find out. Since you refuse to try and at least find answers to your own questions, it suggests that your question is merely rhetorical and that you may have a prejudice against Palestinians.

It is not prejudicial to point out a fact. That you are so quick to imply I am a bigot for point out a fact sarcastically is sad. Your username must be a joke.

• freespeechlover

I didn’t say or imply you were a bigot. If I wanted to say THAT, I would have said it. I said you had a prejudice; at least for me, that’s a very DIFFERENT kind of statement. Everyone has prejudices, but not everyone is a bigot.

• Arafat

Vernon Richards on Islam

“The true Islamic concept of peace goes something like this:’Peace comes through submission to Muhammad and his concept of Allah'(i.e. Islam). As such the Islamic concept of peace, meaning making the whole world Muslim, is actually a mandate for war. It was inevitable and unavoidable that the conflict would eventually reach our borders, and so it has.”

• Kevin Gorman

Er.. am I imagining it, or did you redact the name of the Daily Cal’s editor from the screenshot? Since it’s listed on your staff page that seems unnecessary :p

• Guest

I’d call it an overkill.

• Nunya Beeswax

Yes, and in the last message someone named Kimmy is referred to but not redacted. Wha…?

• Danny Keane

It should be mentioned that beyond every individual racist statement that he made, Adam Naftalin-Kalman has basically ruined Berkeley Hillel. When I was a student in Berkeley, Hillel was what it was supposed to be: an open Jewish community organization, without walls, which accepts everyone. We had Muslim students and Palestinian students who came to tell the stories of their families. Today Berkeley Hillel is no longer open. You cannot hear any lecture critical of Zionism there, and Naftalin-Kalman has ignored petitions signed by hundreds of Jewish Berkeley graduates to open Hillel to diverse voices and opinions, and has embraced their marginalization.

• Danny Keane

Also, can somebody explain the following sentence to me:

“We believe that our coverage of SJP has been fitting of our journalistic standards, but we do not believe that the text messages reflect our overall philosophy or values.”

Sounds a bit confused.

• freespeechlover

needs an editor.

• Isaac Rubinson

When will SJP adopt an Open SJP policy? Will SJP co-sponsor events that offer a pro-Israel perspective? Since SJP will not do such a thing, I think you ought to pipe down a bit on your hyperbolic protestations.

• Danny Keane

SJP is a political group, which advocates for solidarity with Palestine. Organizing pro-Israel events is not what the group exists for. So just like Tikvah does’t organize events featuring Palestinian political prisons, SJP doesn’t organize events featuring Israeli Generals.

Hillel is a different kind of organization: it is a jewish community organization, which purports to be the home for all jewish students, while in fact it silences those jewish students who want to learn more about the occupation and belong to the jewish community without being Zionist. We have had several cases of jewish students who had to leave Israel just because of that. See for example: http://www.muhlenbergweekly.com/news/view.php/862839/Former-President-of-Hillel-Speaks-Out

This is where the call for open-Hillel comes from, Isaac.

• Dan Spitzer

There are plenty of people in Israel who oppose government policy yet “don’t have to leave.” Palestinians are represented in the Knesset by some members of Arab decent who advocate a single state with a Palestinian majority. There have been Israeli academics who have supported the same. Israel has long had members of the communist party and organizations even further to the left.

The example you cite is from a woman who has had her differences with Muhlenberg College and Hillel. This is different from being asked to leave Israel. Naturally, those who are foreign nationals who come to Israel to create problems and sometimes violence, such as the ISM. Understandably, strident anti-Semites such as Allison Weir are not welcome as is the case with some other foreigners who cause difficulties and are anything but supporters of peace.

Open Hillel does exist on some US campuses. It is not a part of Hillel as its members by and large do not support Israel as a Jewish State. As with all organizations in the US, Hillel is not obliged to accept members who don’t adhere to its values. This understandably pertains to those who wish to see a majority Palestinian singular state encompassing Israel, the W. Bank, and Gaza.

And oh yes, do you see anyone who is openly gay in the Palestinian territories where it is against the law? Or advocates of womens’ rights? Or dissidents working on publications in the W. Bank who know they may be jailed? Or dissidents in Gaza who likely will be executed? Of course, you know full well that gays, advocates of womens’ rights and dissidents function freely and openly in Israel–not so anywhere in the Arab world in general and Palestine in particular…

• Danny Keane

Put your reading glasses on, Spitzer. I wrote “we had several cases of jewish students who had to leave Hillel”, not Israel. Your rants don’t even make sense.

• Dan Spitzer

Well, Mr. (Not So) Keane, it enabled me to make points about the difference of freedoms between Israel and the Palestinian Territories which are completely accurate–unlike most of your diatribes. Mr. Vaknin certainly invalidated your earlier comments which he clearly demonstrated to be largely either ideological farces or fabrications.

Again, it should be noted that unlike Israel, the Palestinian territories are similar to all Arab nations save to some small degree Tunisia in that (human) rights for gays, women and dissidents are either highly limited or non-existent. It is this abridgement (to put it kindly) of human rights which SJP and MSA advocate when they support the so-called Palestinian “cause”…

• freespeechlover

Nice try.

• freespeechlover

You’re correct that there are Palestinian reps in the Knesset. But that doesn’t mean Israel treats them equally. There are numerous laws on the books that put those Palestinian citizens of Israel in a second or even third class of citizenry. Also, there are politicians in Israel like Lieberman who advocate their “transfer.” Unfortunately, pols like him are now mainstream in Israel.

• Dan Spitzer

It is a complete fabrication to say that there are lsraeli laws which discriminate vs the country’s Palestinian citizens.

Lieberman, like Ted Cruz and Tea Party members, are crackpots which are seen in every society on the planet. They represent a relatively small minority and their influence is hardly “mainstream” in Israel. To say that they are is a typical falsehood seen regularly stemming from pro-Palestinian proponents such as freespeechlover.

On the other hand, most Palestinians say that their favorite political party is that which advocates worldwide Jewish genocide in its very charter, Hamas.

And here’s a question for freespeechlover: Just how much free speech critical of the governing order can one express in the Palestinian territories? In the W. Bank you might lose your job or be jailed for so doing. In Gaza, there’s a good chance that the Hamas leadership there will execute you.

Freespeechlover, the freedoms implicit in your moniker would be applicable to you solely in Israel. I wonder if you understand this?

• Danny Keane

Dan Spitzer: “Lieberman… represents a relatively small minority and [his] influence is hardly “mainstream” in Israel”

Reality: Avigdor Lieberman is the Israeli minister of foreign affairs (one of the three top ministries in the county). In 2013 his party ran united with the governing Likud party.

• Dan Spitzer

I anticipated you raising the question of Lieberman as you never have demonstrated in the past a comprehension of how Israel’s governmental system works.
            It’s more complex than the US administrative system, although I must say that US Secretaries of State, such as first Hillary Clinton and now John Kerry would never enact policy which wasn’t first completely drawn up and cleared by the president.

lsrael has a parliamentary system made up of a governing coalition of parties. Neither the left nor the right could govern without the inclusion of smaller parties who, to garner approval for them to join in coalition of the party of the prospective prime minister, are thrown the bone of some administrative office. That’s why Lieberman was (reluctantly) given his appointment under Netanyahu’s last administration.
            But Netanyahu and Lieberman wound up at such odds that Lieberman resigned his post. When in office, all he did was flap his mouth-he did not make policy. And that’s likely all he may do if he is given some position in the new administration. Naturally, you didn’t seem aware that Netanyahu and Lieberman have intensely and openly disliked one another for years. That’s why Lieberman quit or quite possibly, was asked to “get out” by Netanyahu. Don’t you ever read Israel’s remarkably free and critical press? It’s online and unlike Palestinian papers, quite politically critical.

Those of us who support Israel often criticize Israeli political figures we don’t like. But we never hear the same from the pro-Palestinian minion. Why is that? After all, during WW II the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem spent most of the war years in Berlin helping Hitler implement the Holocaust. Yassir Arafat, that “great” Palestinian terrorist hero, stole his people blind. Much of the PLA, to the chagrin of the Palestinian people, has continued the corruption of Arafat and his fellow PLO “founding fathers.” And, of course, the Palestinians’ favorite political party leaders swear allegiance to a Hamas Charter advocating worldwide Jewish genocide.

But not a word from you and SJP/MSA people criticizing these corrupt and barbaric leaders of the Palestinians. Compared to them, Lieberman seems angelic.

• TheOne BillyGunn

That has got to be the best point you have ever made, Dan. I can respect when you criticize your own members of government and then challenge the Palestinian’s todo the same. Will they meet you halfway and do the same? Let us see. When you refer to others as bigots and hypocrites it invites a similar response. I do feel you are an ignorant Jew, just as I feel the Muslims and Christians are as well. These three faiths are based on astro-theology (the worship of the celestial bodies). The Muslim green along with the crescent represent the worship of Venus with some Saturn worship mixed in (this is why Mecca has a black square representative of saturn) The Son (Sun) of God Jesus represents the worship of the Sun. The Jewish star of David (EL/Saturn) represents the worship of the planet Saturn. This is all in the Encyclopedia Judaica. There is no harm meant through the dissemination of this information. I am giving you all truths regarding the major religions. It takes about 10 minutes of research to verify every word I have written. No point in fighting over the worship of the planets now is there?

• Danny Keane

Lieberman has been member of Netanyahu’s small cabinet. As mentioned, his party also united with Netanyahu’s Likud party in 2013. Saying he has not been in a position of influence is laughable. The same goes with Naftali Bennet of the fascist party “Habayit Hayehoodi”.

BTW, both Lieberman and Bennet were Netanyahu’s chiefs of staff before they launched their independent political careers. Netantahu doesn’t like them because at various points in the past they threatened his leadership in the right wing, but ideologically there are few to no disagreements between them.

• Isaac Rubinson

If you really understood Israeli politics, you would know that Lieberman had been mostly sidelined by the Prime Minister in the last government.

How did Hamas fair in the recent Palestinian elections? Oh, wait, there haven’t been Palestinian elections for over a decade. Hmmmm. But, the last time there was elections Hamas won a majority. What does that say about Palestinians who support an extremist terrorist group whose foundational document (its Charter) quotes the Protocols of the Elders of Zion and blames “the Jews” for starting every war since the French Revolution?

Oh, wait. Right. They are ‘freedom fighters.’ Forgot. I’ll remember that the next time an Israeli bus is exploded as a blow for freedom and liberty.

• Arafat

freespeechlover supports those who take away his rights.

++

Feb 13, 2013

In another story the Western
            media apparently refuses to cover, any Palestinian who dares to criticize Hamas
            or the Palestinian Authority risks being arrested or summoned for
            interrogation.

Palestinian journalists are
            now hoping to bring this to the attention of President Barack Obama when he
            meets with President Mahmoud Abbas next month.

The journalists say they want
            United States and the rest of the world to know that the crackdown on freedom
            of expression in both the West Bank and Gaza Strip is designed to hide the fact
            that Palestinians are governed by two repressive regimes that have no respect
            for human rights and democracy.

• Dan Spitzer

I personally think that banana and spaghetti meatballs. And then, also muslims! and Hamas! and terrorism! MSA and SJP!! And Hatem Bazyan!!!

• garyfouse

As to the idea of open Hillel, I have no dog in that hunt. I am neither Jewish or a student. My experience with Hillel at UC Irvine has been negative because they inhibit their members from standing up to the SJP and MSU.

Jewish students are very diverse in their degree of devotion to the religion and to Israel. They are up against folks who are ideologically united in their opposition to Israel. Some Jews link arms with SJP. In addition, pro-Israel students who want to speak out and stand up to the intimidation are thwarted by organizations like Hillel and the Jewish Federation, who are too embedded with the university and don’t want the bad news to get out to the community and future Jewish students who might choose to go elsewhere. The ADL ignores the problem of campus anti-Semitism because they will not confront it when it comes from Muslim quarters.

Hardly a fair fight, is it?

• Arafat

‘Open Hillel’ Legitimizes Anti-Semitism

By Zach Stern

Published Oct. 14, 2014

“Some Jews fought with the Greeks and Romans against their fellow
            Jews. Some sympathized with the crusades and the pogroms. Some Jews even
            supported the Nazis leading up to World War II.

The story is no different today. There is still a very small – but
            vocal – minority of Jews who sympathize with those who want to kill us. There
            is still a fringe sect of Jewish society that finds it necessary to love those
            who seek to kill us and blame us for our enemies’ baseless hatred.

These views include comparing the Jewish state to the Nazis,
            calling for the isolation of the only Jewish state and holding it to an
            impossible standard, and calling for the annihilation of Jewish
            self-determination.

Enter ‘Open Hillel’, a fringe group of Jewish students and young
            professionals who seek to legitimize the world’s worst anti-Semites and invite
            anti-Semitism into the Jewish community. From welcoming supporters of
            genocidal terrorist organizations (BDS advocates and other ‘Open Hillel’
            conference speakers – see below) to partnering with those who seek to wipe
            Israel off the map (for example, Students for Justice in Palestine),
            ‘Open Hillel’ is the newest version of Jewish legitimization of anti-Semitism.

‘Open Hillel’ seeks to change the Hillel guidelines regarding
            Israel programming on campuses to include those who seek the boycott and
            demonization of Israel and the destruction of the Jewish people and Jewish
            state. Hillel, according to its guidelines, is already open to all views
            on Israel, unless those views include a) the boycott of Israel, b) the
            demonization of Israel, or c) the destruction of Israel. So, by default, all
            ‘Open Hillel’ advocates for is the inclusion of Israel-hating views in
            mainstream Jewish society.

self-determination. The US State Department considers these views anti-Semitic, and most
            Jews also consider these views hateful and anti-Jewish.

‘Open Hillel’ seeks to invite those who support Hamas (an
            internationally-recognized terrorist group that openly calls for the genocide
            of the Jewish people) into Hillels on college campuses. It seeks to invite with
            open arms those who call for intifadas (terrorism against Jewish civilians).
            These views should be included and imposed upon college students as legitimate
            ideas, according to ‘Open Hillel’…”

• Isaac Rubinson

You are dodging the question. SJP may be a political organization, but when Hillel addresses Israel and the Middle East it is also taking on a political hue. If you were intellectually honest, you would call for an Open SJP that would welcome pro-Israel viewpoints. Perhaps Palestinian-American students and their supporters may benefit from opening their horizons beyond the demonizing and dehumanizing image they have created for themselves of Israelis.

Having said that, it is perfectly legitimate for an organization to determine the parameters of what it will or will not sponsor or co-sponsor. Your argument that Hillel should sponsor events by speakers that call for Israel’s demise (which is what BDS aims for) makes as much sense as calling for Hillel to sponsor events where speakers call for Jews to convert to another faith. Would you have Hillel cosponsor a program with Jews for Jesus?

Hillel has no obligation to do that. No community organization has any obligation to sponsor programs that would undermine the community it represents. That is exactly what Open Hill is trying to do. OH is a small group of radical leftist Jews who are seeking to undermine the mainstay of pro-Israel support on US campuses, so SJP can have an open field.

This is an old Stalinist tactic, and Hillel is right to stand its ground.

• Nadeem

This very detailed op-ed is the proof that racism and bigotry do exist in Berkeley and that despite its liberal facade, the Daily Cal has overall been complicit in marginalizing student populations. It is easy to identify yourself with MLK and Mandela decades after they have become mainstream. It is much harder to recognize who is being marginalized today and ensure that your privileged position does not make the situation worse.

FYI, Daily Cal. FYI, Berkeley administrators. FYI, Janet Napolitano (Oh, you shouldn’t even be listening to this crap).

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, bigotry does exist in Berkeley. SJP/MSA and their leftist followers support the Palestinians, whose own polls show that their favorite political party is Hamas, whose very charter advocates worldwide Jewish genocide. You don’t come any more bigoted than being a supporter of genocide, do you Nadeem?

• TheOne BillyGunn

Dan Spitzer is a bigot, and an ignorant Jew at that. He doesn’t even know that the symbol on his Israeli flag is not actually Jewish but pagan. But please do go on Dan. I love reading your desperate posts. Trying desperately to deny what the entire world already knows regarding Israel and war crimes. I love it.

• TheOne BillyGunn

Dan Spitzer is a bigot and and ignorant Jew at that. He doesn’t even know the symbol on the Israeli flag is actually pagan. Keep flagging my posts, I will continue for as long as you are here spreading disinformation and lies juden

• garyfouse

I am not so sure that the above is “detailed” proof of anything. I am inferring that SJP showed the DC editor some emails, and there was disagreement as to their level of threat or how they were interpreted.

Of course, threats of any kind are unacceptable and can be prosecuted. I would suggest that SJP file an official police report if they feel they have received threats and turn over said emails top the police.

In the absence of that, I can’t place much stock in it.