Berkeley High School student is stabbed during lunchtime

A Berkeley High School student has been suspended after allegedly being involved in the stabbing of another student on Thursday.

Berkeley Police Department initially responded to a report of an altercation involving BHS students near Addison and Milvia Streets a little before noon, according to BPD spokesperson Officer Jennifer Coats. One of the subjects was reported to have a knife. When police arrived, the group had dispersed.

At about 1:50 p.m. the same day, police received a call from a local hospital about a victim with a non-life threatening stab wound, Coats said in an email. According to Coats, the victim, an 18-year-old male, indicated that he was injured during the altercation reported earlier.

The stabbing occurred off-campus at lunchtime, according to an email from BHS principal Kristin Glenchur. She added that the altercation appears to have been of a personal, rather than random, nature, and that the student with the knife, now suspended, “is pending further discipline.”

The student who was stabbed was in stable condition as of Thursday evening, Glenchur said.

Berkeley police are continuing to investigate the incident, and are working with Berkeley Unified School District, according to Coats.

Melissa Wen is the executive news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @melissalwen.