Quantum of solace, episode 2: Indian Rock Park

clog.rock.fossum
Christina Fossum/Staff

While we may have spent our spring breaks catching up on some much needed sleep, shopping and sun, just one week back and we already find ourselves galumphing back to our dingy Southside abodes and anxious wrecks and burnt-out shells of our former selves. How could it be that just last week we hadn’t a care in the world save for whether we should binge watch “House of Cards” or “Mad Men”? Alas, it is no use dwelling on the past, we must look to the future. Us Cloggers believe in the power that inner peace can hold over our academic success. And what better way to dissolve our stresses and focus our minds than with a rush of endorphins and a truly spectacular view featuring the lovely natural beauty of our very own Berkeley? Enter a trip to Indian Rock Park, the second of many relaxing escapes should you ever find yourself in need of your own “quantum of solace.”
clog.indianrock.fossumSituated in the Berkeley Hills, just shy of two miles north of campus, Indian Rock Park has it all. And by “has it all,” we mean it has “Indian Rock.” This relatively large rock outcropping has been known for years as primo training terrain for aspiring rock climbers. In fact, we challenge you to not see somebody bouldering up the various nooks and crannies of Indian Rock next time you visit.

clog.indianrock.fossum

But lucky for us plebes at the Clog, Indian Rock also has some magical commodities carved into its volcanic rock, leading all the way to its summit: stairs!

clog.indianrock.fossum

We recommend visits to this Berkeley landmark early and often … but mostly early. Not surprisingly, Indian Rock Park attracts many visitors, so consider jogging over before that stressful 8 a.m. to catch the sunrise. Or bring some food and friends for sunset picnic. No matter when you decide to check it out, we guarantee you’ll find a whole lot of solace in Indian Rock Park’s breathtaking Bay views!

clog.indianrock.fossum

Contact Christina Fossum at [email protected].