PSA: tips for Tax Day

taxes 040815
Siyu Zheng/File

The deadline for filing your taxes is Wednesday! If you haven’t started yet, we at the Clog have some basic information about taxes for you!

  • Make sure you received your W-2 form from your employer. If you earned $600 or more during the year from an employer, you should be given a W-2 form. Usually you receive one in January, so contact your employer if you don’t have yours by now!
  • Fill out the correct 1040 form. There are three types: 1040EZ, 1040A and 1040. The 1040EZ is just one page and is for those who earn less than $50,000 per year, with no dependents. The 1040A is for those with incomes of less than $50,000 and allows for itemized deductions. The 1040 is the most detailed and complicated form and is for those with incomes of more than $50,000.
  • All the important forms mentioned above (other than your W-2 form) can be found here!
  • You can file your taxes electronically or return them by mail.
  • Even if you don’t meet filing minimums as a student, you should still file because you could get money back!
  • Know whether your parent(s) or guardian(s) are claiming you as a dependent.
  • There are a number of resources (including this one) that provide free assistance from IRS trained volunteers. The ASUC Student Legal Clinic also provides students with information regarding taxes and free filing, if you schedule an appointment.
  • You should receive your refund three to four weeks after you file your taxes.
  • Go straight to the source if you have more questions: The IRS has a 24/7 hotline for questions about taxes. The number is 800-829-1040. There is also more information on its website.

Also, if you’re an international student, be sure to check out the Berkeley International Office’s FAQs about U.S. taxes page.

Contact Martha Morrissey at [email protected].