Berkeley Forum panel on public higher education shut down amid protest

berkeleyforum3
Ariel Hayat/File

A panel discussion featuring Chancellor Nicholas Dirks and Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Claude Steele was shut down Tuesday night after a group of audience members repeatedly interrupted the speakers.

About 20 protesters, identifying themselves as graduate students of color and allies, chanted and shouted throughout the event, alleging the university’s failure to accomplish its mission of public good. They referenced hardships for black students, the size of Dirks’ salary and the campus’s decision not to tenure environmental science professor Carolyn Finney, among other issues.

The Berkeley Forum, a student organization, planned the event as a discussion of the meaning and value of public higher education and to address rising concerns surrounding privatization in the face of state disinvestment.

Members of the Respect Richmond Coalition, which is urging the campus to sign a community-benefits agreement intended to protect Richmond community members from potential gentrification as UC Berkeley moves to build a satellite campus in the area, protested the event as well. Students silently lined the front of the stage, mouths duct taped and signs in hand.

Amid near-constant interruption from the crowd, Dirks and Steele commented on the challenges of maintaining a traditional public university mission as state-allocated funding continues to decrease. Dirks called for a student-led campaign to develop a political basis on which the “state Legislature will begin to increase in significant ways the allocation to higher education.”

The crowd was quelled briefly after organizers announced they would reformat the question-and-answer period to accommodate all audience members instead of just the handful who had been preselected to direct questions to the speakers. But shouting and chanting from the crowd resumed after Dirks and Steele declined to comment on certain questions, and the event was shut down.

Six members of the Respect Richmond Coalition had been handcuffed and removed after a sit-in inside Dirks’ office Thursday. At the Berkeley Forum event, some held signs that read, “You can’t arrest student voices.”

While both Dirks and Steele acknowledged and interacted with the vocal protesters from the audience, they did not comment on the silent protest organized by the Respect Richmond Coalition. The campus has said that it is committed to signing a legally binding community-benefits agreement with Richmond sometime in the future but that it must take certain steps before doing so. Respect Richmond Coalition protesters, though, say the campus should sign a firm agreement immediately.

Contact Arielle Swedback at aswedback@dailycal.org and follow her on Twitter @aswedback.

A previous version of this article stated that protesters identified themselves as black graduate students and allies. In fact, they identified themselves as graduate students of color and allies.

• Mark Talmont

Carrying on Berkeley’s fine tradition of the Free Speech Movement.

• lspanker

About 20 protesters, identifying themselves as graduate students of color and allies

You mean people who identified themselves as ignorant, intolerant and boorish with their childish narcissistic behavior…

• elrod

Shame on these students for their infantile behavior.
    For them, It’s still all about me, me, me!

You can protest outside the auditorium without having to disrupt others.
    Instead, you made your yourselves a mockery rather than having your message heard.

• laura

what a bunch of stupid kids.

• This is thuggery and intimidation, not peaceful demonstration

• DashS

How can you describe this as anything but peaceful? Where was the violence?

• tenjen

Harassment is not peaceful.

• DNAC101

The so-called protesters triggered me. And there was no trigger warning about them. I felt like they were oppressing me all over again.

• M2000

Tell me again how is the UC system “private” in any sort of manner? It’s still associated with the state of California. Oh and Leftists don’t like freedom of speech, especially at the birth of the supposed free speech movement at UC Berkeley….

• Gene Nelson

Public schools are funded by the public. UCB stopped getting the majority of their funding from public coffers a long time ago. If it isn’t a public school, well even you can do that math m2000.

• M2000

UC system is still run by the state same with Cal State system.

• DNAC101

And you wonder how some of these students got in.

• TheOne BillyGunn

This Left-winger does.

• TheOne BillyGunn

It’s simply time to bash some heads. These morons have no idea how what they are doing. Especially the claim that black students are enduring any hardship.

• Gene Nelson

Sure. No hardships. No people calling for their heads to be bashed.

• nofrillsjustbills

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

• Hinh Tran

This is why we can’t have nice things – few people of stature, especially politicians, are willing to come to Berkeley because they’d likely get protested. And then we all lose out on the opportunity to engage in a dialogue with them.