Somewhat healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe

2129590208_aabb834c59_o
savard.photo/Creative Commons

For those of you who suffered a school year full of ramen, macaroni and cheese, and bowl after bowl of sugary cereal, we have a recipe you are definitely going to want to try. Summer is the perfect time to switch gears and focus on your health, whether that means going to “the place that must not be named” — the gym or making better food choices. But we still want to feel like we’re indulging, right? So we at the Clog have the perfect compromise: a healthy cookie recipe (or healthier, at least). Without any butter, flour or refined sugar, it’s almost surprising how addictive these cookies are — which you will realize when the two-dozen cookies that just came out of the oven have all disappeared.

Ingredients:

• 1 ½ cups oat flour (You can buy this pre-made, or if it’s not available at your grocery store, buy regular oats and blend them into a powder. Click here for instructions.)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • ½ cup dark-chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Mix the vanilla extract, egg and dark brown sugar.
  2. Melt the coconut oil, but do not add it until the mixture has cooled down.
  3. Add the oat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, creating a beautiful aroma almost like that of oatmeal.
  4. Now is time for the best part: adding the dark-chocolate chips. Use your cravings as a guide, and if you happen to be in the mood for some peanuts, throw some into the dough. Remember, these are supposed to be healthy cookies, so we suggest putting in some nuts, dried fruits or even something super trendy, such as chia seeds.
  5. Place the dough to freeze for 30 minutes, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper. While you’re waiting for the dough to freeze, you can work through your indecisiveness and pick something to watch on Netflix.
  6. After the dough is frozen, scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and place it in the oven to bake for nine minutes.
  7. While you wait, entertaining yourself either by watching Netflix or by watching the cookies bake, make sure you have a plate or a bag ready.

Once the cookies are done, go ahead and indulge — guilt free! It’s totally fine to be a couch potato occasionally. So stuff your mouth with gluten-free cookie after gluten-free cookie. Enjoy the final product, and send a picture to your past roommates to make them jealous!

Image Source: savard.photo

Contact Hajar Larbah at [email protected].