Picks of the week: Nostalgia knocks

picks
Linus Gelber/Courtesy

When nostalgia comes knocking, what do you do? Yield to the urge to relive days gone by, of course! Whether you’re looking to explore a bit of history, delight in old pastimes made new or just indulge in the comfort of a years-old favorite, this edition of “Picks of the week” has you covered.

Any time: “We Are Never Ever Getting Bad Blood”

Taylor Swift’s highly anticipated “Bad Blood” music video was released May 17, and the  YouTube gods have already blessed us with “We Are Never Ever Getting Bad Blood,” a music-video mashup of the gritty single and “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” Swift’s 2012 breakup anthem. Whether you’re a Swift fan who wants to see an old song made new again or a media studies major looking to put the decades-old Frankfurt School lamentation on the standardization of pop-music compositions to use, you’ll find this video to be three minutes of pure mashup gold.

Thursday: “Jurassic Park” at Jack London Square

On Thursday, stop by Waterfront Flicks, a biweekly series held on the ferry lawn at Jack London Square. This week’s film is the 1993 hit “Jurassic Park,” but upcoming titles include childhood classics such as “Mrs. Doubtfire” on July 9 and “Finding Nemo” on Aug. 13. The films start 9 p.m., but pre-screening festivities include snacks, trivia and giveaways, beginning 8 p.m. Be sure to bring your own blankets and chairs to make sure you’re properly equipped to enjoy these beloved films by the waterfront.

Friday: “Orange Is the New Black” season three premiere

It’s been a year since we’ve seen the ladies of Litchfield Penitentiary, and boy, are we glad they’re back. In true Netflix fashion, the entire third season of “Orange Is the New Black” will be released Friday, so be prepared to ask a roommate, friend or relative for his or her Netflix login information in advance. With 14 new episodes and the addition of Australian DJ, television presenter and all-purpose pretty person Ruby Rose, the third season of “Orange” is sure to delight. Plus, you’ll have hours upon hours of binge watching to keep you occupied well into next week.

Saturday: Bubble Battle SF 2015

Based in part on Dr. Seuss’ “The Butter Battle Book,” the first bubble battle took place in New York in 2006. Since then, cities worldwide have held their own bubble battles. San Francisco’s first-ever bubble battle will be held Saturday in Dolores Park, so come armed with bubble solution, and be prepared to battle with soapy abandon and a healthy dose of childhood glee.

Sunday: Haight-Ashbury Street Fair

San Francisco’s historic Haight-Ashbury neighborhood certainly has a colorful history. On Sunday, celebrate the iconic community at the Haight-Ashbury Street Fair. First held in 1978, this daylong celebration features food, vendors and three stages of live music. As the website explains, the fair “was developed in response to the re-birth of the economic and residential spirit of the community in the mid-1970’s.” Do your part to carry this spirit of community into the present day by stopping by between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Sarah E. Adler is the arts & entertainment editor. Contact her at [email protected].