BART adventures: Powell Street stop

Yerba Buena Gardens
Shawn Clover /Creative Commons

Part two of our “BART Adventures” series takes us to the lovely Powell Street and Civic Center/Union Plaza stops. We will be skipping over the Montgomery Street station and heading toward the third and fourth BART stops in San Francisco: Powell Street.

Surrounding the Powell Street stop is a hub of commerce and, because of this, San Francisco tourism. Whether you’re planning an all-day mall trip or taking your significant other ice-skating, Powell Street can be your one-stop shop.

The total round-trip fare for both stops is $7.80.

Westfield San Francisco Centre

The Westfield San Francisco Centre contains more than 170 shops and restaurants across its nine stories. The stores vary from Claire’s to Nordstrom. There’s even a small grocery store. This is the place to get your hardcore shopping done, if you’re into that sort of thing.

Price: varies

Address: 865 Market St., San Francisco, Calif.

Yerba Buena Gardens

If you’d rather experience the majesty of the outdoors, the Yerba Buena Gardens is your place. Yerba Buena Gardens is a multi-block public park area that includes large lawns, cafes, an outdoor amphitheater, labyrinth, the Contemporary Jewish Museum and many other attractions. Year round, you can enjoy free admission to the outdoor Yerba Buena Gardens Festival, which features all manner of eclectic and intriguing performances from clowns to dance performances. The Yerba Buena Center for the Arts is only $8 for students and features visual, film and performing art exhibits. After watching an outdoor performance and visiting a museum or two, you should stop by the Yerba Buena Ice Skating and Bowling Center and enjoy a skate during the public skating hours or a glow-in-the-dark late-night bowling experience.

Price: varies

Address: 750 Howard St., San Francisco, Calif.

Civic Center/UN Plaza

The Civic Center/UN Plaza BART stop drops you off in the middle of the hub of San Francisco’s government buildings. While looking at UN and city buildings is always fun, we suggest checking out these two nearby attractions.

Price: free!

Address: McAllister and Leavenworth streets

San Francisco Symphony

We’re sure we don’t have to remind you that there is music other than the latest Top 40 that you can listen to. The San Francisco Symphony has been giving concerts since 1911 and has since made a name for itself as one of the best symphonies in the world. This 2015-16 season, you can get tickets to performances of Beethoven, Tchaikovsky and many other composers. They also have a film series where you watch a movie while the SFS plays the soundtrack live. These include films such as “The Nightmare Before Christmas” and “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial.” As a student, you qualify for a special offer wherein you only have to pay $20 for a variety of concerts. The first step toward a new life as a cultured individual is to sign up for their mailing list.

Price: $20 (select student concerts)

Address: 201 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco, Calif.

San Francisco Ballet

The San Francisco Ballet season is from Jan. 24 to May 8, 2016, so unfortunately you won’t be able to see the Swan Lake any time soon. But keep a visit to the SF Ballet on your to-do list for the spring semester. The only exception is the Nutcracker, which performs from Dec. 16 to Dec. 31, 2015. And who doesn’t want to see the Nutcracker?  As a student, you are eligible to purchase discounts on same-day performances, so check the website often.

Price: $11 to $22 for same day performances

Address: 301 Van Ness Ave. at Grove Street, San Francisco, Calif.

Image source: Shawn Clover under Creative Commons

Contact Sophia Zepeda at [email protected].