Visual art, live music celebrated at Feels 3 micro-festival

Feels-3
Wine & Bowties/Courtesy

At its core, Feels 3 is a mini-festival taking place at West Oakland’s American Steel Studios on Saturday. But to its curators, Will Bundy and Max Gibson, it’s an opportunity to unify and showcase Oakland’s creatives and the community at large.

“Our job is to cultivate that community and try to build a platform for independent and up-and-coming artists for people to present their creative work,” Bundy said in a phone interview with The Daily Californian.

The Feels events are deeply rooted within Wine and Bowties, an art and culture blog and community that originated as a way for Bundy and co-founder and best friend Gibson to wax fanatic about Bay Area rap, basketball and sneakers. Over the past five years, Wine and Bowties has expanded its palette, setting up a range of events throughout the Bay, including art shows, lectures, film screenings and underground parties. The Feels series acts as a massive culmination of these events, curated as an all-encompassing, multi-sensory experience.

The Feels micro-festivals — which started as a group art show with a couple of DJs soundtracking the gallery — have expanded to multiple warehouses and stages. Feels II, which took place in November, featured headlining artists such as Los Angeles beatsmith Teebs and Oakland-reppin’ rapper Kreayshawn. This year, behind-the-boards maestro The Internet is headlining, along with performances by producer D33J of the Wedidit Collective and producers DJ Earl and Taso of the Teklife footwork collective. The event will also feature the work of more than a dozen artists and food from three local street vendors.

The camaraderie that the Wine and Bowties brand has fostered since its inception has been pivotal in picking artists to feature. For example, Miami artist Marilyn Rondon, whose work was previously featured in Wine and Bowties, was tapped to create a walk-in installation piece for Feels 3 as a result of her prior engagement with the blog.

Community is an integral part of the Feels brand; opting to keep the event small-scale and affordable was key for Bundy. By keeping ticket prices relatively low — general admission pricing is $20 — the Feels festivals maintain their accessibility, allowing less exposed artists and musicians the chance to widen their scope of visibility, and allowing aspiring Oakland creatives of all backgrounds get to rub elbows with the Bay’s artistic community. And with a multitude of hyped-up artists, curators, zine makers and musicians taking part in the festival, Feels 3 is bound to be a haven for brilliant thinkers.

Feels 3 will take place Saturday at American Steel Studios in West Oakland. Tickets are available here.

Contact Joshua Bote at [email protected].