BART adventures: West Oakland

9475724101_48256493b9_k
Derbeth/Creative Commons

Far to the west is a mythical land that nary a UC Berkeley student has visited. This land is called West Oakland, and it is a true diamond in the rough. West Oakland is home to some of the best food in the East Bay and houses two places that can only be described as adult playgrounds. In West Oakland your childhood dreams can be realized as you shove your face in amazing food.

Brown Sugar Kitchen

Buttermilk-fried chicken and cornmeal waffle with brown sugar butter and apple cider syrup.  That’s just one item you can order at Brown Sugar Kitchen. With a focus on locally grown, seasonal and organic ingredients, Brown Sugar Kitchen offers excellent “soul food.” Tanya Holland, owner and chef at Brown Sugar Kitchen, has put her soul into making her restaurant a delicious and unforgettable experience.

Price: $10-$30

Address: 2534 Mandela Parkway, Oakland, CA 94607

The Crucible

Have you ever wanted to learn how to make jewelry? How about glass blowing or welding? Woodworking more your style? Oh, that’s too tame? Fire eating is obviously what you’ve always wanted to do. At the Crucible you can take classes to learn how to do all these things and more. Advertised as a “non-profit educational facility that fosters a collaboration of Arts, Industry and Community,” the Crucible is a place where anyone can learn a neat skill and practice creative expression.

Price: Varies

Address: 1260 7th Street, Oakland, CA 94607

10th & Wood

10th & Wood, located not shockingly on the corner of 10th Street and Wood Street, specializes in modern Americano-style foods such as biscuits and gravy and pulled pork sandwiches. Their garlic fries are worth the extra dollar, and their veggie burger is out-of-this-world amazing. We at the Clog don’t want to micromanage your day, but you should take some time out of your busy schedule to head down to 10th &Wood.

Price: under $10

Address: 945 Wood Street, Oakland, CA 94607

Trapeze Arts Inc.

Remember when you were a child and threatened to run away to join the circus? No? Was that just us? Either way, Trapeze Arts Inc. will reawaken the child in you. They offer a wide variety of classes where you can learn how to navigate a flying trapeze or Chinese acrobatics. I don’t know how we managed to get this far into our time at UC Berkeley without having a mental breakdown that ended with us signing up for a trampoline class, but it’s never too late.

Price: Varies

Address: 1822 9th Street, Oakland, CA 94607

Image source: Derbeth

Contact Sophia Zepeda at [email protected].