Blueberry date bait cake

blueberry cake
Hajar Larbah/Staff

Berry season is finally here, which means we at Eating Berkeley are ready to bombard you with berries. Blueberries are filled with antioxidants, low in calories and rich in energy and nutrients, so why not stuff them in a cake? Our recipe for blueberry date bait cake is so good that we’ve heard rumors that one bite will make the eater instantaneously make out with you (note: success not guaranteed, just highly probable). If we’ve convinced you, follow the recipe below, and the hotties will start following you.

Ingredients:

For the cake:

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 sticks softened, unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 cup blueberries

For the toppings:

• 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour a cake pan.
  2. Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt).
  3. Then, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar on high speed until the mixture is fluffy.
  4. Add the three eggs one at a time into the fluffy mixture, making sure each is completely incorporated before adding the next.
  5. Reduce speed to low and add 1/3 of the dry mixture and 1/2 of the milk, and continuously alternate until all ingredients are mixed.
  6. Mix the teaspoon of flour with all the berries. Pour half into the batter. Pour the batter into the pan, and top with the rest of the blueberries.
  7. Mix the sugar and ground cinnamon, and dash it across the cake generously. It should look something like fairy dust.
  8. Place the cake in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  9. Look out your window, because we have a feeling that your date bait cake has brought someone to your yard. ;)

Contact Hajar Larbah at [email protected].