Regents approve salary increases, hear results of UC faculty compensation study

regents_ysu
Yinan Su/Staff

SAN FRANCISCO — The UC Board of Regents approved Thursday base salary increases for some members of the university’s senior management in an effort to make UC salaries more market competitive.

The salary increase will pertain to those in the senior management group who have held their position for at least one year and have not received a raise in the past year — including five UC chancellors — and prompted criticism from UC student leaders. The raises, passed by the regents’ Committee on Compensation, aim to improve the recruitment and retainment of talented UC senior leadership and staff.

Among the UC chancellors who will receive a base salary raise is UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks, whose pay will increase by 3 percent to $516,446 annually.

“Now that the State has invested in a tuition freeze, it is shameful to see the UC allocate raises for executives making upwards of $200,000 per year,” said Kevin Sabo, acting president of the UC Student Association, in a press release. “This is a betrayal of families across California and a crisis of priorities that will affect much-needed funding for enrollment growth and deferred maintenance.”

The regents also heard from Susan Carlson, UC vice provost for academic personnel and programs, about keeping faculty compensation at market levels. Carlson presented a 2014 study on UC ladder-rank faculty remuneration, which includes salary, health and welfare benefits, and retirement benefits.

The study of 7,305 UC faculty, conducted in partnership with the consulting firm Mercer, found that total faculty remuneration was 10 percent below market levels in 2014 — a drop from 2 percent below in 2009.

Mary Gilly, chair of the university’s Academic Senate, said at the meeting that she was not surprised by the results of the study. She noted that the university once offered substantial benefits that could counterbalance the relatively low faculty salaries.

“This can no longer be said,” Gilly said at the meeting. “UC’s benefits do not compensate at all for UC’s below-market salaries.”

The study’s findings will be taken further into consideration when the UC Office of the President develops a set of 2016 retirement options.

Contact Andrea Platten at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @andreaplatten.

• Andrew Bennett

LAYOFF 500 loyal Employees to give yourself a pay Increase/Millions of Dollars in Boneuses

• Stuart

Students get a great deal in terms of education, but want to turn the clocks back (understandably) to a time when the state actually provided enough funding to the UC unlike the current 10%, they complain when there are fee hikes (not realizing that the university strives hard to offset those with financial hikes as best they can for the neediest – like other private and public universities do), they complain bitterly when the underpaid administrators and professors (many of whom who have chosen to serve a public institution specifically to serve a greater public) get paltry pay raises. They are joined in such complaints by anti-tax troglodytes who just would like relief from all taxes and who want to lower or stop all funding of public higher education. And the result is a lot more likely to be, in these cases, that political pressure increases for cutting state funding (which in turn would necessitate more fee hikes). The students complaining about the paltry raises – not to mention complaining that the $15 minimum wage hikes won’t help them as a class – are completely shooting themselves in the foot and missing the point. I would have thought they’d be better educated than this. When Mario Savio’s cohort protested for civil rights and free speech, it had much broader implications than pursuing any selfish gains for students (unlike calling for reduced fees). Students should full-stop be voices for increasing state funding for education at all levels. They shouldn’t be joining their voices with those who just want state funding of public education to disappear altogether…. Must be tough to be an administrator at UC – to be underpaid and at the same time have to deal with such naïveté…

• And this generosity will of course fall on the backs of the students and taxpayers of the great state of California.

• Mark Talmont

Down at the puny little campus at UC Merced they just hired a new police chief. Base salary of $188K plus at least about $50K worth of bennies. The whole system is unhinged from reality.

• still trying

Yes it is. That is why I am upset. I pay almost 10 thousand dollars in property tax to Berkeley each year. And the home has been in my wife’s family going back to 1928, which is covered by prop 13. Plus other taxes, total bill for California, just over 20,000.00 each year. That’s not including federal. Am I getting my monies worth, definitely not. Why do you think I an fighting so hard. We want to stay in our home, but we are being carpetbagged by the City and State. If we were to sell and move, the property taxes on a new home would be over 14,000.00 each year just for Berkeley. More than 1100 each month, to the City just to live in our home. Are we getting value for our money, definitely not. Does the City listen when we have a complaint. Definitely not.

• still trying

Can you say “overpaid”

• J Flores

The Chancellor of the top public university in America doesn’t even come close to top 10 in salary for public schools: http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/07/pf/college/highest-paid-public-university-presidents/

Dirks is actually incredibly underpaid, even after the raise.

• still trying

UC failed to pay into pensions for 28 years. UC stated that we are so good and smart, no one has to pay for retirement anymore. Why do you think the reason your tuition keeps going up. And do not say because the State cut contributions. UC is now taking in more total money today, than before the cuts. They are just paying what they owe from repeatedly bad management decisions. UC still owes 1.2 billion for your stadium, which sits directly on the most dangerous fault in California. UC is self insured covering the stadium and high performance gym. If the ground ruptures, the ground will most likely shift 30 feet or more. Presenting a stadium that will be totally useless. The stadium is not self supporting and will start requiring more and more from the general student tuition fund. If you would read info other than the ridiculous source you posted, who would realize that this is a game. I get a raise, so you get a raise so I get a raise and so on and the pay increase cycle starts over. This is a game played around American Universities called catch up. Janet was blackmailing the state and holding students hostage for more money. All of that money, over 90% of it went into their pensions. None of the new money actually went to help student’s lower their tuition.. So you are saying we should continue to pay and increase their pay regardless of being competent.. A top University should not have made as many major blunders over the past few years as Cal., Sexual assaults, deaths, injuries of students, Cal does not present a competent picture. Now the DOJ is investigating sexual assault cover-ups at Cal. Dozens of student are suing Cal for incompetence and cover-ups. The DOJ is suing Cal for misappropriation of 1.2 million dollars. Cal sold a 1500 pound, 1.2 million dollar piece of artwork for 128.00 including tax that was immediately sold to a L.A. art museum for almost a million dollars. I can list many more financial blunders done at Cal . Pay has nothing to do with performance, every major study shows this. When Cal and UC are run efficiently and well, then pay should climb. Not the other way around.

• J Flores

Wow… it’s like a massive organization has warts. What a novel concept. Dirks still getting top tier school chump change? Got it.

Sexual assaults, deaths, injuries of students, etc will happen here, and everywhere else. Regardless of exec pay.

• still trying

Better supervision would improve things. Look at all the other schools you just mentioned.

“Sexual assaults, deaths, injuries of students, etc will happen here, and everywhere else. Regardless of exec pay.”

Every other school in the country that had troubles with frats the last two semesters, put those offending chapters on probation. Multiple sexual assaults, fall 2014, September, October, November, January, April and May. Death at frat November, Death again from drinking December. Not one frat was put on probation or prohibited from having parties. Further putting fellow students in harm’s way.

If a moratorium on parties and drinking had been put in place in October when things were becoming public and after 30 days of Cal trying to cover them up, maybe 2 deaths and 12 sexual assaults mat not have happened. More examples of neglect and incompetence regarding student oversight by Dirks. He is more interested in making speeches on how great Cal is, instead of dealing with the truth. I find many of those in academics and as leaders of Universities are living in a fantasy world and totally unaware of reality. Dirks must take responsibility for multiple deaths, injuries and rapes at Cal last school year.

Injuries that could have been prevented if UC and Dirks were competent. Remember Cal’s lawyers in court have stated, “Cal does not owe students a safe environment.” Bullshit.

• J Flores

“Moratorium on parties and drinking” Oh ok, now this makes sense. Enjoy life on whatever planet that is.

• still trying

Have a nice weekend and enjoy the beautiful weather.

• still trying

More like tumors that continue to grow and suck the life’s blood from the State taxpayer.

• Mark Talmont

You should see what they pay the football coaches!

• still trying

I know, more obscene.

• Stuart

Yes