Regents approve salary increases, hear results of UC faculty compensation study

Yinan Su/Staff

SAN FRANCISCO — The UC Board of Regents approved Thursday base salary increases for some members of the university’s senior management in an effort to make UC salaries more market competitive.

The salary increase will pertain to those in the senior management group who have held their position for at least one year and have not received a raise in the past year — including five UC chancellors — and prompted criticism from UC student leaders. The raises, passed by the regents’ Committee on Compensation, aim to improve the recruitment and retainment of talented UC senior leadership and staff.

Among the UC chancellors who will receive a base salary raise is UC Berkeley Chancellor Nicholas Dirks, whose pay will increase by 3 percent to $516,446 annually.

“Now that the State has invested in a tuition freeze, it is shameful to see the UC allocate raises for executives making upwards of $200,000 per year,” said Kevin Sabo, acting president of the UC Student Association, in a press release. “This is a betrayal of families across California and a crisis of priorities that will affect much-needed funding for enrollment growth and deferred maintenance.”

The regents also heard from Susan Carlson, UC vice provost for academic personnel and programs, about keeping faculty compensation at market levels. Carlson presented a 2014 study on UC ladder-rank faculty remuneration, which includes salary, health and welfare benefits, and retirement benefits.

The study of 7,305 UC faculty, conducted in partnership with the consulting firm Mercer, found that total faculty remuneration was 10 percent below market levels in 2014 — a drop from 2 percent below in 2009.

Mary Gilly, chair of the university’s Academic Senate, said at the meeting that she was not surprised by the results of the study. She noted that the university once offered substantial benefits that could counterbalance the relatively low faculty salaries.

“This can no longer be said,” Gilly said at the meeting. “UC’s benefits do not compensate at all for UC’s below-market salaries.”

The study’s findings will be taken further into consideration when the UC Office of the President develops a set of 2016 retirement options.

Contact Andrea Platten at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter @andreaplatten.