Combating homesickness

i-wanna-go-home
pixgood/Creative Commons

Homesickness, also known as “college is hard, and I just want to curl up in the fetal position on my parents’ bed,” is an ongoing illness that affects approximately 100% of college students — 0% of whom are willing to admit it. Home is like your first love, the one who will stay with you forever and will set the standard for everyone else, and Berkeley is like the hot new relationship you’re in — passionate, but lacking that tenderness. What we’re trying to say is, Berkeley, it’s not you — it’s us. If you are currently missing home, your parents, your friends, your pets, your car or a home-cooked meal, you are not alone, and we at the Clog have some ideas to alleviate your pain.

giphy

1. Keep a group text going between your closest friends from home

Maintaining a long-distance relationship between your friends is hard work, but it’s also extremely rewarding. There’s nothing like reminiscing on all the dumb things you did in high school.

spongebob photos

2. Decorate your living area with photos of family and friends

Get some updated photos developed at CVS and put them up where you can see them every day! If you can’t actually be at home, make it feel as much like home as you can.

giphy (2)

3. Travel home for a weekend

If you have the time and the resources, this is probably your best bet for curing homesickness. Go hug your parents, lie in your bed and drive around your hometown — reliving the glory days.

giphy (5)

4. Go out with your friends here in Berkeley

Ignoring your problems isn’t something that we condone, but this welcome distraction is a good way to remind yourself of the freedom and independence you have here at UC Berkeley!

tumblr_ln78mifrp61qeqw0k

5. FaceTime your parents

Even though your parents are pretty much obligated to offer you encouraging, loving words, they’re still nice to hear. Tell them you miss them. Tears may be shed. They will undoubtedly be as happy to see you as you are to see them, so give them a call when you’re missing home. Who knows, a care package may be in your near future …

Image source: pixgood, giphygiphy, giphy, giphy and tumblr

Contact Carina Zhao at [email protected].