Symbiosis Gathering 2015 Preview

essay14
Michael Drummond/Senior Staff

Related Media

After a brief 2014 hiatus, Symbiosis Gathering is back this weekend with another can’t-miss festival to celebrate its 10th anniversary. The four-day event takes place from Thursday to Sunday at Woodward Reservoir Regional Park in Oakdale, California — about two hours away from Berkeley. With a stacked lineup, an impressive group of visual artists, climbable and fully interactive art installations, live theatrical performances, gourmet food and an assortment of artisan vendors, and a whole range of speakers and workshops, there is something for everyone.

Symbiosis Gathering — considered one of the last stops on the West Coast transformational festival summer circuit — has a unique and eclectic group of renowned electronic and live musicians. The event is full of powerhouse artists such as Nicolas Jaar, Cocorosie, Emancipator Ensemble, Damian Lazarus, Kaytranada, Griz, Shpongle, Sylvan Esso and Justin Martin. Attendees can catch some of the mellow and beautiful melodies of Random Rab or Desert Dwellers during a sunrise set, as well as experience countless opportunities to get down to some funky beats from Dimond Saints, Thriftworks or any of the Desert Hearts and Dirtybird crews. Plus, most of the six stages are surrounded by a 2,700-acre lake, so attendees can jam out while swimming, floating or dancing on top of one of the many art boats.

This community-oriented, counterculture festival prides itself on more than just the music. The transformational aspect comes from the multifaceted events focused on education, self-realization, creative expression and mindfulness. There are yoga classes throughout the day, guided meditation and healing workshops, permaculture and sustainability discussions, and speakers from many walks of life.

This gathering is sure to be an art-filled sensory overload. If you’re one of the Berkeley burners who still need some decompression, or if you want a little taste of Burning Man vibes without the extreme conditions, this event is meant for you.