ASUC SUPERB announces fall 2015 concert lineup

Print
Katie Jocelyn/Staff

Having post-concert withdrawals after catching Toro Y Moi on Memorial Glade last month? Well, never fear ASUC Superb is back in action with its fall concert lineup! So whether you’re looking for a low-budget night out or just a quick study break while pulling that midterm all-nighter, these free, exclusive, on-campus concerts are here to fulfill all your live-music listening needs.

— Rosemarie Alejandrino

Nightcub

Nightcub_online

When: October 10 at 8PM
Where: Anna Head Alumnae Hall

Much like a good salami platter, this event will offer you a delightful sampler though, instead of delicious snacks, you’ll be treated to both student talent and electronic music. Anna Head Alumnae Hall will be a venue for a group of four student DJs who will each perform a set, and the night will showcase a variety of musical genres hip hop, disco, house, trap, dubstep and other genres of experimental sounds.

Because the last Nightcub, which happened in February, was such a highly anticipated and well-received event, you can expect the hype to carry through to this semester. The exact line-up remains a mystery, but if you’re a fan of local talent and dancing, Nightcub will be right up your alley.

— Lindsay Choi

J. Phlip

Quilt J.Phlip

When: October 29 at 7PM
Where: Anna Head Alumnae Hall

Meet J.Phlip, one of EDM’s latest, up-and-coming house DJs. After launching her career in Illinois, the electronic artist has currently moved her home base to San Francisco, where you might catch her performing at venues such as Kiji Sushi or Cowboys and Angels. Check out her infectious club hit, “Say My Name.” She’s toured all over the U.S. and Europe, and her impressive resume includes high-profile gigs at HARD Summer, Coachella and Ultra. Now, the artist will be stopping by Berkeley for an ASUC Superb performance.

Forget the long lines, the stone-cold bouncers and the marked-up bottle service. If you’re looking for a good time, there’s no need to Uber all the way to the club because ASUC Superb will be transforming Anna Head Alumnae Hall into a festive, student-friendly dance floor October 29. As a free concert, it’ll be friendly to your wallet too.

—Jason Chen

Widowspeak

Widowspeak copy_online

When: November 6 at 5PM
Where: Upper Sproul

Hearing the Brooklyn duo Widowspeak for the first time is akin to developing an old roll of photographic film — the effect is all fuzzed-out, sun-bleached and fogged-up bliss. Touring in support of its latest release, All Yours, Widowspeak has enveloped its sound with a spare, hazy minimalism that’s rustic and nostalgic — indebted to the past greats of shoegaze and dream pop — but never tired or dated.

With song titles such as “Ballad of the Golden Hour” and “Cosmically Aligned,” Widowspeak knows that beauty is fleeting, as are most things in nature. But boy, does the duo excel at capturing evocative snapshots of these temporary moments. Swaying melodies and smooth guitar licks give way to lead singer Molly Hamilton’s rich, worn vocals, recalling Lana Del Rey’s cat-eyed croon and Cat Power’s sensual melancholy in equal measure. It’s a perfect fit for Windowspeak’s early-evening Nov. 6 performance on Upper Sproul. As the sunset’s soft glimmer washes over the dignified, faded glory of Sproul Hall, this picture-perfect scene of wistfulness will feel just right for Widowspeak’s set.

— Joshua Bote

Quilt

Quilt(2)_online

When: November 6 at 5PM
Where: Upper Sproul

Quilt emerged during Shane Butler’s and Anna Fox Rochinski’s studies at the School of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and it has since played at SXSW in March 2010. The band uses a variety of instruments, ranging from saxophone to steel guitar. Add in the heavy use of hazy reverbs, and this band is truly unique.

Its latest album, 2014’s Held in Splendor, features a bit of ’60s psychedelia layered under Rochinski’s breathy harmonies. The songs are much more complex when compared with those off the band’s first album, eponymously named Quilt, which was made fresh after the members’ college graduation. Be sure to catch “Arctic Shark,” a dreamy tune with a sitar-like riff that pays homage to the Beatles post-Shankar. The band is on tour throughout the United States and will be coming to the Fillmore in late October.

— Sofia Raimondi

Hippie Sabotage

Hippie Sabotage_online

When: November 13 at 8PM
Where: Anna Head Alumnae Hall

Hippie Sabotage, the Sacramento-born-and-raised duo of brothers, has been climbing the lofty ladder of fame since the mid-2000s, when it began to mix beats for its hometown hip-hop artists. The two brothers have been floating around the music scene for years, releasing their first EP in early 2014 titled Vacants, filled with swirling trap tracks.

Yet just recently, the two siblings have risen to prominence after popular musical artist Ellie Goulding posted on Instagram their remix of Tove Lo’s song “Stay High.” The track has reached more than 1 million hits after Goulding’s stamp of approval, allowing Hippie Sabotage to become a musical mainstay. Since its big break, it’s been remixing tracks that bend the confines of all genres, using artists ranging from Lana Del Rey to Mikky Ekko. With its lethal combination of popular music and trap, it’s safe to say that Hippie Sabotage is a must-see.

— Kayla Oldenburg

Mick Jenkins

Mick Jenkins_online

When: November 19 at 5PM
Where: Lower Sproul

In the midst of Chance the Rapper’s infectious bounce and Chief Keef’s fearsome drill, it’s refreshing to hear Mick Jenkins, a Chicago rapper who doesn’t rely on either sheer exuberance or shocking rawness. Instead, Jenkins simply pairs acerbic lyrics analyzing his generation’s condition with a harsh flow and a booming, visceral voice. The result is utterly unforgettable.

Filled with water-based symbolism, the rapper’s breakout mixtape, The Water[s], features him preaching over experimental, catchy beats that “water’s more important than gold.” With the release of this year’s abstract but equally powerful Wave[s], Jenkins shows no signs of slowing down as he expands his sound. Expect to be both intellectually and physically exhausted by the end of his set, which you can catch Nov. 19 on Lower Sproul. Jenkins’ opener will be Berkeley’s Caleborate, aka TBKTR (That Black Kid That Raps), who recently released his debut album, Hella Good.

— Kevin Lu