Attempted armed robbery occurs near Grizzly Peak on Sunday

An attempted armed robbery occurred near Grizzly Peak on Sunday, according to a crime alert released Monday.

About 11:24 p.m. Sunday, four UC Berkeley students pulled into the Signpost 21 turnout on Grizzly Peak to observe the view when they noticed three vehicles already parked there.

Numerous individuals were seated in each of the vehicles, and one of the males in the group allegedly approached the victim’s car and pulled out a gun. The suspect allegedly struck two of the victims with the gun, demanding their property, but the victims managed to drive away without giving their property to the suspect. The victims sustained minor physical injuries.

An East Bay Regional Park District police officer was notified of the crime, and UCPD and EBRPD officers searched the area. Police were unable to locate the suspects or the vehicles.

According to police, there were about 10 suspects, including six Hispanic women, two black men and a Hispanic man. The vehicles of the suspects were described as a white, early 1990s Ford Thunderbird; a black or dark-blue, early 2000s BMW 3 Series; and an unknown model of a newer black or dark-blue sedan.

Check back for updates.

Bo Kovitz is the city news editor. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @beau_etc.