BAMN hosts tribunal, talks ongoing trial over Occupy Cal protests

tribunal_MichaelWan_online
Michael Wan/Staff

On Monday, the UC Berkeley chapter of BAMN held a public tribunal in Wheeler Hall during which it discussed its ongoing lawsuit regarding the 2011 Occupy Cal movement and encouraged campus and community members to join its cause.

The lawsuit — which names the campus and district police as well as the administration — accuses certain individuals of alleged “first amendment violations and use of excessive force.” It was first filed Nov. 29 of that year, a few weeks after the demonstrations. The two parties are waiting on a final decision from the court.

According to Shanta Driver, BAMN national chair and one of the plaintiffs’ attorneys on the case, the case has been ongoing because such polarized court cases “tend to get dragged out.”

Campus spokesperson Janet Gilmore said in an email that campus leaders have taken numerous steps to improve protest management on campus since 2011. The Protest Response Team, led by senior campus administrators, was created in early 2012 to respond to future protests in a time and manner that would help de-escalate the situation.

“I think everyone wishes that the events of that day had unfolded differently and we have taken steps to address that,” Gilmore said in an email. “The lawsuit, however, is unfounded.”

During the tribunal, a panel of four of the plaintiffs from the case, along with Driver, gave background on the case, all addressing their own experience during the protests. Besides Driver, the panel consisted of Yvette Felarca, a former campus graduate student and a BAMN organizer; Benjamin Lynch, a campus astrophysics doctoral student; Anthony Morreale, a campus graduate student at the time of the protest; and Max McDonald, a campus undergraduate during the event.

The plaintiffs also played video footage from the event of interactions between police and protesters.

“That day and that night of protest were life changing,” Felarca said after the footage had finished playing. In the video, she had been near the front of a crowd of protesters when the crowd and police converged. “This is not just four years ago — this is right now. The law was not set up to be on our side, but history is on our side. It’s going to take winning in the streets and on campus for us to win this lawsuit.”

Some members of the audience reacted viscerally to the video clips of the protest, saying the footage reminded them of their experience with alleged brutality at the event. For Ergoat Oneiric, a Berkeley community member and a former organizer of Occupy Cal, this was the case.

“This lawsuit will hold administrators accountable in a way that no previous settlement ever did, and that’s why it’s so important,” Oneiric said.

Contact Harini Shyamsundar at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @hshyamsundar.

• Jay Beswick

Teacher who engineered Sacramento Riots on 6-26-16 ran for US
    Secretary of Education, against Arne Duncan.
    Middle School Teacher seen throwing punches in a planned riot. AFT Candidate radical statement.

http://www.dailycensored.com/bamn-yvette-felarca-bamn-presidential-candidate-for-aft/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92NZGy-DKrxem5GdWdlMXJ2aGs/view
    invitation to protest, to bring weapons and kill FREE SPEECH

AFT – American Federation of Teachers – A Union of Professionals The
    American Federation of Teachers is an American labor union that primarily
    represents teachers. The union was founded in Chicago in 1916, with Margaret
    Haley credited as its founder and first leader. Wikipedia Founder: Albert Shanker
    Founded: April 15, 1916 Headquarters: Washington, D.C. Parent organization:
    AFL–CIO

Leader of local
    BAMN/Antifa ran for US Secretary of Education Washington DC Arne Duncan. Yvette
    Felarca a radical Social communist

AFT – American Federation of Teachers – A Union of Professionals

The American
    Federation of Teachers is an American labor union that primarily represents
    teachers. The union was founded in Chicago in 1916, with Margaret Haley
    credited as its founder and first leader. Wikipedia

Founder: Albert Shanker

Founded: April 15, 1916

Headquarters: Washington, D.C.

Parent organization: AFL–CIO

BAMN: Yvette Felarca,
    BAMN Presidential Candidate for AFT

The AFT Must Defend Public Education!

Act Like a Union! Take Strike Action

and Actions in the Streets!

Build the New Civil Rights Movement! No New Jim Crow!

Arne Duncan Out Now!

Elect a Leadership that Fights to Win!

BAMN believes the
    exact opposite. We believe that our union is strong. We believe that the rich
    and powerful are not the only force that can make and change history. The years
    of supplication have achieved nothing. Despite all the mass layoffs, blows to
    seniority and tenure and attacks on academic freedom we have had to weather,
    our union remains the strongest force in the battle to defend public education.
    If we stop carrying out the losing policy of relying solely on electoral
    politics and unquestioningly handing over tens of millions of dollars to the
    Democrats, we can be powerful enough to reverse the losses we have suffered.
    But we must act. We must be bold. And we must stop avoiding using the most
    powerful weapons we have in our arsenal, the ability to strike and to call mass
    actions in the street. A call by our union leadership for mass mobilizations
    would moralize hundreds of thousands of teachers, our students, the Latina/o,
    black and immigrant communities that are chafing under the new Jim Crow, and
    all of those who are tired of being “disappointed” by the failures of the
    Democrats and are just itching for a fight. If you elect BAMN, we pledge to
    turn our union back into a union and to give every teacher who can not stand
    what is happening to us and public education the opportunity to assert our
    power, restore our dignity and finally fight to win.

BAMN pledges to tell
    the truth. Four years of Arne Duncan trying to create a parallel, stratified
    non-union system of charter schools counter-posed to public education have
    failed to achieve anything but the denial of public education to millions of
    black, Latina/o and immigrant students. Race to the Top has been an abject
    failure by any measure, and is transparently aimed at demoralizing teachers,
    and destroying union gains. We pledge to do every thing in our power to get rid
    of Arne Duncan. We will not let President Obama confuse our endorsement of him
    with a vow of silence. We will fight to get our union to put demands on the
    Democrats and make clear we have an independent agenda that we are fighting for
    which we will not subordinate to any misguided electoral strategy.

There is a new
    movement fighting for public education on campuses and in communities across
    the nation. BAMN has led student struggles to defend higher education on
    campuses and across the country. We have championed and helped organize the
    Latina/o and immigrant communities’ fight for the DREAM Act, and path to
    citizenship, and equality. We teach students in predominantly black and
    Latina/o schools and have had the pleasure and honor of walking out and
    occupying with them in cities across the country. We have prevented the firing
    of pro-student and anti-racist teachers and even principals and led successful
    campaigns to save art and music programs and to stop school closings.

Wikipedia;

The group’s activities have included handing out flyers, organizing
    demonstrations and engaging in direct action. They believe that physical
    aggression is inevitable in the struggle against fascism: in their opinion,
    fascists should either conform or be killed. In line with their ideology, and
    as a consequence of being constantly monitored by the police, the group has no
    central authority. This means it has a flat organization consisting of many
    independent groupings, without a board or leader. AFA works with other
    anti-racist groups all over Europe.[2][3] It is also described as a
    heterogeneous group which in the 1940s was mostly made up of social democrats,
    communists, as well as progressive Christians.[4]

If you can get away it [sic],
    carry weapons, or if there’s a chance you might get searched by cops, carry
    items that can be used as weapons in a pinch (hefty flagpoles, thick placard
    sticks, batteries, maglights, bike locks).…And don’t forget your masks—nothing
    makes the fascists tremble like a group of black-clad, balaclava-wearing Antifa
    bearing down on them.”

Sacramento Riots Explained/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QcW6RotMk

• brookstyle

The lawsuit — which names the campus and district police as well as the administration — accuses certain individuals of alleged “first amendment violations and use of excessive force.”

And here is felarca, of Bamn, using force to violate someone’s first amendment rights.only last week. Go to 4:10 or so and you will see her attacking a man only 15 feet from the police. Hypocrisy.

• roccolore

BAMN is a black supremacist group that supports quota systems.

• lspanker

The fact that people pay these clowns any attention is how badly the Left needs to find “racism” under every rock to bolster its own screwy view on how the world works.

• “According to Shanta Driver, BAMN national chair and one of the plaintiffs’ attorneys on the case, the case has been ongoing because such polarized court cases “tend to get dragged out.””

Its not dragged out because its polarized, its dragged out because there is no case and BAMN is just grandstanding to get attention

• lspanker

Attention-starved narcissists, every one of them…

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, Felarca lives to grandstand and play the game of “racial victimization.”. If she didn’t, who would pay her and her ilk any mind?