BART on track to modernize Downtown Berkeley station

bart_sengel
Sam Engel/Staff

At an open house in the station Wednesday and Thursday, BART staff and project consultants gathered input from riders about modernizing the Downtown Berkeley BART station.

Comments will also be accepted through an online survey in which participants score the importance of station environment, access and amenity changes. The survey, which has so far garnered roughly 450 responses, is available through Oct. 15 and will inform the Downtown Berkeley station modernization conceptual design plan, which wraps up late 2015 or early 2016 before the project moves into design phase.

BART will work with the Alameda County Transportation Commission to implement the plan’s estimated $10 million improvements, in part, with Measure BB funding. BART has the discretion to prioritize its allotted state Proposition 1B funds on this or other projects.

Similar to other original stations, Downtown Berkeley has received only minor renovations since its construction in 1970. The current effort in Berkeley is part of a larger BART station modernization process that incorporates changes to the concourse, platform and station.

Hannah Lindelof, a BART senior planner, said they are looking for ideas and inspiration to improve the station’s sustainability, circulation of passengers and overall aesthetics.

Lindelof stated that the Berkeley station does not have the congestion of other BART stations but that they want the station to run more sustainably. This involves increasing the use of underused areas and more efficient lighting.

Berkeley resident Clarence Bennett has used the Downtown Berkeley BART station since it opened and said his chief concern was to open the restrooms.

BART closed its underground restrooms at the request of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security after Sept. 11, and they have remained closed since. DHS viewed public areas where people concentrate to be vulnerable to attack.

BART Board Director Rebecca Saltzman, who represents District 3, where most of Berkeley’s residents live, said she thought the restrooms could be reopened and is “really pushing for Downtown Berkeley to be one of the first pilots.”

Community members voiced interest in including more amenities in the station. UC Berkeley senior Tomo Ueda said he would want more shops inside the station, such as coffee shops or boba tea shops.

Frank Bowden, who manages Scooter’s Coffee and Yogurt, one of the two operating businesses in the Downtown Berkeley station, said a potential move for BART would be to install solar power by using the rotunda.

John Allen, who has worked as a news vendor in the station for the last 13 years, pointed to a need for directional signs.

“So many people come down here (and) don’t know where the elevators are,” Allen said.

Allen said that he has written letters to BART over the course of his career but that BART has yet to act on his suggestions.

But Tim Chan, BART planning manager and former Daily Californian staff member, said that certain developments necessarily take some time but that there will be a wayfinding and signage program at the platform, concourse and street level in the future.

Contact Pamela Larson at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @PamReporting.

• flashsteve

It’s kind of funny. I graduated in 1969, lived in Berkeley until 1976, worked in Richmond and took BART and I see the same round building that I used. Funny in that it has not been remodeled in 45 years.

• $$$Google World Work Money$$$

last week I bought a brand new McLaren F1 after making $19427 this-past/4 weeks and-over, 18-k this past-munth . this is actually the coolest work I have ever had . I began this 3 months ago and straight away started making a cool at least $97 per-hour . Learn More At
      ..uv..
      >➤➤➤➤➤➤ http://www.GooglesMoney11.Tk

!!#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#=#!!

• When all the money is being wasted on bloated union salaries, is it really surprising when there is nothing left to maintain infrastructure?

• david vartanoff

In ranked order, RE OPEN the bathrooms.
    Re locate the elevators–the platform to concourse should be near the main agent booth south of the escalators.
    Build a new stair/escalator entry east of Shattuck in the mini plaza adjacent B of A–Save the majority of riders having to cross Shattuck at street level. Also potential area for a new elevator to the concourse.

In the ultimate dream, the current escalators would be turned 90 degrees to be parallel to Shattuck, the street straightened, NB traffic returned to the current one way south segment, and the NB stub restricted to delivery and transit only. In thatscenario the new stair escalator set could be integrated into a much better set of bus stops separating riders from auto traffic.