Berkeley High School put on lockdown after police receive tip about student with weapon

Update 10/8/15: This article has been updated to reflect new information from Berkeley Unified School District spokesperson Mark Coplan and Berkeley High School Principal Sam Pasarow.

School officials put Berkeley High School on lockdown Thursday afternoon after Berkeley Police Department received an anonymous tip about a student with a weapon.

According to Berkeley Unified School District spokesperson Mark Coplan, BPD received a tip that a student on the Berkeley High campus was carrying something “inappropriate” and requested that the school be put on lockdown about noon. Coplan said the student was taken into custody by BPD as of 1 p.m.

“They were able to approach the student without any fanfare, (and) it was very quietly done,” Coplan said. “The lockdown was merely a precaution.”

Berkeley police searched the campus and the student’s possessions but didn’t find anything, according to Coplan. He said the lockdown was lifted about 1:20 p.m.

According to an email from Berkeley High Principal Sam Pasarow to high school parents and guardians, in response to the lockdown, the district will conduct a review of the reports received and the immediate actions taken with staff, BPD and district partners.

Staff writer Brenna Smith contributed to this report.

Contact Katy Abbott and Alex Barreira at [email protected].