What does your Myers-Briggs personality type really mean?

crowdedness.tony_zhou
Tony Zhou/File

You may be familiar with the Myers-Briggs personality test, which gives you a four-letter personality assignment indicating what kind of person you are, who you work well with and what you should be doing with your life. Take the test here if you haven’t already. Once you’ve taken the test, you’ll probably read the blurb you were given and convince yourself that you match that ambiguous description. But what do those four letters and the characteristics they signify — introversion or extroversion, intuition or sensation, feeling or thinking, and judging or perceiving — mean for you? How do they translate to the person you are here at UC Berkeley? We at the Clog have come up with 16 plausible descriptions of what each of the 16 personality types might look like as students here at Berkeley.

INFJ

You’re contemplating switching majors from chemical engineering to sociology because you want to know everything there is to know about the world and determine the meaning of life in the process. You don’t often talk in class, yet when you do, your GSI is always impressed with your insight. You often enjoy discussing deep philosophical topics with your roommates and you sometimes feel like you know and take care of them more than you know and take care of yourself.

INTJ

Main Stacks is basically your second home, and at times it feels like you spend more time there than you do in your apartment and in class combined. You hate working in groups because you’re always right and people are incompetent. You already have your Tele-BEARS appointment in your Google calendar, and you’ve already started studying for the four technical classes you plan to take next semester.

ISFJ

You’re probably on the pre-med track (or you should be), considering how selfless you are. You’re all too used to putting your friends’ needs before your own.  You’re the person your friends count on to keep up their morale the day before a midterm at the Student Learning Center or to accompany them to a new medical service club meeting, even if you may not be as interested as they are. You never brag about yourself, but you’re pretty awesome. Go treat yo’self.

ISTJ

You’re one of the proud few at Berkeley who always have their life together and are good at pretty much everything they do, no matter how much is on their plate. You’re somehow balancing your membership in Cal Band, your library work study job, your CS 61A lab assisting and your near-perfect GPA. You’re a great mentor and people aren’t afraid to come to you for advice. People might tell you that you’re too serious or reserved. Joke’s on them when BearFacts is updated again.

ESTJ

You’re bound to be at the top of an exclusive business club or professional fraternity or sorority. You’ve seriously considered running to become an ASUC senator, as you’ve developed a penchant for telling people what to do.  You’re that student who’s always one step ahead of everyone else in all of your classes. You probably go to office hours regularly and answer all of your professors’ questions just for validation. Go you (we hate you).

ESFJ

You always lose track of the number of people you wave to when walking through Sproul Plaza, and many of your friends envy your popularity. You’re either planning or seeking out dinners, hangouts and parties every weekend, and you get anxiety if you find out someone you met from one such event might not like you. You’re always willing answer your friends’ call at 2 a.m. to walk them home from frat row because you’re concerned for their wellbeing more than your own.

ENFJ

You’re that person who not only introduced yourself to everyone in your dorm freshman year, but also acted more like a mother to them than your RA did.  It takes you an hour to walk through lower Sproul because you have to catch up with every old friend or acquaintance you happen to see there. Your charismatic personality makes it easy for you to score leadership roles in clubs you’re not even that invested in solely based on personality. Everyone loves you — but you’re not bragging.

ENTJ

You’re pretty much the reason Berkeley has the competitive reputation that it does.  You rarely go to class because you feel you can learn more effectively on your own — it’s not worth the 20 minute uphill walk to Soda Hall. You probably already have an impressive paid internship at LinkedIn that all your friends are jealous of, and you’re pretty confident that you could go out into the workforce tomorrow if you wanted to.

ESTP

You’re always convincing people to go with you on Bay Area adventures or road trips to Lake Tahoe even when you should probably be studying for midterms. You’ve joined Taiko, Cal Climbing and AFX just “for fun,” yet you’ve somehow made each of them a new hobby. You don’t know exactly what you want to do with your life after college, but it’s OK — you’ll probably figure it out on graduation day.

ESFP

You’re the one who came to Berkeley for the experience and environment rather than just the academics. You never say no to karaoke, foodie adventures or spontaneous San Francisco trips. Because of this, sometimes your active social life is at odds with your academic goals. Your friends think you’re crazy (in a good way) and you love being the center of attention. You rarely do class readings but you’ll contribute to the discussion anyway just to have your voice heard.

ENFP

You’re the kind of person who wants to create meaningful friendships with everyone there is to befriend — from your neighbor in your 8 a.m. lecture to your ex-roommate’s best high school friend to the vendors, artists and psychics on Telegraph Avenue. You’re enthusiastic about college and you love spreading this enthusiasm while flyering or tabling on Sproul. You have trouble focusing and you’re often overtaken by stress, but it’s nothing a good cry and a call home can’t fix.

ENTP

You might want to consider a political science or legal studies major, as you get a kick out of arguing with people (and winning). You rarely feel the need to go to class (though you may be seen in lectures unrelated to your major) as you’d much rather spend your time learning and seeking out academic stimulation for the fun of it rather than out of necessity. You’re an enigma to your roommates who never seem to know where you are, and no longer see the use in asking.

ISTP

You’re probably the engineering or computer science major that your humanities friends take advantage of if they have tech problems. But you don’t mind — you actually enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to work with your hands. You’re obsessed with the new app you’re creating and you’ve been so invested in it that you’re more or less nocturnal. You’re not the first one to attend a party, but if your friend wants you to, you’ll pretty much go along with anything.

ISFP

Known to be the hipster of your friend group (although it’s hard to tell in Berkeley), you may seem laid-back but are actually much more thoughtful and creative than people think. Your Instagram posts are always deep and artistic, reflecting the complex pool of emotions you harbor. You’re passionate about what you’re studying, and you’ve always wanted to pursue an english major and philosophy minor regardless of whether or not they have practical applications.

INFP

You often get lost in your own thoughts during class because your daydreams are so much more compelling than the material on your next midterm. You found the Black Lives Matter and tuition hike protests last year fascinating, though you would never participate in a protest yourself. You care so much about your friends that you’ll listen to them cry and rant for hours about the B+ their GSI gave them or their recent internship rejection. But you’ll never let on to your own academic and social disappointments.

INTP

You admire almost all of your professors and you secretly aspire to be Alex Filippenko. Your friends think you could very well be the next nobel laureate because you’re always talking about a science article you read or the research that’s going on at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. You value the time you spend alone and you don’t necessarily need companionship —  though you could use someone to remind you to eat and sleep occasionally.

Contact Jasmine Tatah at [email protected].