We frequent Thai Basil, Thai Noodle II and the many other Thai food establishments around campus. But as broke college students, we don’t want to spend too much money, so we try to stay in as much as possible. With this recipe, inspired by a post from one of our peers, you can have gourmet cuisine in the comfort of your own residence hall for less than $3! And you’ll have all your friends fawning over how good of a cook you appear to be.
- White bowl (yes, it has to be white #aesthetic)
- Microwave or kettle (to heat up water)
- Knife (for cutting)
- Trader Joe’s rice noodle soup bowl
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Crushed chili
- Sriracha sauce
What you’ll do:
To cook mushrooms:
1. Slice mushrooms and place on microwavable plate. Cover and microwave on high for 1-2 minutes.
To cook noodles:
- Follow directions on noodle packaging:
1: Carefully peel back the lid to open bowl halfway. Empty contents of seasoning, vegetable and oil packets (optional) into the bowl.
2: Add water, filling bowl up to lower inside ridge.
3: If using microwave, cook on high for 2-3 minutes. If using boiling water, fill bowl to lower ridge. Cover and let stand for three minutes.
4: Remove lid and stir well.
- Pour noodles and liquid into white bowl
- Sprinkle with crushed chili
- Drizzle with Sriracha sauce in a pattern of your pleasing
- Top with cooked mushrooms
- Garnish with cilantro
6. Go somewhere with good lighting and take a picture of your meal. Admire how beautiful your microwaved concoction looks, and feel proud of yourself as the likes roll in.
Contact Kithumini Jayasiri at [email protected].