When is it acceptable to take an Uber to class?

Daily Cal
Siyu Zheng/Staff

Disclaimer: This is not endorsed by Uber.

The sun rages as an uncomfortable dampness spreads across your back. You’re patiently waiting for the 51B to take you to campus, but once again, you’re disappointed by the frequent delays of AC Transit. Do you risk being late to class yet again or do you wait another five, 10 or 15 minutes for the 51B? There’s a third option, though scorned by others — you can request an Uber to class.

We at the Clog are lazy and let’s be honest, aren’t we all? None of us enjoy walking in the scorching heat of this Berkeley Indian summer with six pounds of school supplies and books weighing down on our back. Even more so, none of us look forward to walking back to our respective residence halls or apartments after an exhausting day of back-to-back lectures and midterms. So why do people give looks of disdain when a fellow peer arrives in a nicely air-conditioned Uber? Why are people labeled as being spoiled or high maintenance for choosing to spend a few dollars to arrive at class on time?

Our campus, according to U.S. News Report — the organization that proudly names us the “Number 1 Public University in the World” — is roughly 1,232 acres. That being said, it’s definitely not unreasonable to call an Uber when you’ll most likely have to walk more than five miles a day given that your classes are spread across campus — from Etcheverry to Dwinelle to Evans halls. Our justification for taking an Uber to class is that it costs roughly a meal at a campus eatery. Maybe it’s just us, but we’d rather skip a meal or two than have to hike from Wheeler Hall to Foothill any day. Especially when global warming has been surprising us all with these extremely hot and humid days.

If you’re still contemplating whether you want to call an Uber to class, check out this helpful infographic.uber graphic (1)

Contact Lauren Ahn at [email protected].