Commission wisely rejects inappropriate BDS resolution

ColorEdited_JackyLu_Divest
Jacky Lu/Staff

Carol Sanders’ Oct. 29 op-ed, “Commission’s divest resolution, despite failing, breaks important ground” celebrates the fact that anti-Israel activists hijacked a Berkeley Human Welfare and Community Action Commission into holding a hearing on an anti-Israel resolution that the Berkeley city attorney deemed it had no business even considering. Such “victories” are standard fare for the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions Movement.

Sanders claims it was somehow remarkable that the issue of “Palestinian rights” was discussed. American policy for many years has been to support a just peace on the basis of two states for two peoples — the Jewish state of Israel and a future Arab state of Palestine. The real problem here is that BDS insists that human rights and justice for the Palestinians require limiting the right of the Jewish people to self-determination in their homeland. The central demand of the BDS movement — the “right of return” for millions of descendants of Palestinian refugees who fled from 1947-49 during the war launched by the Arabs to destroy Israel at its birth — would turn the Jewish people into a minority in their own homeland. And as Omar Barghouti, co-founder of the BDS movement states, “I am not for a two-state solution.”

Former commissioner Cheryl Davila, who was removed from her position after refusing to remove the divestment resolution, is not a heroic victim in this entire matter. Over the course of a year, she knowingly diverted the work of the commission, trying to fit the square peg of anti-Israel activism into the round hole of addressing poverty in Berkeley. As one example, she attended the recent Atlanta conference of the U.S. Campaign to End the Occupation, where an award was given to Rasmea Odeh, a convicted terrorist involved in the death of two young Israelis.

The hearing at the Human Welfare Commission itself was far from an enlightening debate. Some anti-Israel speakers presented the usual canards and lies, such as the charge that the fate of the Palestinian population under Israel’s control is similar to the genocide of European Jewry in the Holocaust — factually wrong, as the Palestinian population has grown four times larger since 1967.

Letters sent to the commission in favor of the resolution bemoaned that Berkeley was “deeply influenced by the monied Jewish lobby” and tried to defend the diversion of the commission’s work as an issue of “free speech.” Jewish Voice for Peace claimed at the commission’s September meeting that it represented the Jewish community, but grassroots Jewish community members turned out to oppose the resolution. A letter to the commission opposing the resolution was signed by many Jewish community leaders and rabbis. By my count, in the end nearly two-thirds of the speakers, Jews and non-Jews, urged the commission to reject this deeply flawed and biased measure.

Furthermore, just as BDS activism on campuses and in communities often leaves a trail of anti-Semitic incidents, several Jewish Berkeley residents described how they were targeted with hate speech in the few weeks leading up to this hearing. This should not surprise anyone. While not every BDS advocate is an anti-Semite, many can be.

In the end, despite the efforts of commission chair Praveen Sood to persuade other commissioners to vote for his alternative divestment resolution, a majority voted down the entire topic. Some recognized that their commission should not have even considered this measure, as the Berkeley city attorney had confirmed. They openly questioned why their commission spent so many hours on this measure, which took time and resources away from its mission of helping the poor in Berkeley. And one commissioner addressed the key question that BDS tries desperately to avoid: whether measures such as this one will truly bring peace to the region. The answer to that question, of course, is no — because BDS actually might undermine efforts for a true peace in the region.

Michael Harris is with SF Voice for Israel, the San Francisco chapter of StandWithUs, an international Israel education organization. He is the author of “Winning a Debate With an Israel-Hater,” published by Shorehouse Books.

Contact the Opinion Desk at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter at @dailycalopinion.

• Dan Spitzer

If the truth be told, there’s no difference between the Palestinian thugs who have b stabbing innocent Israelis and the Islamofascist savages who murdered their way through Paris this dark day…

• lspanker

Paris attacks: At least 153 killed in gunfire and blasts, French officials say

I’m sure one of our local pundits will chime in any moment now to tell us why Israel is a bigger threat to human rights than what’s going on in France at the moment…

• Dan Spitzer

Dear Ispanker, arafat, samxie, and other fair-minded readers of topics pertaining to Israel. I woke up this morning to find that PunyStick had, in the wee hours of the morning, posted such utter bilgewater in not one but eight (!) posts that, given what he has spewed without merit in the past, that in the future you not give him the dignity of a response.
    Puny appears to do whatever he does all alone (I won’t wish to expand my imagination on this) and he is such a hater and producer of rubbish that I suggest we all ignore him and let him hereafter immerse himself in his own absurdities…

• Dan Spitzer

Ispanker, it should be clear by now to you and others who support Israel
      that the Daily Cal is more than a little biased when it comes to
      jettisoning posts written by those who are advocates for the Jewish
      state. Moreover, the paper is so obsessed with Israel in its incessant
      reportage, editorials, op-eds and letters that I for one am now given to
      calling the publication the “Daily Palestinian.”

The paper can no longer pretend, given its obsession with the Palestinians and its manifest biases, that it is remotely interested in examining the truth on this issue. Rather, it has succumbed to promulgating the pro-Palestinian propaganda of SJP/MSA and company.

How sad for the students of UCB who understandably might forego reading that which holds such scant interest for them and which is so given over to
      propaganda…

• Arafat

Ispanker, another way to say the same thing: “I have a hard time believing that people
    who willingly let terrorists strap suicide vests to their children care even
    one bit about “peace, freedom and justice”.

• Grouchy Gus

It says a great deal about Zionists that they regard the opinions of Limbaugh, FOX, Hannity, Mark Levin, David Horowitz, et al as “legitimate sources of information.”

• Arafat

Who said we regard them as legitimate? You did, not us?

Do you understand the difference between your assumptions and reality?

• Grouchy Gus

The above post by ‘Ron Barak’ is plagiarized from a 2008 article in David Horowitz’s rightwing publication: http://archive.frontpagemag.com/Printable.aspx?ArtId=30960

• SamXie

Thats not a rebuttal. Everything he says is true.

• Arafat

Correct. Everything is true so Grouchy attacks the messenger to distract us from the truth.

• Ron Barak

Have you failed to notice the source I put at the very bottom of my post, or are you just in the habit of ad homineming without checking first?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Why would Berkeley vote to fall in line with the right wing Israeli settler movement?

• Arafat

I would not expect Berkeley to vote sensibly if that’s what you’re asking.

• lspanker

It isn’t Jews or Israelis murdering people in Paris tonight, troll.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

And it’s not the Palestinian Christians, Druze , Samaritans, muslims,agnostics , or atheists so what’s your point
        You bigoted islamophobic racist.
        Why don’t you join your right wing nazis buddies in Europe.
        You awkwardly associating the senseless violence in France with issues relating to the illegal occupation of palestine by israelis shows you don’t what your talking about.

• lspanker

The ones doing the killing are ones on YOUR side of the issue, not mine.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

And when was the last time that happened?
    Your still stuck in 1956.
    More relevant is the amount of unaccountable acts committed against Palestinians just this week.
    Grow up and get with the times because your hasbara propaganda is wearing thin
    America first
    Not Israel

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

What a travesty
    One side had out of towners claiming to be ‘concerned’ about why a local commision was concerned with world affairs.
    Looks like someone forgot about how Berkeley rightly stood up for civil and human rights before.
    Why should this time be different?

• SamXie

The anti-Israel side was packed with out of towners. Thats why so many of them were reluctant to give their names

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

That’s not true.
        You saying it is true does not make it true.
        Typical hasbara misinformation.
        If you were there you would have noticed the personal touches and stories and experiences told by people from Berkeley(ecuminical,human/civil rights,mental health, healthcare,students,LGBTers),etc people.
        All unique and touching whereas the out of town unconditional israel supporters of apartheid all we’re saying the same thing about ‘it’s not our business’.
        Since when is human rights not a conscious concern for The people of Berkeley?

• lspanker

Blah, blah, blah… MUSLIMS are murdering people on the streets of Paris, yet you say NOTHING about that. Hypocrite…

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Cheryl Davila is a true hero.
    Hopefully her fate won’t be the same as Dorothy Thompson’s

• thompson_richard

Comparable to this fine WWI hero Sergeant York — today is Veteran’s Day, and I’m a veteran — is WWII hero Audie Murphy. One way they differ is that Sergeant Alvin York did NOT receive a Purple Heart.

William Schachte, then a lieutenant and in command, stated that he regularly led the training missions for officers recently arrived in the river delt of the Mekong such as John Kerry. One tactic described by Schachte was for a Swift Boat to tow the skimmer to the target area and wait nearby. The skimmer, manned by three people, “would go in, draw fire and get out immediately.”

The waiting Swift Boats or air support would attack the enemies thus detected. Schachte stated that he had participated in all previous skimmer missions up to and including the mission during the night of Dec. 3-4, 1968 in Cam Ranh Bay (which was the first time the future Senator and Secretary of State was wounded).

Subsequently, Kerry received the Purple Heart. The Bronze Star Medal is awarded for valor in battle or for achievement in a battlefield theater of operation. In the U.S. Military, oak leaf clusters are awarded for additional awards of the same medal. So two (2) oak leaf clusters indicates a person has received three (3) total awards of the same medal. The only medal of which Kerry received three (3) was that of the purple heart.

The circumstances of Kerry’s Bronze Star were commented upon by Del Sandusky, the helmsman on Kerry’s boat, PCF-94: “I saw the gun flashes in the jungle, and I saw the bullets skipping across the water.” Michael Medeiros, also aboard PCF-94 as crew, recalled “a massive ambush. There were rockets and light machine gun fire plus small arms.”

Elmo Zumwalt, Commander of the United States Naval Forces in Vietnam at that time, signed Kerry’s original Silver Star Medal and defended the citation in 1996, saying “It is a disgrace to the United States Navy that there’s any inference that the process was anything other than totally honest.”

Kerry received his second Purple Heart for a wound received in action on the Bo De River on Feb. 20, 1969. the Swift Boats reached the Cua Lon River, Kerry’s boat was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade round, and a piece of shrapnel hit Kerry. He still has it in his left thigh. Eight days later, along the Bay Hap river now in charge of three Swift Boats, Kerry led an assault party and conducted a sweep of the area. Again wounded, he received his third Purple Heart. Audie Murphy also earned three Purple Hearts. His first was as a Sergent in France, Sept. 25, 1944. Murphy earned his second Purple heart, Oct., 26, 1944, as a Second Lieutenant. Murphy earned his third and final Purple Heart, Jan., 25th, 1945

• Karen

Just curious. Any concrete examples of “several Jewish Berkeley residents described how they were targeted with hate speech in the few weeks leading up to this hearing”?

• Dan Spitzer

Those interested in the topic of Palestinian perspectives might learn something from the following:

Daniel Polisar, an Israeli political scientist, recently published a fascinating study in Mosaic magazine of Palestinian public opinion based on 330 polls conducted over many years. It makes for some bracing reading.

“When asked hypothetically if Israel’s use of chemical or biological weapons against Palestinians would constitute terror, 93 percent said yes,” notes Mr. Polisar. “But when the identical question was posed regarding the use of such weapons of mass destruction by Palestinians against Israelis, only 25 percent responded affirmatively.”

Other details: A 2011 poll found that 61% of Palestinians thought it was morally right to name Palestinian streets after suicide bombers. In December 2014, 78% of Palestinians expressed support for “attempts to
    stab or run over Israelis” in the West Bank and Jerusalem. Only 20% were opposed. Palestinians have also consistently supported terrorist attacks against Israelis within Israel’s original borders, “often by as much as six to one.”

From the above, one may reasonably conclude that the Palestinians have no

• Dan Spitzer

Just to finish the sentence or two from which Disquis cut me off:
      From the above, one may reasonably conclude that the Palestinians have no inclination to negotiate a peaceful settlement. Their primary inspiration in life appears to consist of little more than murdering Jews…

• Grouchy Gus

Mr Harris’ op-ed is so filled with distortion and falsehood that exposing the lies would take far more space than the op-ed itself. Let’s focus for example only on the slander of Rasmea Odeh, whom Mr Harris glibly describes as a “convicted terrorist.”

The real story of Ms Odeh is summarized by this article from The Nation: http://www.thenation.com/article/will-rasmeah-odeh-go-prison-because-confession-obtained-through-torture/. She’s actually a remarkably courageous, resilient & admirable figure, who was brutalized and tortured by the Israeli army in 1969, as a young woman. Faced with unspeakable threats, she was forced to sign a false confession to an act of “terrorism.” She nonetheless spent 10 years in an Israeli jail, based on this “confession.” Eventually, she was released, went on to win a law degree, came to the US in 1995, and became an activist, winning numerous awards for community service.

Any open-minded person can read the Nation article, and decide for him/herself if calling Ms Odeh a “terrorist” is an example of fair and honest commentary. Then consider what this means for Mr Harris’ op-ed as a whole, which is certainly at the same level as his slander of Ms Odeh.

• SamXie

No, the real story of Rasmea Odeh is that she is an unrepentant Jew- killer. As a member of the PFLP terror group, she was responsible for the supermarket bombing that killed two young men, Edward Joffe and Leon Kanner. Her co-conspirator bragged about their involvement in the murder in an Arabic language film that is widely available online. For more information on the victims of Rasmea Odeh, see http://legalinsurrection.com/2015/06/rasmea-odehs-victims-then-and-now/ For more information of the serial lies of Rasmea odeh, see http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/11/prosecutors-rasmea-odeh-serially-untruthful-for-decades/

• Grouchy Gus

Your source for this slander is a site called “Legal Insurrection.” Few people have ever heard of it, but Its own “About” page offers this self-description:

Legal Insurrection now is one of the most widely cited and influential conservative websites, with hundreds of thousands of visitors per month. Our work has been highlighted by top conservative radio personalities, such as Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin…

So, a “conservative” website, highlighted by the likes of Rush Limbaugh. And who is Mark Levin? A conservative radio talkshow host, who was once chief of staff for Ed Meese, Ronald Reagan’s Atty General. Levin has been nicknamed “The Great One” by none other than Sean Hannity. So essentially, Levin represents the ‘FOX News’ view of the world.

• SamXie

The author is a law professor at one of the finest law schools in the region. An ad hominim is not a rebuttal. Its a way to change the topic. His source was an Arabic language documentary, where Rasmea Odeh’s partner in crime bragged about their role in the supermarket bombing that killed Leon Kanner and Edward Joffe.

• Dan Spitzer

Hey Grouchy, try this: given that the Palestinians’ own polls say that their favorite political party is Hamas, and Hamas advocates worldwide Jewish genocide, by logic your support of the Palestinians means you support Jewish genocide. So kindly own up to the fact that you are an advocate of Jewish genocide. Go ahead–we’ll understand.

Palestinian women are treated as second class citizens and teenage Palestinian girls sometimes suffer honor murder. Since you support the Palestinians, please own up to the fact that by extension, you are also misogynist.
          .
          Gays are jailed, beaten and murdered throughout the Palestinian territories. Since, Grouchy, you are a supporter of the Palestinians, please own up to the fact that you are homophobic.

It is difficult to write anything critical of the PLA without going to jail in the W. Bank or in Gaza, to criticize Hamas without being executed is all too rare. Since you support the Palestinians, kindly acknowledge that you oppose freedom of expression…

• Dan Spitzer

And David Duke and his favorite pro-Palestinian commentator, Alison Weir, are ardent supporters of the Palestinians. Get the picture, or are you a bit slow on the intake?

• Dan Spitzer

First off, Grouchy, I raised questions for you which the Daily Cal unreasonably censored asking if you believe that those who support the Palestinians, whose favorite political party Hamas calls for worldwide Jewish genocide by logical extension also advocate this? And since the Palestinian women are relegated to second class status and honor murder is rife, do not champions of the Palestinians also suffer from misogyny? Moreover, since the Palestinians jail, beat or murder gays, are those who support them by definition not also homophobic? And finally, since little if any freedom of expression is permitted in the W. Bank and no criticism of the Hamas rulers is brooked in Gaza, does that make those who support the Palestinians also advocates of stifling free expression?

As for Muhammad al-Dura, who CNN and BBC along with French TV have shown cavorting in Ramallah since his Pallywood produced “death,” I fortunately read French (in this instance the authoritative Le Monde) and at the trial calling into question the veracity of his “killing,” the French judiciary stated without question that the kid’s “death” had been staged. In subsequent TV interviews, Atlantic journalist James Fallows said that this indeed appeared to be the case…

• lspanker

She’s actually a remarkably courageous, resilient & admirable figure, who was brutalized and tortured by the Israeli army in 1969, as a young woman.

Only in the mind of crazed left-wing fruitcakes is bombing a supermarket or using children as human shields to launch rocket attacks on civilians a “courageous act”…

• Dan Spitzer

This is an unmitigated lie. Grouchy quotes from the Nation, a once honorable publication which has in its later years succumbed to far left ideological stance and even regularly published the stridently anti-Semitic producer of Counterpoint (which even published David Duke’s favorite Jew-hater, Alison Weir), the late albeit not lamented Alexander Cockburn.

Ms. Odeh, celebrated of course by the likes of Hamas, the PLA and SJP, was a murderer and instead the Israelis had every right to send her off to Sunni paradise (alas for the female terrorist martyrs, I don’t believe they are promised that they will garner 72 male virgins). Instead she got off easy and when she did, the Palestinians gave their kids candy, just as they did when they celebrated 9/11…

• SamXie

Rasmea Odeh was an organizer for the PFLP terror group. Her role in a Jerusalem supermarket bombing led to the death of two young men, Edward Joffe and Leon Kanner.

Rasmea Odeh confessed to the crime just one day after her arrest, along with other co-conspirators, one of whom also directly implicated Rasmea as the mastermind of the terror plot in a 2004 documentary. The confession was incidental- bomb making equipment was found in Rasmea’s home.

• SamXie

From the newspaper reports at the time of Rasmea Odeh’s arrest and confession:

Jerusalem police said today that they had confessions from three suspects directly involved in planting bombs that wrecked the Supersol supermarket in West Jerusalem on Feb. 21, killing two Hebrew University students and injuring nine other persons. About 40 members of the gang responsible for the supermarket blast and subsequent bomb plantings at the British Consulate in East Jerusalem have been arrested. Today police said that all members of the gang were in custody. Police said the bombs were planted by two girls who received the explosives from a third saboteur. They were concealed in shopping bags. The crime has been reconstructed with the aid of the suspects, according to police. Round-ups in East Jerusalem, Ramallah and Nablus uncovered stores of explosives and sabotage equipment amidst indications that it was to have been used shortly….

Minister of Police Eliahu Sasson was visited today by the Grand Mufti of East Jerusalem and by the heads of Christian churches who inquired about the arrested terrorists. Mr. Sasson explained the gravity of the charges against them.

Police said yesterday that all of the suspects were members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, the same terrorist group responsible for assaults on El Al airliners at Athens and Zurich. Police said that terrorist cells had been uncovered in East Jerusalem, Ramallah and Nablus along with large quantities of explosives and weapons.

**********

Rasmea Odeh was complicit in the deaths of 2 young men. Excusing her is excusing murder. Mike Harris was accurate in his description- Rasmea Odeh was a terrorist, and never once apolized or showed any regret for her involvement in the murders of Leon Kanner and Edward Joffe.

• Dan Spitzer

The cartoon reflects what readers of the DC now know to be true. Its pro-Palestinian propaganda stance is illustrated once again by the cartoon showing an armed Israeli soldier next to an Israeli flag while an “every day” Palestinian is depicted standing adjacent to a Palestinian flag. This would be shameful and a violation of journalistic ethics were it not the norm of the Daily Cal’s continued advocacy of the Palestinian “cause.”

Daily Cal editors, If you are going to permit your cartoonist to drawn an Israeli soldier next to an Israeli flag, wouldn’t it also be appropriate by juxtaposition to show a Palestinian teenager brandishing a knife intended to stab some innocent Israeli?

Just ask’in…

• Grouchy Gus

Let’s see just what Dan is referring to, when he speaks of “innocent Israelis.” Here’s a recent video of several Israeli policemen interrogating a 13 yr old Palestinian boy. Though the boy is obviously just a helpless kid, scared to death & totally under the control of the police, the cops are merciless with him. They are bullying him; terrorizing him. And the thing is, even though video like this is never shown on TV in the US, Palestinians themselves are quite aware that things like this happen all the time in Israel. This is just one aspect of the daily humiliations to which they’re subjected.

I claim no knowledge of the specifics of what the kid is alleged to have done. As far as I can tell, the cops don’t even believe he really did anything, but are trying to get “information” out of him. But that’s not the point. The point is that Israeli police think it’s OK to treat a helpless kid like this.

https://www.facebook.com/hasan.ahmad.5680/videos/923539554406215/?pnref=story

• Dan Spitzer

Well, I don’t know if the video of the 13 year old being interrogated is the truth or yet another farcical work of “Pallywood.” But 13 year old Palestinians can attack with the intent of killing. Just last week, a 13 year old Palestinian boy stabbed a 13 year old Jewish Israeli youth and nearly killed him. Then PBS made the mistake of interviewing the culprit’s parents who said the Israeli police had killed him when, in fact, Israeli doctors saved the young Palestinian boy’s life…

• Yeah, those Pallywood types, they fake death so well.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Just last week over 2000 palestinian children have been afflicted by Israeli violence.
          And the Palestinian president was going off the known information at the time, before the Israeli propagandists releases illegal video of a minor in a hospital.too low is not low when it comes to inconditionally supporting israel.
          Few palestine

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Typical israeli Firster who is more than willing to rip apart local communities and throw the goodwill of America under the bus for his beloved real estate given to him by sky daddy

• Grouchy Gus

Here’s another video from a few days ago. It shows some Israeli soldiers shooting dead a 73-yr old Palestinian grandmother who was on her way to lunch. The video is only 10 seconds long, but it’s clear from it that the woman was doing absolutely nothing wrong, nor was she “posing a threat” to the soldiers. They simply gunned her down. The commentary is by Richard Silverstein, who is Jewish. His blog, in his own words, “focuses on exposing the excesses of the Israeli national security state.”

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article43373.htm

• SamXie

Astonishing. You question the blog of a Cornell law professor,but promote the blog of the oft-times discredited Richard Silverstein (a man so conversant in Mid East cultures and practices that he once claimed hummus was made from sesame seeds. )

• Grouchy Gus

As far as “questioning the blog of a Cornell law professor” — being a law professor means very little. UC’s own law professor John Yoo crafted memos justifying torture. The Supreme Court justices who appointed Bush Jr president in 2000 all had eminent legal credentials. Many of the war criminals who designed the Iraq invasion had law degrees. Etc etc.

But please, by all means, ignore Richard Silverstein’s commentary. Just look at the 10 second video, and tell us if you see any reason that would justify the Israeli soldiers shooting that woman dead. It’s just murder — as clear as the similar video of the cop who shot down the unarmed black man in S. Carolina a few months ago.

• SamXie

I prefer to watch the entire video, which shows her trying to run down a crowd of pedestrians.

• Grouchy Gus

Odd that you didn’t supply a link to the “entire” video, as I did. I guess you just “forgot.”

• SamXie

The elderly woman you wrote of? Her daughter is married to a prominent Hamas member. An Arabic website leaves no doubt about her motives

Tharwat al-Sha’raw told her daughter Ihlam, “I think I am going to die soon… If I die, oh, Allah, let me die as a shaheeda and not in my bed.”

Hamas issued a “martyr” poster for her,and they don’t do that for elderly women involved in traffic accidents.

• SamXie

The attack took place at around 4 p.m. on Wednesday, on Route 60 near the Palestinian town of Halhoul, north of Hebron. In security camera footage, the vehicle can be seen approaching a curve in the road and then speeding up and swerving into a group of security personnel.”

• lspanker

The attack took place at around 4 p.m. on Wednesday, on Route 60 near the Palestinian town of Halhoul, north of Hebron.

Years ago (August 2000), I actually drove north on that highway, from the intersection with Route 31 near Hura up to Route 35 outside of Bayt Einum. I dunno how it is today, but I can tell you back then nearly every town had a checkpoint manned by one group or another, either the IDF or PA (Palestinian Authority) Police, and in one or 2 cases a group of cowboys whose affiliation was quite questionable. Like it or not, they were there to control their little sector of highway, and if you blew past them or tried to threaten them in any manner, you would be likely to be shot. I’m willing to bet that our friend Gus here hasn’t spent much time away from his safe Berkeley home, and is used to lipping off at the local cops when he doesn’t get his way. He wouldn’t last a day in the West Bank…

• Dan Spitzer

Yes, it is indeed a fabricated Palestinian work of fiction. As noted, this is Pallywood promulgating propaganda just as it did in the Muhammad al-Dura scandal (see my post on this above or check it out on Wikipedia).

And just because Silverstein might be Jewish doesn’t mean that he is telling the truth. After all, Grouchy, you say you are Jewish and you won’t acknowledge truth in the Israeli/Palestinian realm if it hit you in the posterior as we have seen by all your patently fictitiously statements…

• Grouchy Gus

Out of curiosity, I checked it out on Wikipedia, and was unsurprised to see that you’d totally mischaracterized the incident. The Wiki page is long & complicated, but doesn’t remotely conclude that there was any “fabricated Palestinian work of fiction.” Quite the contrary — the only “conclusion” offered is that no one knows who killed the boy (if he was in fact killed). James Fallows wrote that no version of the truth about the footage will ever emerge that all sides consider believable.

The Wiki page refers to it as “an incident,” not as “a scandal.” The real “fiction”here is in your distorted & dishonest account of it.

BTW, you claim I said I was Jewish. I haven’t said a single word to that effect, but in any case, the fact that you claim I said it is simply one more illustration of your dishonesty.

• Dan Spitzer

Well, I’m certainly happy to know that you are not Jewish. We have enough JVP morons running around who can’t wait to show how much they loathe their own kind.

When it comes to Israeli Jews, I’m pleased to say that per capita, israel must lead the planet in prize winning scientists and technological innovators. Moreover, your very own life may well one day be saved by the extraordinary advances in medical science and pharmacology stemming from Israeli doctors and researchers…

• Dan Spitzer

I am fortunate to read French as I followed the Muhammad al-Dura scandal and trial in Le Monde, one of the world’s most authoritative publications. The paper found the boy, now a young man, alive and well in Ramallah. His parents had been handsomely rewarded for offering their son to preform as a “dead child.” And indeed, it certainly was an Oscar-worthy performance.
            But these days, not even the Palestinians are ready to embarrass themselves by flying in the face of reality by pretending that the kid was actually killed. I must say that the happy young man makes for a great interview as he recounts his days as an internationally known cadaver super star.
            In the last Gaza war, a prime propagandist for the Palestinians (he’s currently making his current propaganda rounds in the US and is now in the home of Pallywood’s home away from home, Berkeley), the Norwegian Dr. Mads (perfect name) Gilbert, found himself banned from CNN as the network discovered that he had fabricated an incident in which he pretended to give compression treatment to allegedly save the life of a Palestinian. The fellow, it was soon discovered, was in reality hale and hearty.
            Some may recall that Dr. Gilbert first gained international notoriety when a few days after 9/11, he told a Norwegian publication that the US got which was coming to it with the toppling of the Twin Towers. Of course, at the same time he was making such a pronouncement hundreds of the Palestinians he champions were dancing with joy in the streets of Ramallah and Gaza City…

• Annette Herskovits

I am a native French speaker. I researched Le Monde and found NO article or report stating that Mohammad al Durrah was alive. Would Dan Spitzer please post a link to the text in Le Monde he said makes this claim?

The most recent article with a reference to the Palestinian child is dated June 26, 2013. It is about a French court finding a certain Karsenty guilty of defamation for having stated that the reportage by Charles Enderlin, the first journalist to report on the killing of al Durrah, was a hoax and had been staged. Nothing about the court having erred, so it would be surprising if Le Monde had ever stated that the child was alive.

• Arafat
          • SamXie

But, but, but, WIKIPEDIA, Dan. Where all knowledge and information comes from

• Dan Spitzer

Ms. Herskovits has never learned how to do research on the Internet and given the appalling level of SJP/MSA/JVP reserach, I’m not about to assist those who support a people who call for worldwide Jewish genocide, treat women as second class citizens, give the parental or fraternal culprits of honor murder vs teenage daughters a slap on the wrist, jail, beat or murder gays, and suppress any reasonable level of dissidence. Not that members of the aforementioned organizations care about the plight of women, gays and dissidents so afflicted by their Palestinian overlords.

No, their antipathy focuses nearly exclusively upon democratic Israel while throughout the planet at this very time, Muslims are butchering by the thousands other Muslims and sometimes Christians and Jews. The actions of ISIS and al Queda do not differ in any substantial measure from the Palestinians favorite political party, Hamas, and its manifestations of barbarism.

Unfortunately, for the “haters” and their ignorant fellow idiot-logue comrades on college campuses such as UCB, it can definitively be said that Palestinian Lies Matter…

• Annette Herskovits

Just send the link to the article you read.

• Dan Spitzer

My regrets, Ms. Herskovits for not responding in a way you might have read earlier. But then again, I can’t really apologize for the zealously censorious Daily Cal, becoming better known to some of us as the Daily Palestinian, because one or more of its editors saw fit to remove my earlier note to you.

Although you (I believe) and I read French, it would doubtless be better for the readers of this cite if they read about the Muhammad al-Dura scandal in English as examined by one of America’s most decorated journalist, James Fallows of The Atlantic (I believe he is now an editor there).

This piece was published in 2003 and Fallows later was interviewed several times on television news talk shows in which he said that he definitively believed that the “killing” of Muhammad al-Dura was the product of what has since become known as “Pallywood.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2003/06/who-shot-mohammed-al-dura/302735/

• SamXie

Hear it for yourself. Philippe Karsenty, deputy mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine -the man who exposed the al-Dura hoax is in the Bay area this week, speaking at a variety of venues, including:

November 18 at Mechanic’s Institute:
            Wednesday, November 18, 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
            Mechanic’s Institute, 57 Post Street, San Francisco

He’ll also be speaking at Stanford, but I feel no need to publicize their events. (Go Bears!)

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Hasbara propaganda strikes again
            A land without people
            1967 was defensive
            Uss Liberty
            Pollard
            Suppression of info during the 1930s and 1940s including funneling charity donations to Zionists
            Mixing up Saddam Hussein with WMDs
            Everything about BiBi.
            Why would the citizens of Berkeley fall in line with the right wing israeli likud?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Richard Silverstein is spot on in defending the rights of Palestinians.
          So is Roger waters, Penelope Cruz, Alice Walker, einstein, Ghandi, mandela,renaldo,whoopi Goldberg, Emma Thompson , Cornell west, chomsky, finkelstein, miko Peled I could go on

• SamXie

More and more, the Palestinians are dismissing these people, saying “They don’t speak for us”. And incidentally, Einstein was a proud Zionist. in a 1919 letter to a friend, he wrote
            ” What makes me happiest is the [prospective] realization of a Jewish state in Palestine. It seems to me that our brethren [Stammgenossenen] really are nicer [sympathische] (at least less brutal) than these awful [scheuslichen] Europeans. ”
            Letter to Paul Ehrenfest
            March 22, 1919
            Physics Today , April 2005
            Translated and annotated by Bertram Schwarzschild

Also in 1919 he wrote

“Zionist cause is very close to my heart…. I am very confident of the happy development of the Jewish colony and am glad that there should be a tiny speck on this earth in which the members of our tribe should not be aliens….

One can be internationally minded, without renouncing interest in one’s tribal comrades.”

• Grouchy Gus

You are turning Einstein’s actual views upside-down. While naturally opposing Jewish persecution, he actually opposed the creation of a Jewish state, writing in 1938, “I should much rather see reasonable agreement with the Arabs on the basis of living together in peace than the creation of a Jewish state. Apart from the practical considerations, my awareness of the essential nature of Judaism resists the idea of a Jewish state with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power…

He also despised Zionist terror groups like Irgun, and wrote a 1948 letter to the NY Times (together with other Jewish American intellectual luminaries such as Hannah Arendt) specifically calling Menachem Begin a fascist.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/this-day-in-jewish-history/.premium-1.629813

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2014/08/einstein-warned-israeli-mistreatment-arabs.html

• Arafat

Einstein was a prominent supporter of both Labor Zionism and efforts to encourage Jewish-Arab cooperation.[16] He supported the creation of a Jewish national homeland in the British mandate of Palestine but was initially opposed to the idea of a Jewish state “with borders, an army, and a measure of temporal power.”[6]:33 Einstein was rather a Cultural Zionist who supported the idea of a Jewish homeland in Palestine but conceived of this as a bi-national state with “continuously functioning, mixed, administrative, economic, and social organizations.”[17][18]

• Arafat

When President Harry Truman recognized Israel in May 1948, Einstein declared it “the fulfillment of our (Jewish) dreams.”[28] Einstein also supported vice president Henry Wallace’s Progressive Party during 1948 Presidential election which also advocate pro-Soviet and pro-Israel foreign policy.[29]

• Arafat

Einstein served on the Board of Governors of The Hebrew University of Jerusalem. In his Will of 1950, Einstein bequeathed literary rights to his writings to The Hebrew University, where many of his original documents are held in the Albert Einstein Archives.[30]

• Grouchy Gus

Anyone who knows anything about Einstein understands that he would have been among the very first to denounce Israel’s massacre(s) in Gaza. He would have denounced the Occupation. He would have denounced present-day Israel’s over-the-top racism and discrimination against Palestinians. He termed Menachem Begin a “fascist,” and today’s Israel is simply the logical fruition of what Begin represented.

Einstein’s views were always those of a humanist, never those of a nationalist zealot (a term that correctly describes today’s Israel). Einstein would have despised the ideology of Jewish supremacy that embodies today’s Israel. A man of integrity and principle like Einstein would have supported today’s Israel no sooner than he would have joined the Ku Klux Klan.

• Grouchy Gus

Here’s a relevant quote from Bertrand Russell, who was well-known to have been on the same wavelength as Einstein in many important respects:

The tragedy of the people of Palestine is that their country was ‘given’ by a foreign power to another people for the creation of a new state. The result was that many hundreds of thousands of innocent people were made permanently homeless. With every new conflict their numbers increased. How much longer is the world willing to endure this spectacle of wanton cruelty? It is abundantly clear that the refugees have every right to the homeland from which they were driven, and the denial of this right is at the heart of the continuing conflict. No people anywhere in the world would accept being expelled en masse from their country; how can anyone require the people of Palestine to accept a punishment which nobody else would tolerate? A permanent just settlement of the refugees in their homeland is an essential ingredient of any genuine settlement in the Middle East.

“Message from Bertrand Russell to the International Conference of Parlimentarians in Cairo, February 1970.” Reprinted in The New York Times, Feb. 23, 1970.

• Dan Spitzer

Unable to fabricate Albert Einstein’s antipathy toward Israel, Grouchy turns to Bertrand Russell, a most overrated academic if there ever was one…

• Arafat

Grouchy,

You have no idea what Einstein would have thought. How do you know he would not have shared Robert Aumann’s opinions (Aumann, an IIsraeli mathematician who won a Nobel Prize three years ago)? Aumann is an adament Zionist.

To assume Einstein would have thought one way or another in light of how the Palestinians have turned into worshipers of Jewish death is to assume something ridiculous.

In fact much of Israel was once more idealist and less realistic about the Palestinians. The Palestinian’s intransigence and continued unwillingness to recognize Israel’s right to exist has turned many Jews against any agreement with the Palestinians. No doubt Einstein – being an ardent Zionist – would have thought in line with Robert Aumann.

• Dan Spitzer

How ridiculous! Israel no more “massacred” anyone in Gaza than the allies did in German cities during WWII. Like the Nazis, Hamas started a war and then its people paid the price. And they deserved to do so for electing a party of lunatic fundamentalists who treat women, gays and dissidents as if they were trash and which calls for worldwide Jewish genocide…

• Arafat

Penelope Cruz? Now there’s an international expert we should all look towards for profound insights!

Cornell West and Noam Chomsky never met a socialist or a perceived underdog they did not root for. Chomsky is a big supporter of the Ayatollahs. The same Ayatollahs who sanction death for homosexuals, forced burkas for women, brutal repression of the Bahia, etc.

• Dan Spitzer

Pineapple Pee Cruz has only two things going for her and they reside on her chest, not within her brain…

• lspanker

The video is only 10 seconds long

Why not show us the longer one, or will that not help you make your case?

• SamXie

Because, before it was heavily edited,it shows her trying to run down pedestrians. But you already knew that answer, didn’t you?

• lspanker

Yep, figgered that much. BTW, you notice that comments are starting to disappear here? We must have violated the mod’s “safe space” by making comments he or she found “hurtful” or “distressing”…

• Dan Spitzer

As I noted earlier, just look at the cartoon accompanying this op-ed and you will see just who the Daily Cal favors when it comes to its incessant reportage, editorials, op-eds, and letters to the editorial on anything pertaining to the Israelis and Palestinians. Of course, pro-Israeli commentary is all-too-often censored by the Daily Cal. This simply reflects the paper’s biases on this topic…

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

This simply reflects that the D C won’t tolerate hate speech
            Free palestine

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Look at the broken bones videos

• Arafat

The ones from Syria and Iraq?

• Dan Spitzer

And France?

• Arafat

And Spain, and Algeria, and Sudan and Nigeria and, and, and…

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

You must not have seen the thousands of you tube videos of the daily lives of what Palestinians have had to endure at the hands of an illegal occupation and Jim crow discrimination and seige and price tags

• Arafat

Facts do not matter to CrookedTwigGooseSteps. Facts like the individual freedoms Muslim Israelis enjoy versus the repression Muslim governments practice everywhere else. Palestinians can vote in Israel but not in any Muslim country. Palestinians can own land in Israel but not in any other country.

In syria Palestinians are pent up in refugee camps and have been for generations. In Israel Palestinians can go to universities and study for any profession they so desire. In Lebanon Palestinians have no rights and are also forced to live in refugee camps. In Israel Palestinian civilians travel freely.

CrookedTwig is today’s Goebbels.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

The car is stopped and the soldiers gunned down grandma.
          Looks like the police who did the same thing to the 9 year old autistic kid yesterday in Alabama .
          The Alabama folks must have learned their militarization in Israel
          Go figure
          Free Palestine
          Bds

• Dan Spitzer

Grouchy, do you by any chance remember the Muhammad al-Dura “murder” of the year 2000. I am referring to a little Palestinian boy allegedly killed by Israeli soldiers while in the arms of his father. Well, as proven in a French court, the little bugger turned up alive and well in Ramallah as this was a “Pallywood” production which went viral. It was as much of a fraud as the videos of which you speak, which for good reason have not aired on Western broadcasting channels.
        On the other hand, an 80 year old Israeli woman and a 72 year old man were indeed stabbed by Palestinian terrorist teenage thugs. Even the Palestinians won’t deny this…

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

I guess deir Yassin ,kafr qassem ,khan younis ,Gaza, sabra, shatila ,broken bones policies, mowing the lawn policies are all pally wood too?
          Funny since many of those atrocities happened before the Internet.
          Palestinians don’t forget

• Arafat

Palestinians don’t forget to make the same mistakes.

• SamXie

Coincidentally Philippe Karsenty, deputy mayor of Neuilly-sur-Seine -the man who exposed the al-Dura hoax is in the bay area this week, speaking at a variety of venues, including:

November 18 at Mechanic’s Institute:
          Location: Mechanic’s Institute, 57 Post Street, SF, CA

• Dan Spitzer

A new British poll shows most Brits see Israel as a key ally and only one in nine Brits support any kind of a boycott vs the Jewish State.
      Meanwhile, the support of the American people for Israel has never been higher. Correspondingly, support for the Palestinians is at an extremely low ebb.
      So what has all the strum and drang and the pro-Palestinian vomitous thunder spewed on UC campuses given the Palestinians?

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

Who cares about BRITISH polls
        And actually the same poll showed that a good majority of Brits fully support Palestinian civil and human rights.
        Your ommission of the full facts is typical hasbara propaganda and is duly noted

• SamXie

Most Zionists, including PM Netanyahu, support Palestinian civil and human rights. Thats why they are opposed to the terrorist group Hamas governing Gaza.

• Grouchy Gus

Here’s an actual article on this subject with an actual link. Naturally, it says almost the exact opposite of what Dan claims. It’s titled, “Poll of British Jews finds widespread unease with Israel’s policies.” Here’s an excerpt:

…The key findings of the poll include:

75% of British Jews agree that “the expansion of settlements on the West Bank is a major obstacle to peace”, and 68% have a “sense of despair” whenever new expansion is approved.

73% believe Israel’s approach to peace is damaging its standing in the world.

71% see the two-state solution as the only way Israel can achieve peace.

72% reject the statement that “the Palestinians have no legitimate claim to a land of their own”.

62% support ceding territory to achieve peace, but that falls to 50% if withdrawal is seen as posing a risk to Israel’s security.

47% see the Israeli government as “constantly creating obstacles to avoid engaging in the peace process” (32% disagreed)….

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/12/poll-of-british-jews-finds-widespread-unease-with-israels-policies

• Dan Spitzer

Grouchy, you are citing comments collected by Mondoweiss, one of the truly ardent anti-Israel sites to be found. The polls show otherwise.
          It’s pretty appalling that you ALWAYS look uncritically to that which ratifies your own narrow-minded opinion. I was going to add that you might actually learn something if you were willing to consider that which differs from your preconceived notions. But I see little in your posts which would give me any confidence in this..

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

You mean they should have illustrated the forced sterilizations, lynchings, demolitions, apartheid, seige, Jim Crow laws that Israelis like to do to anyone that is like them.
      Free palestine

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

The illustration actually appears a lot like Israeli hasbara propaganda and it is callous for the DC to have displayed a flag of a rogue ‘state’ built off the remnants of 1930s Germany

• lspanker

Israel declared Independence on 14 May 1948, with the US extending de facto recognition the same day. The Soviet Union extended de jure recognition 3 days later. The fact that the 2 most powerful nations in the world at the time, and the leaders of 2 ideologically opposed blocs, recognized Israel on short notice flies in the face of your uninformed comments. Furthermore, Israeli territory was based on lands administered under the British Mandate, which was in NO relation related to anything having to do with Germany. You puff your chest and posture as some authority on Middle East history but in reality you are nothing more than an ignorant, impotent, blithering fool, motivated more by your irrational hatred of Jews than any semblance of logic, reason, or common sense.

• BigSticksWalkSoftly

That was nice to highlight how a bunch of foreign nations decided the fate of Palestine.
          Sounds like you advocate for rape and torture and might makes right land grabs.
          Disgusting.
          Btw recognizing a country does not entitle said country to further steal other people’s
          Land.
          Your right wing settler colonial land thieving mentality prevents you from seeing the truth and puts you in the same boat of unconditional Israeli defenders who can only think about ways to destroy Palestinian lives.
          Palestinians have a right to self determination free from the recommendations of ‘americans ‘ and ‘soviets’

• lspanker

You’re not even interested in an intelligent conversation. You merely ignore anything you can’t refute and keep on babbling your fictional nonsense.

• SamXie

Re: Cheryl Davila , ex Berkeley Human Welfare Commissioner: “As one example, she attended the recent Atlanta conference of the U.S. Campaign to End the Occupation, where an award was given to Rasmea Odeh, a convicted terrorist involved in the death of two young Israelis.”

And as another example, Cheryl Davila stood on campus as her colleagues and supporters chanted “We support the Intifada” and didn’t bat an eye.

She’s no naive innocent. She knows this movement is about the elimination of Israel.