UC Board of Regents to vote on plan to expand in-state enrollment by 10,000 students

budget - zainab ali
Zainab Ali/Staff

The UC Board of Regents will vote next week at its November meeting on a plan to expand in-state undergraduate enrollment by 10,000 students over the next three years.

The 2016-17 budget plan, released in the agenda for the meeting, assumes the expanded undergraduate enrollment. The plan arrives amid concern that the increasing number of out-of-state students attending the University of California crowds out California residents and thus counters the university’s mission of providing access to education in the state.

Per an agreement reached between the state and the university last spring, the university must allow for an increase in 5,000 students from last year’s levels by the 2016-17 academic year in order to receive an additional $25 million in funding. The budget plan affirms the university’s commitment to reaching this deadline and proposes additional enrollment growth of 2,500 during the 2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years, bringing the total increase to 10,000 students.

The $25 million provided by the state covers half the cost of educating additional California undergraduates, which UC spokesperson Dianne Klein said has been the traditional proportion the state has provided. The university will provide the other $25 million to accommodate these new students.

“The University of California is meeting the challenge of educating as many students as it possibly can to meet, and solve, the challenges of the future,” said UC President Janet Napolitano in a press release. “We are committed to sustaining increased access to our campuses and the world-class education they offer.”

The enrollment will be spread throughout the nine campuses that offer undergraduate degrees. Every campus, Klein said, will see a rise in undergraduate enrollment.

To support this expanded enrollment resource-wise, the university is requesting an additional $6 million from the state to provide for 600 more graduate students.

According to Klein, it falls on the university to retain its educational quality, and she noted that ensuring graduate students are available to teach is one of the ways in which the university will accommodate the additional enrollment.

“It’s incumbent upon us to make sure we have the optimal number of graduate students not only to help with research but also to help teach our undergraduates,Klein said. “We’re not going to add students without resources to educate them.”

Although the plan generally seeks to accommodate more California residents, it also projects an additional increase in nonresident enrollment of 1,200 undergraduates. Out-of-state students’ supplemental tuition — with the 8 percent increase in tuition combined with projected enrollment growth — will bring $68.7 million in new revenue, the budget predicts. This, however, still reflects a decrease in the level of nonresident growth from the previous year.

Tuition increases tied to inflation will begin in the 2017-18 academic year, according to Klein. Keeping tuition flat indefinitely is not an option, as mandatory costs continue to rise, Klein said.

The board will meet Nov. 18-20 at UCSF Mission Bay.

Suhauna Hussain is the lead higher education reporter. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @suhaunah.

• diwili

“Although the plan generally seeks to accommodate more California residents, it also projects an additional increase in nonresident enrollment of 1,200 undergraduates. Out-of-state students’ supplemental tuition — with the 8 percent increase in tuition combined with projected enrollment growth — will bring $68.7 million in new revenue.” And this, folks, is what it’s all about for the Regents. School is their business.

• still trying

If people think affordable housing is a possibility in Berkeley, think again. If UC continues to increase student enrollment at Berkeley, affordable housing will never occur. 20 years ago, Berkeley accepted 3500 freshman each year. Now it is over 7000. Each year UC adds about 500 to 900 more freshman than the previous year. Berkeley does not have the land to build all the housing UC’s plans require. Until the elephant in the room leaves or goes on a diet, Berkeley will never have truly affordable housing for young families.

• CalAlum99

It’s the UC system #’s, not Berkeley’s. Expanding campuses (e.g. Merced, Riverside) will probably be the focus here.

• still trying

Janet stated very clearly to the press that Berkeley will also see an increase. According to rough estimates the increase will go from the yearly norm of 400 to 600 increase added to the normal 7000 new freshman each fall to approximately 700-900 student increase. Meaning in just two years Cal’s freshman class will be close to 9000 students. The concern should not just be affordable housing, but how will the City’s infrastructure handle this increase. Plus, who plans on paying for the extra police and fire that will be needed. Just listen to the scanner now, police and fire are stretched to the braking point almost every weekend. And to keep from total collapse, Berkeley has now increased the use of mutual aid. Putting those communities at risk as well..

• CalAlum99

You’re saying that 1/5th of the increase will be at Berkeley (7k to 9k). Again, I highly doubt that. Probably in the 100’s, and at $2500 in additional funding per student add, I’m sure they can make it work just fine.

• still trying

UC stated it will increase UC’s overall admissions by 10,000 students. I don’t think that is 1/5th of the total increase but 25 years ago Cal was accepting 3400 freshman, total for the fall semester. This fall it was slightly larger than 7000. More than a 50% increase in 25 years. With just the normal increase each fall of 400-600 students we will breach 10,000 freshman in less than 4 years. With the increase of just a few hundred, we will breach 10,000 in 3 years. It does not matter if we hit those numbers in 3 or 4 years. The point being, Berkeley’s size and growth restrictions should also limit UC’s Berkeley’s growth as well. This new housing they plan, Mmny units are one and two bedrooms. Perfect for students. They can get 4-6 people into each unit and drive families out, (library gardens). At 4500.00 per month and more, Only student’s can afford this rate. Or I should say their parents and lenders. UC continues to increase student enrollment year after year at a much faster rate than units can be built. For Berkeley to survive, UC needs to cap enrollment and actually decrease it here. Also you talk funding. Right now some lectures have over 1500 students per lecture. The professors/ GSI’s are telling students not to come to the lecture but to listen via the internet. Adding a few more students per lecture will not increase costs.
            Ask the grad students that teach the classes as they try and keep health care that UC is trying to take away.

• CalAlum99

1/5 * 10,000 = 2,000 as you just mentioned.

• still trying

Yes, but I am referring to undergrads. Most grad students live in Campus housing or outside Berkeley, if married. Grad students do not put the strain on City’s infrastructure the same way. As stated many will be grad students. So, even a few hundred more undergrads is too much for City services to handle. And again, UC is packing the students in like sardines. As UC sees it, a few more will not matter. But it does.