Notes from my journal: One of the most powerful things

Journal-3_Michael-Drummond
Michael Drummond/Senior Staff

Aug. 25
It is crazy how quickly a moment, person or place can become a memory — how quickly you can crave a moment of the past and long to experience it one more time, how a person who at one point so vividly felt like home is now an outsider watching inside your life.

Aug. 27
After discussing some readings in my English class, I have come to realize that love, when it is right, is one of the most powerful tropes. One of the most powerful things.

Sept. 30
“I think you need to fall in love with the wrong person. I think you need to fight and cry and sweat and bleed and fail. I think you need to have bad relationships and breakups. I think you need all of that so that when the right person comes along you can sigh with relief and say, ‘Ah yes. That is how it’s supposed to feel.’ ” —excerpt from “Conversations With My Mother”

Oct. 4
I feel like it is up to us to do whatever is in our control to protect our hearts. Sometimes it is OK to take care of yourself. Sometimes it is OK to say no.

Oct. 19
What happened to romance and heartfelt letters? What happened to real love?

Oct. 22
I have always thought that actions and feelings do not necessarily line up with each other. Whether it is the fear of rejection or not knowing how to go about it, sometimes liking someone means not doing anything about it. And that’s scary sometimes.

Nov. 4
I used to always find comfort in making lists and planning the future. But I have come to realize that the uncertainty is what makes it so exciting and so special. And it is OK to let that guide you.

Nov. 8
In those few months, the hurt began to grow faint as the sunshine pierced her skin and channeled through her smile. She felt so strong.