Big Game Week events

(Randy Adam Romero/Staff)
Randy Adam Romero/File
(Randy Adam Romero/Staff)

On Saturday, red and white will clash with blue and gold as the Bears travel to take on the…trees (it’s like they were trying to think of an intimidating mascot but gave up and settled for trees). In preparation for Big Game, there’ll be a number of activities and events happening around campus to help raise spirit and excitement for the game.

The first changes to occur on campus will be the increase in UC Berkeley spirit. Places such as Sather Gate, the Campanile and Doe Library will all be covered in the signature Berkeley blue and California gold. Don’t let the cold prevent you from strolling around campus to see it light up to our official school colors.

Next, starting Tuesday and ending Thursday, there’ll be an event where people can get free UC Berkeley T-shirts as long as they bring two cans of food (to be donated to a local food bank) and a red T-shirt (to be donated to Goodwill). So go to Sproul Plaza any time between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. to exchange your red shirt and cans of food for some free UC Berkeley swag.

On Wednesday, stop by Sproul Plaza around noon for the annual tree chopping rally. The Cal Logging Sports Team will be performing the demolition of Stanford’s mascot by chainsawing its way through some logs. Oski may even come to support these loggers, so even if you’re a tree-hugger, come say hi to your favorite bear.

Additionally, on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m., the voices of angels will be heard ringing out of 155 Dwinelle. On this fine evening, an event called “The Big Sing” will take place where both Stanford and UC Berkeley’s acapella groups will be perform as they try and sing their way to victory.

On Thursday, the Big Give will occur, which is an all-day fundraising event hosted by UC Berkeley in an effort to get people to donate money to their favorite departments or programs on campus to help them stay alive and running.

While the Big Give is going on, there’ll also be a Night Rally that will start at 8 p.m. in front of Stern Hall. Walk with the Rally Committee, Cal Spirit and Cal Band all the way from Stern Hall to the residence halls while singing and chanting spirit songs and maybe even waving the flag if you’re lucky.

To get students excited for the game, the last Big Game rally, featuring a pyrotechnics show, will take place at Edwards Stadium at 6:30 p.m. Friday. Then finally, the Big Game will occur at the Stanford Stadium on Saturday. Wear red and you shall be banished.

Contact Emilia Malachowski at [email protected].