BARE career panel promotes the message, ‘be authentic’

BARE magazine/Courtesy

BARE Magazine, UC Berkeley’s semesterly fashion and arts glossy, invited five Bay Area women in the fashion/foodie sphere to speak to students about their careers in a panel labeled Baring it All. The speaker series was started at the magazine’s inception and has been an important part of BARE’s history.

“We’ve always wanted to keep Baring it All more raw, more real and less like, ‘Let me hussle and get my next job,’ and more, ‘What can I learn from you?’ ” said Christy Wang, director of events for the magazine. “It’s kind of like a bigger version of a coffee chat.”

In a small lecture room beneath Cheit Hall at Haas Business school, five women sat facing a small crowd of students eager to receive industry wisdom: Sara Deseran, food writer and co-owner of Mexican food chain Tacolicious; Lily Kaplan, food blogger and social media strategist; Corina Nurimba, co-owner of Azalea Boutique in San Francisco; Lindsey Louie, an SF based blogger and product manager at Twitter; and Jess Lee, founder of women’s wear destination Modern Citizen. The women discussed finding your niche and the importance of networking to get ahead. The bottom line? #BeAuthentic.

Louie had a few words to offer after the discussion about the future of blogging as it stands among social media.

“I think that traditional blogging is a thing of the past, and I think that social media, Instagram mainly, Pinterest, video, is huge,” Louie told the Daily Californian. “I think that all these different social media platforms are replacing traditional blogging altogether.”

Past panelists have included a co-founder of Lookbook, Project Runway contestant Melissa Fleis, and a graphic designer from Gap. Wang said that Baring it All isn’t just an opportunity for students to engage with the speakers, but that the panelists stay connected after all is said and done.

Kaplan provided a quick tip for revamping your Instagram: Pick a series of your favorite colors and feature them prominently.

Wang reaches out to panelists based on her own followings. She’s followed Kaplan and Louie on Instagram for years, and she met Lee at a Modern Citizen event back in August. Wang builds the panel to fit speakers that will jive well and create a rolling dialogue.

BARE presented a genuinely exciting mix of industry movers and shakers to talk to in a non-threatening environment. The speakers were refreshingly receptive to the students after the panel and stayed until long after the event was officially over to chat with attendees.

“It just all comes together,” Wang said.

Elizabeth Moss covers fashion. Contact her at [email protected].