Celebrate the holidays in the Bay

events_bullwinkel
Lisa Bullwinkel/Courtesy

The holiday season is fast approaching, and as the air begins to cool, the sales, specials and celebrations are heating up. Berkeley and the Bay Area will host a variety of holiday-themed gatherings that are welcoming to students and families alike. The Daily Californian has compiled a list of events to put you in the winter spirit.

The WiLD 94.9 and iHeartRadio Jingle Ball concert will bring big stars to Oakland on Dec. 3. Selena Gomez, Calvin Harris, Demi Lovato and Nick Jonas will be among the 10 scheduled performers at the show in Oracle Arena. Tickets are available online and begin at about $38 plus fees.

Berkeley is also joining in the holiday spirit with its fourth Holiday Tree Lighting ceremony. On Dec. 4 at 5:30 p.m., Mayor Tom Bates will light the tree at the Downtown Berkeley BART station plaza and will be joined by City Councilmember Jesse Arreguin. The event will also feature singing, dancing and holiday drinks and treats, according to Travis LeMaster, program coordinator for the Downtown Berkeley Association.

On Dec. 6 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., build a snowman at the Snow Day in the Gourmet Ghetto. The event, sponsored by the North Shattuck Association, will feature live ponies, a snow queen ready to hear your holiday wishes and snacks from local vendors. For $10, guests can enter a contest to win a real diamond ring hidden inside a snowball.

“You may get no other chance to play in the snow, make a snowball or feel that white goodness, since there isn’t much up in the Sierra,” said event producer and Hoopla CEO Lisa Bullwinkel in an email. Attendees are encouraged to bring a container to take snow home with them at the end of the event.

The Crucible, an Oakland nonprofit arts education organization, will be hosting its annual Holiday Gifty, a winter open house and holiday art sale, from Dec. 12-13. A variety of handmade art — including glass, wood, ceramic and metal — will be on sale, along with bikes, clothing and more. Additionally, there will be live art demonstrations and food and drinks available. Gifty will take place at the Crucible, near the West Oakland BART station.

For six days in December, Telegraph Avenue will come alive with more than 150 artists ready to sell unique gifts and celebrate the holiday season.

“We run the full gamut of ‘handcrafted-only’ choices,” said Grace Stotts, co-coordinator of the event in an email. “None of the vendors import from other countries — everything is made in the USA.”

The Telegraph Avenue Holiday Street Fair will feature distinctive gifts such as jewelry, pottery, paintings and photography from local artists. Additionally, there will be food available for purchase and live music every hour on each day of the fair. Find the fair from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Dec. 12, 13, 19, 20, 23 and 24.

More than 100 artists will open up their works and studios for viewing during the 25th Berkeley Artisans Holiday Open Studios, running Saturdays and Sundays in late November and throughout December. Handcrafted art — including furniture, ornaments, menorahs, bags and more — will be available for viewing and purchase.

“It celebrates the work of the hand and our community of creative people,” said Susan Brooks, co-founder of Berkeley Artisans in an email. “It is not an anonymous purchase — it is a personal experience.”

Studios throughout Berkeley will be open, and a map and listing of locations is available online.

Contact Mitchell Handler at [email protected].