UC transfer application deadline extended to Jan. 4

Update 12/2/15: This article has been updated to reflect information from transfer student applicants to the University of California.

Transfer deadlines for admission to the University of California for fall 2016 have been pushed back to Jan. 4, the UC Office of the President announced Wednesday.

Originally set for Nov. 30, the application deadline was extended to give qualified in-state students more time to prepare their application to the university, according to UCOP spokesperson Kate Moser.

“Whether applicants have already submitted their applications or have now got a little more time to do that, we welcome those applications and we’re hoping the extra time will help academically prepared students from around the state transfer to a UC campus next fall,” Moser said in an email.

Jack Chervet, a transfer student applicant from Las Positas College in Livermore, California, applied to five UC campuses, including Berkeley. Previously unaware of the announcement, he said he wasn’t bothered that the extension was announced after the initial deadline.

“At the end of the day, I didn’t need extra days. I would’ve just changed some words (and) not that much more,” Chervet said. “I don’t think it would’ve made that much of a difference.”

But not every transfer applicant appreciated the timing of the university’s decision to extend the deadline. Joel French — a student at Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, California, who submitted his application before Nov. 30 — said he thought the university should allow students who adhered to the original deadline to make modifications to their applications.

“I decided late in November that I was going to transfer, and I did not write the best essay I possibly could have for the personal statement,” French said. “Now that I know that I had a whole other month … it’s extremely aggravating.”

The university’s decision comes amid its efforts to expand the enrollment of California residents — by 5,000 in the next academic year alone. The university has also worked to streamline the process of transferring from community colleges by launching Transfer Pathways, a program intended to help students graduate from UC campuses within two years upon transferring, in July.

About 30 percent of all UC undergraduates are transfer students, according to the UC admissions website.

Giving transfer students more time to file their applications will help hard-working, eligible students across the state make their way to a UC campus next fall,” said UC President Janet Napolitano in the press release.

Senior staff writer Alexandra Yoon-Hendricks contributed to this report.

Andrea Platten covers higher education. Contact her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @andreaplatonic.