Happy National Roof Over Your Head Day

Berkeley-house_Michael-Drummond
Michael Drummond/Senior Staff

As we get closer and closer to winter break, there are plenty of things to be thankful for: no more classes, finally getting to go home soon and the fact that we actually managed to survive another semester at one of the best universities in the world. Even though Thanksgiving was last week, we can never run out of things to be thankful for. Sometimes, we take these things for granted. But it’s important to be conscious of all the little things we have to be grateful for, because they aren’t so little after all.  For example, waking up in the morning, having access to higher education and even having a roof over your head.

Thursday is National Roof Over Your Head Day. This holiday is meant to remind us to be thankful for what we have. Shelter is a basic need that we often don’t realize is actually a luxury. Having a roof over our heads keeps us safe, warm and healthy. It’s so easy to come home every day and not think twice about the fact that we are lucky enough to have somewhere to call home. Especially at this time of the year, it’s so nice to have the choice to spend time indoors, escape the cold and rain and enter a safe space where we can rest comfortably.

But not everyone is lucky enough to have this choice. National Roof Over Your Head Day is also here to remind us that there are so many people in the world who don’t enjoy certain privileges. According to the National Alliance to End Homelessness, there are more than half a million people in the United States who are homeless on any given night. Many of us have no idea what that struggle is like, and most of us will never have to face such an experience.

The homeless population in Berkeley is visible, but it’s still so easy for many of us to take for granted the simple thing of having a roof over our heads. We forget that it’s often the simple things we take for granted, such as having shelter, food, water and even having people who care about us. Celebrate National Roof Over Your Head Day by taking the time to appreciate everything and everyone around you. Reflect on the things in life that you sometimes forget to acknowledge, and reach out to your loved ones to let them know you appreciate them. You can even celebrate the holiday by keeping the less fortunate in mind. Maybe even volunteer for the Berkeley Food & Housing Project to help provide aid to those in need.

Stay thankful and, as always, stay golden.

Love,
Your friends at the Clog

Contact Rayanne Piaña at [email protected].